SB 64 part IV: diamond is not crash (voting ends october 17!)

oh shit i completely missed this, catching up now then voting

aahhh i did not mean to vote for nier and it wont let me change! ahh its a weird glitch every time i click show vote it just shows me the options and every itme i click it they show up again so it just says

NIER
DONKEY KONG
NIER
DONKEY KONG

over and over in a big list but it wont actually let me change. i will return in a fewhours to see if its less broken otherwise please make sure you dont count my vote towards nier i only finished a loop of that game and the combat was too annoying to do again but harder. i only like the ffxiv nier raids because they dont have nier combat

This just dropped. Thinking about changing my vote… Quake is still my personal preference but SoR2’s vibe is so fucking cool.

2 Likes

Streets of Rage may be the best beat-em up but I’ve been spending the past few weeks of nights and weekends learning how to make my own Quake maps and this evening I made a staircase that rises up out of the floor, one step at a time, when you shoot a button or walk over a switch in the floor and I don’t think anything is ever going to be able to compare to how cool that felt when I finally got it all working correctly.

8 Likes

I’m just happy Nier wins this one

2 Likes

somehow I almost missed this! and dragon’s dogma is in it! dragon’s dogma is already the best game out of all these don’t @ me

sor2’s soundtrack is honestly impeccable and hearing go straight come on at the second SB meetup was probably one of the best things that ever happened to me

5 Likes

I decided to be a chaos agent and waited until now to vote, without reading any of the later posts in the thread. Lotta tough choices here. Going to explain my rationale because I like talking about video games.

Super Mario 64
vs
Ikaruga

I honestly think Mario 64 is a little overrated, but I’ve never liked shoot-them-down games that much other than Air Zonk and Fantasy Zone. Be cute or shut up, in my opinion, shooting games… SM64 was a game changer. I heard you can play as Yoshi.

Dark Souls
vs
Final Fantasy VI

FF6 is honestly my favorite video game narrative ever created. I like Dark Souls but it has one of the worst swamp levels of all time that totally killed the pace of the game for me and I never got back into it.

People complaining about the pace of FFVI should consider this position: The WoR section of FFVI is a battle against apathy. It’s post apocalyptic, and everyone has become convinced that the world has been destroyed and there’s nothing you can do about it. Getting the band back together by convincing everyone to give world peace another chance is this meandering, circuitous thing, and the contrast to the breakneck race-against-the-clock feel is part of what makes the game good. You raced against the clock, you failed, now you just have to live in the shitty world your failure created and muster up the strength to do something about it. It’s a good game.

Ico
vs.
Portal

Both of these games honestly always felt too corny for me to get into, but Ico seems more imaginative.

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
vs.
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

If you know my Zelda Thoughts you know I think LA is actually kind of overrated, but I read a synopsis of K&L2:DD the other day and it sounded racist as fuck. No idea why anyone would want to spend even a minute of their time with these characters or this world, when I learned it was made by smug Europeans everything made sense.

Sky Odyssey
Vs.
Sonic Adventure

Happy to have made this one a tie LOL

Doom / Doom II
vs
Outrun

I dunno, I just started thinking about how the DOOM song goes with everything and it would be cool if someone hacked Outrun to have the DOOM soundtrack.

Nier
vs.
Donkey Kong '94

I know NIER is probably brilliant or whatever but the series has always felt like a hundred percent too far up its own ass for me to get into. There’s a Purity to Donkey Kong.

Chrono Trigger
vs.
Bubble Bobble

Both of these games are so deep in my DNA I actually feel like it is quite easy for me to judge them against one another. If either of these games were up against any other game in this list I would have to vote for either of them, but when they are fighting each other I can see that Chrono Trigger is just… like… better. Damn Bub & Bob, hate to see it end this way.

Dragon’s Dogma
vs.
Umihara Kawase

Still haven’t got that far in DD but I love its whole vibe. I know Umihara Kawase is a legendary game but it never appealed to me.

Super Mario Bros. 3
vs.
Gunstar Heroes

I feel like Treasure games are sort of like Wes Anderson movies and (this era of) Nintendo games are like Ozu. Not going to explain this.

Quake
vs.
Streets of Rage 2

Is this the one where your special attack is calling a cop car to shoot a bazooka at crooks? That sucks so much but is also hilarious. I feel like this is the only game that understands cops.

9 Likes

That’s Streets of Rage 1. Switch your vote to Quake!

1 Like

Oh crap! I dunno, I feel like voting for Doom would make it unfair for me to also vote for Quake. Quake is pretty cool though…

Air Zonk is excellent. I assume you have not yet played Harmful Park or it would be among your acceptable titles. If you haven’t, I would strongly recommend doing so.

2 Likes

Thanks for the rec! I haven’t, that is the best video game title I’ve ever heard though

I used all my spare votes to push things towards ties and foster chaos.

5 Likes

going back and reading some of the older posts now

you should totally share more about it on here when your friend finishes the game, it sounds amazing

1 Like

Bub and Bob were people?

I never got close to beating the sequel (which is pretty cool) but they assume their human forms as Bubby and Bobby. Nice little ripoff of ‘Somewhere Over the Rainbow’.

3 Likes

really like playing rainbow islands a looooot more than bubble bobble, but I don’t like that they are little humans now

1 Like

Yeah, I prefer playing RI as well. The dinos are definitely better character designs but…I’ve developed an affection for the Max Fleischer-esque grotesquery of their humanoid forms.

3 Likes

The only reasons game I voted for lost is because of the 20 non-voters this time. It is Everybody Votes.

Kane and Lynch will return.

1 Like

really links awakening over dog days. if these games are so great how come nobody has even posted about links awakening or super metroid since like insert credit. where were all my comrades from the bonner party massacre. apparently our Alliance was more Fragile than I thought

5 Likes

i have to assume k&l2’s co-op is just transcendently good because otherwise it is the single biggest appreciation gap between me and everyone else re: a beloved sb game

i think im predisposed to be annoyed at it because of how many times ive had it explained that the luridness and brutality was the point and been like “you mean it’s about two gritty asshole white guys who yell ‘fuck’ a lot… on purpose?? wow not enough media about dudes like that”

5 Likes