Sayonara America, Sayonara Nippon - '70—'80s Japanese Music

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/6673-pacific-breeze-2-japanese-city-pop-aor-boogie-1972-1986

bundle includes towel like the first one, but also a sweet 24" felt blacklight poster

2 Likes

Dang I do not need vinyl but dang.

From the Sugar Babe Dissolution Concert (Ogikubo Loft, April 1, 1976)
♪ “Windy Lady” Words & Music by Tatsuro Yamashita
Members:
Tatsuro Yamashita (Vo, G, Key, B),
Taeko Onuki (Key, Vo),
Kunio Muramatsu (G, Vo),
Jiro Terao (B),
Hiroshi Uehara (Ds)
Guest:
Ginji Ito (G, Vo),
Ryuichi Sakamoto (Key)
Source: NHK-FM
Tape: SONY Pops84 TYPETYPE

3 Likes

my review: WEELLLLCOMMM TOOOO MYYYY BOOOOOAT / 10

Not directly relevant but Nobuhiko Obayashi, who directed Hausu (which has an excellent fusiony/funky soundtrack), passed away.

His commercial with Charles Bronson (for MANDOM cologne) also has a great and very 70s big band disco jingle.

The first edition of this album was released in 1982 on lp. i composed “music for nine post cards” while catching the waves of scenery out of the window and feeling the sounds form. images of the movement of clouds, the shade of a tree in summer time, the sound of rain, the snow in a town, with those rather quiet sound images, i sought to add the tone of ink painting to the pieces.

differing from the minimal musical style in my former piece" clouds for alma- for two koto harps" (1978), in this music a short refrain is played over and over while it changes its form gradually just like clouds or waves, based on the sound fragments noted on the 9 postcards. i put the first fragment of the sound, a seed or a stone as it were, to seek the “prime number” of the sound.

one day when i was composing this piece, i visited the brand-new contemporary art museum in the north shinagawa area i took to its snow-white art-deco style, but not only that, i was also deeply impressed and moved by the trees in the courtyard which can be seen through the museum’s large window. at that moment, i imagined how it would sound if were to play my developing album there. could it possibly be one of the best sounds that fit this environment? this idea developed into the strong desire to carry it out.

finishing the mixing, recording it on cassette tape, i visited this museum again. they gladly accepted such an unknown composer’s request and said “ok, let’s try to put it on in the museum.” that made me so happy and encouraged me. after a few weeks, 1 received a phone call from this museum, where staff were often asked by the visitors “where can i get this music?” on hearing those words, my desire to publish a record with those sounds was getting stronger and stronger. i decided to consult with mr. ashikawa about this. he said that he would start up a record label to present this new sound. in this way, “music for nine post cards” was released as the first lp record of the “music notation for waves” series.

this was followed by mr. ashikawa’s “still way”. this label’s first attempt to present environmental music in japan was taken up in many magazines. although this album was a small publication by a minor label, i am very happy that not a few people still remember it. now this album is being reprinted. i’m looking forward to the reaction of the people who are going to listen to this music for the first time. the nine post cards which were sent from outside of a window. i hope this sound scenery makes quiet ripples.

from the liner notes of the 1999 cd
translated by misako matsuki

1 Like

7:00 – Sparkle 2019/10/18 Live
11:42 - Amaku Kiken Na Kaori 2019/10/13 Live
17:38 - Neo Tokyo Rhapsody 2018/10/13 Live
23:10 – Shiosai 2017/07/01 Live
36:44 - Bomber (Acoustic Ver.) 2019/03/18 Live
45:00 - Ray of Hope 2018/03/11 Live

Tat’s radio show from last Sunday a couple weeks ago, featuring some recent live performances.

All of them super good.

2 Likes

i don’t know if auto-transcribe+translate has/is getting better but I can mostly get the gist of what he’s talking about now, cancelling shows through at least July, Mariya’s shows in late Nov. still on but changing venues?, how they’ve started producing the radio show remotely and he’s looking at a computer screen. send in your email requests to tatsuro@tfm.co.jp

cool.

This is fabulous…

I really need to try to catch him live soon…

edit: listener mail “I got tired of humming happy birthday twice to tell if I’ve been washing my hands for long enough, then I noticed Sparkle’s intro before the first drum fill is 20 seconds long”

best listener

Unfortunately the show @Victor posted got pulled, but I’m gonna pay it forward with this one:

Tatz acapellas for an hour.

I ripped this one in case it goes down btw

1 Like

sweet ass cup noodle jingle @ ~3:40 “HOT…CHICKEN” wow

i wonder if there’s some commonality to the stuff that gets taken down vs remains up?

1 Like

English cover of Sparkle that’s good but missing the (dare I say sparkling) synth layering in the background of the original, or maybe I didn’t like the synth there as much

Tokyo FM probably Content IDs the contents of the newer shows but I don’t think they’d retroactively load in 1986 back catalog?

Also when the hell did Tokyo FM change their logo, it used to be awesome and now it’s generic

Previously unreleased track by Kokubo, who reportedly does not remember the exact date it was recorded, but places it in the late 80’s.

Kindly provided by the Glossy Mistakes record label, on the occasion of the 2020 vinyl reissue of Digital Soundology #1 Volk Von Bauhaus.

From the sleeve notes: “This recording used no keyboard players, no multitrack tape recording techniques, no analog sounds.”

Equipment: Fairlight CMI, PPG Wave 2.3, Yamaha DX-7, CX-5.

2 Likes

Adventure is coming to vinyl eventually and I want it.

2 Likes

Mystical Composer has been on my daily rotation for like 3 years now

5 Likes