Retroid Pocket 2: The Thread

Watched some videos about this and the performance of N64 and Dreamcast both looked better then I was expecting. Supposedly, difficult to run N64 games run pretty well if you tweak the settings and make them a little ugly looking.

It looks like a pretty good device.

Yeah now I would just wait until we get one and can complain/praise about it.

No Saturn support, I’m guessing? I have this long dream of just curling up in bed for hours with some handheld dragon force, so if anyone is able to get that to work lmk

3 Likes

If this thing doesn’t suck here are 10 things I am going to play on it:

1 Chrono Cross
2 Mario 64
3 Sonic Adventure (Big The Cat)
4 FF7 in Japanese if I can get a post midgar save
5 Banjo Kazooie
6 Dolphin Blue
7 DnD Shadows of Mystara
8 Kick Master
9 Bio Miracle Upa
10 The Next SNEX game

6 Likes

Me, I can’t wait to start another game of Symphony of the Night that I will never finish.

But I do wanna try out Illbleed, on this thing. Why not.

4 Likes

I swear I will make a terrible video showcase of this thing and the only footage of sonic adventure will be Big The Cat.

6 Likes

What’s up guys Tokyo Rude back here again with the Retroid Pocket 2, and today we’re gonna get…Froggy.

6 Likes

Is there an Atomiswave emulator on it?

i’ve read somewhere that the dreamcast emulator on there can also do naomi and atomiswave

2 Likes

Wow.
When you folk get these, somebody let me know if Dolphin Blue and Psyvariar 2 work well on this thing.

1 Like

I bought one of these within mintues of watching that Taki Udon video (and vetting just who this fella is). Indigo, natch (I really wanted to like the teal one, but the teal wasn’t quite right and the two-tone cyan/teal wasn’t doing it for me).

What really sold me was the HDMI out and bluetooth capabilities, tbh. I know a lot of people don’t give a shit about that, but when I show my partner that we can connect this thing to the TV and play Goldeneye, she’s gonna love it

It was fiscally irresponsible of me to buy this. Even moreso to spend $50 on two new bluetooth controllers for it, so I don’t have to alternate pairing of my existing ones between my switch and my retroid (and maybe do re-pairings if we ever have somebody over)

Planning to finally get through Majora’s Mask and Xenogears on this thing and also fuck around with a bunch of SNES and Genesis games I never checked out

Hope it plays Sin & Punishment well

2 Likes

Oh yeah, if things thing actually plays Minecraft Android Pocket Edition whatever as well as it seems it might, I’m all over that.

1 Like

this is the one thing i was checking all the youtube demos for.

i’ve convinced myself that this thing will run melty blood perfectly, which i know probably won’t be the case

2 Likes

I’m almost certain it will, my fucked up old phone played Minecraft just fine.

1 Like

I wanted to get one but am a bit put-off by the right stick not being the same as the left one. There’s probably a justification for it that I’m not seeing but it’s too close to the PSP slider to me. Actually using it might be ok and make sense? And based on the range of games you can actually run, the right stick may not even be used all that much. Good to hear the dpad and buttons are nice. I just realized…it’s recessed to keep you from nudging it accidentally with your thumb when pressing the face buttons. At least that’s the explanation that makes sense in my head.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Damn, good to know. I won’t get my hopes up too high–Wonder if the coming update to Android 8 will make this better or worse or anything

from the sounds of that video he’s using a modern build. i wonder if some of the older pocket edition builds might run better - i’m thinking i’ve had better results on very old hardware that surely must be worse than this thing

Huh, actually this person seems to be running fine and they’re using a current Pocket/Bedrock edition (visuals on this video lowkey terrifying)

I’d need to play online thur Realms so I’d need a current build anyway–guess we’ll find out!

You got it. Accidentally touching the right analog is a common problem on these handhelds.

1 Like