RESIDENT EVIL....

Ok it took a good handful of steps to setup but I didn’t encounter any issues, am about to finally try this out. If anyone wants to join me on the resurrected server: http://obsrv.org/index.php

i literally just deleted the ISO for Outbreak like two days ago. x_X

cindy is my favorite.
Cindy_portrait

2 Likes

can you play outbreak online via pcsx2 by any chance

i do still have a fat messiah chipped ps2 but no broadband adapter

edit: apparently so

Yep, I looked at a few tutorials then registered at the site above and there’s a handful of major threads for doing it with PS2 hardware or emulation. I’m using PCSX2 1.5.0 and HDLoader, translation of the JP iso, etc etc

DO IT YO. Roughly the same outline of that vid. Running smooth will look for matches and such later tonight.

1 Like

3 Likes

i used to watch people speedrun this on twitch, there are shitloads of mods to replace the characters with goofy shit.

oh wait.

ohwait

i guess i only deleted the archive file. i’ll try to set it up later if anybody is still interested in playing.

don’t you need a japanese iso for this

ah shit then fuck it

5 Likes

hell yes I’ve been wanting to replay REmake

the mission to port re 4 to every platform continues

2 Likes

and I continue to buy it every time because I hate having money

1 Like

http://www.re4hd.com/

I don’t know what to make of this thing. it’s too detailed. seeing every leaf and splinter just seems distracting

It’s a frankensteined art direction, subjectively raising the quality of some things but leaving others at 2004 standards. No one would design the look of something this way, so it’s really about trying to bottle the aesthetic feelings of 2004 into 2019…an ultimately doomed gesture

For example, here’s a shot they highlight on their page:

Adding polys to the guy and pointing a light at him only makes it look worse, keeping it muddy and in the dark retains the composition and effectiveness of the shot

4 Likes

nope it’s better

1 Like

What in God’s name…

6 Likes

As befits the survival horror genre, it’s the weaknesses that tell us the most. Resident Evil 2 knows its horrors, and it knows what tools work best for defeating them. But instead of aligning weapon use cases with the type of monsters it introduces, the game intentionally throws each one out of balance—creating a utility gap on top of its resource gap. Where the pistol has traditionally served as a weak but ammo-efficient tool for removing low-level threats, it’s hardly even a distraction in the remake, where an entire clip of headshots does little or nothing to slow down zombies. The pistol is still “useful” by virtue of the fact that it’s a gun, but there’s something deeply unsettling about a weapon that’s not even efficient when you’re good with it. That disconnect contributes to the game’s pervasive sense of unease. In Resident Evil 2, no matter how powerful your weapons are or how much ammo you’re carrying, you rarely feel like you’re equipped to deal with any given threat.

Of course, there are moments where even this baseline is subverted. When you face the venus flytrap-looking monster called Ivy, you pull out Leon’s flamethrower as a reflex and light it up. Surprisingly enough, it works, and the monster collapses to the floor, writhing in its death throes as it continues to roast. In the moment, you feel empowered: something in this game has reacted the way you expected it to, and you feel for a moment that you’ve crested the game’s difficulty curve. This, of course, is a tease. When you replay the game as Claire Redfield, the only flame-based weapon at your disposal is a grenade launcher that holds just a single round at a time, and by that point in the game, you’ve already wasted most of your fire ammo. Instead, you’re forced to deal with Ivy the hard way: by shooting each tiny bulbous weak point on its body one by one.

Even though the map stays largely unchanged across playthroughs, by the time you’ve reached the end of the game with each character, it feels as if you’ve played two very different games. While some of this effect is achieved through clever re-routing and the introduction of a couple new areas, the bulk of it comes from the game’s shifting armaments, which reframe the action and re-center the fear depending on what tools you have access to. It’s economical design, to be sure, but it also showcases Resident Evil 2 as the rare game that creates tension through weaponry and enemy design. This is not a power fantasy, it’s a power struggle between the dynamics of fear, uncertainty, and character agency in a world where everything is capable of murdering you.

5 Likes

Anyone play the DLC yet? How are they? I’m kind of curious, but after finishing Claire B I feel like I could use a break from this game.

Arcadey; they’re quick runs through scenarios with remixed door locks and some new mechanical systems. They’re not story content. You’re dumped in with a text screen or two describing the scenario, the character models are c-quality, they don’t have full cutscenes.

It’s nice but not essential.

1 Like