RESIDENT EVIL....

They should remove Standard and make Assisted and Hardcore the only two difficulties, but along with a new mode that has no enemies, called “Gone Resident”.

I’m in the police station basement now. This game is great so far! I am a heretic who never played the original RE2, so it’s all new to me. More than any recent horror game I’ve played, this actually does still feel like classic PSX/PS2 survival horror without feeling like a regression to outdated game design. It carries forward everything I enjoyed about that style of gameplay (adventure game elements, heavy focus on exploration, item conservation, stupid but satisfying puzzles), but makes it much more enjoyable to control.

I think the balance of effective horror and goofy pulp is just right here, too. The tone works for me in a big way.

1 Like

Heather Alexandra was complaining that the voice acting felt unprofessional and let the game down but it’s feeling unprofessional and correct to me. This can get deeply silly and it stays right on the edge where it lets you know it knows it (especially when Leon starts talking to Ada Wong, superspy).

1 Like

finished leon b. really, really enjoyable. maybe just below REmake in how satisfyingly constructed it is. i have a few criticisms

-this game was sorely missing the giant moth, sewer spiders and walking plants. the new enemies were a bit too gimmicky for my taste. i’m fine that the crows migrated away from racoon city
-the ost is good, but it might play for a combined ten minutes (x gonna give it to you excepted) over the course of the entire game. have to sell that original ost swap i suppose
-kind of crazy that claire and leon have even less meetings this time around
-would have liked to see the super secret lab where this incredible track plays when you do the guest registration on both scenarios in the original. really, not having any interactivity at all between the a and b scenarios was a huge missed opportunity
-wish the boss fights were a bit less dependent on weak points and varied depending upon character. every boss fight except super mr. x is a glowing eye hunt
-give mr. x more to do. his behavior is a little too simplistic and easy to avoid. he should be kool aid maning his way through most of the station instead of politely opening doors

2 Likes

You’ve pretty much nailed my main criticisms, I have a few other concerns and disappointments that’ll wait being described til I finish Claire B.

Yeah, the canon game here is tight.

re2 gave me extreme nightmares as a 7 year old so how much do i really need tp wprry about mr x

He’s a lot like Jack in RE7.

Or, you hear dad’s impossibly dense footsteps somewhere in the house and the trick is to understand when he’s close enough that he’s about to come in and catch you and get thunderclap angry.

The real problem is that to live with him you need to learn this game rules, and he has learnable restrictions, and that diminishes his threat. If you compare him to the xenomorph in Alien: Isolation he’s much more limited and straightforward for a corresponding loss of effectiveness.

wow just like living with a real abusive father

I’m sure leon thinks of ada as his real partner

3 Likes

Without getting into it,

Yep!

leon “sure theres evidence of police corruption and incompetence everywhere up to this point but you need to stay in your prison cell” kennedy

2 Likes

the s is for suck

8 Likes

REmake 2 is the best RE game.

2 Likes

I started this yesterday and played up to the sewers on Leon’s story. The game is a blast and my only regret so far is having not played the original beyond the one time I rented it 20 years ago. Oh well there’s YouTube now so whatever.

The thing with Mr. X is that you can hear him (hopefully) and he can definitely hear you. I was struggling with him when he showed up the first time but what you have to do is just not make so much noise. This means avoiding running, busting through doors and firing your weapons.

This apparently applies to most regular enemies as well. I was in a spot where I was nearly dead trying to get down a hallway that had two lickers in it and I had spent all my ammo and health items. I kept trying to make a run for it and they kept killing me. I got through it by simply going slow through the door and just walking slowly down the hallway, while staying out of sight as well. Made it on my first try going slow because I wasn’t making as much noise.

Really liking the audiovisual design. It’s a real treat.

I love Japanese companies’ approach to filesystems

the game’s assets are a 24GB file called re2_chunk_000.pak

3 Likes

and if not that, it’s almost certainly the best remake I’ve ever seen. The only others that I think have even come close in terms of overall effort and thoughtfulness would be like final fantasy 4 or la mulana

lickers can’t see you but can hear you evem creep up to like four feet away fyi. i also noticed they cant actually smell you but they always move “towards” you when they cant see you, mever away so they dont patrol routes or anything

1 Like

ada’s hairy neck is the best reveal in this game

1 Like