RESIDENT EVIL....

Probably gonna force myself to reckon with a 20+ year old promise to beat Resident Evil before I hop into this one.

I mean, I could play REmake, but 12 year old me has been putting off the original version for a while now.

I beat RE2 but that hardly counts, since kid me played Arranged mode with the infinite ammo uzi.

1 Like

I hate being that person but it is worth playing vanilla RE before playing REmake.

imo the DS version resident evil is excellent and marginally superior to the original release.

2 Likes

Honestly the version I was thinking about playing! If only to cut down load times (dunno if I wanna bother blowing into the mic to avoid zombie puke and whatever other DS touch stuff they added).

the load times are the chief benefit but having ready access to the knife is also good, even if it makes the game slightly easier

1 Like

I think the only microphone gimmick is some puzzle where you have to blow candles out or something

1 Like

you’re only a true resi fan if you’ve beaten gold wesker in the saturn port

3 Likes

2 Likes

okay cool now reskin the whole police station to look like psx prerendered backgrounds but in real time

1 Like

I think it’s pretty weird to say that RE4 has derivatives, because in my estimation it mostly doesn’t. True, it was sort of the first workable Thirps; but the genre didn’t develop in a linear path springing from its entire base, it shot off to the side. Modern thirpses are Gears games, not RE4 games. The weirdness that distinguishes RE4 from your standard thirps is one of the very best things about it!

3 Likes

I honestly can’t think of anything that interesting about it other than the highly localized damage modelling which was really impressive the first time I played it and which you see elsewhere but still not that often. it sounds like this made it into the RE2 remake as intact as a person might want and then some so that’s good.

other than that though it’s so very
 gamey. like meat is gamey.

1 Like

Select Button comes down hard on Resident Evil 4 calling it a B±B- action game. Gamers line up at the gates to burn the server down (unrelated.)

2 Likes

Stopping while shooting, no cover system and the damage modeling are everything.

4 Likes

The enemy design is new and huge for shooters – slow walking plus randomized stumbling and lunges and runs solves their shooter issues and is a large design leap (this is why I don’t understand RE6, they sped it up and short-circuit it and I don’t understand how the game works anymore).

The level design of that first town battle is maybe the best thing I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen it emulated in action games since, from Bloodborne to Doom – a sprawling, hard check designed to make players fail and learn through failure and present as open and be honest about the game’s values.

Kicking down doors! Modeling projectiles so they can be shot out of the air (and it just waits until you figure that out for yourself when you ping a hand axe)! It just oozes quality

11 Likes

I enjoyed looking at old Resident Evil 2 advertisement stuff this week, so while I was out today I made an effort to stop in and take photos of the RE2 Remake advertisement materials myself

This photo isn’t interesting now, but maybe it will be in
 20 years.

5 Likes

i’ve always felt RE6 is going deep down the rabbit hole of mechanical iteration on RE4’s combat.

since this (RE6 and its continuing legacy of causing people to go “what the fuck is this shit”) comes up relatively often, it’s worth noting that RE6 has absolutely no idea how to present itself. the campaigns don’t really focus on the mechanical detail at all (certainly not on the default difficulty) - it’s mostly gimmicks and a bizarre, intense commitment to its utterly unremarkable narrative beats. the pacing (on any difficulty) feels slapdash and simultaneously rushed and tedious. and the tone. the tone! an irreconcilable juxtaposition of self-seriousness and self-parody. it’s incoherent.

all that said, the combat mechanics are simply the absolute fucking best. i could just toy around with those controls forever. they’re perfect. it is the culmination of all the good things about RE-as-action game, and it’s probably the last of its breed, at least for a long time. there may never be another game quite like it again!

6 Likes

Yeah I should’ve been specific and said the only games I know of that are directly mechanically based on RE4 are
 RE5 and 6.

Man I would really love for there to be some obscure RE4 clone I don’t know about that I could play.

Give me an RE4 clone based on the collected works of JG Ballard or give me death imo

2 Likes

Why @meauxdal why?! sobs

i think i had the reaction to RE:CV that most people have to RE6

“what the fuck is this bullshit”

1 Like

it should be said though that I’m pretty sure my enjoyment of the game peaked at that first town battle and then went slowly downhill for twelve hours or whatever, which isn’t exactly a success

I can barely remember the rest of it other than really bad late game bossfights and inventory tetris and scenes with the girl that felt like they weren’t even succeeding at being lecherous

the knife fight? the bats you have to shoot in the castle? the cultists later on who take eight million hits?

think I’d rather have kept the demo disc for this one if anything

1 Like