ranking of marios 2 JP (マリオ > メッリオ)

kotaku posted a terrible (imo) ranking of super mario games

the selection is arbitrary (bowser’s fury is on there for some reason, but no new super luigi u; yoshi’s island is included because it has “super mario world 2” in the title, but wario land: super mario land 3 is ignored, both mario maker games are here for some reason…)

here’s their list, because it’s in a despicable slideshow format which is truly obnoxious to read and is meant to artificially inflate their pageview counts. fuck kotaku lol, absolute garbage-tier internet

23. Super Mario Run
22. New Super Mario Bros. 2
21. New Super Mario Bros.
20. Super Mario Land
19. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
18. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
17. Super Mario 3D Land
16. New Super Mario Bros. U
15. Super Mario Maker
14. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels)
13. Super Mario Maker 2
12. Super Mario Bros.
11. Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
10. Bowser's Fury
09. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
08. Super Mario Sunshine
07. Super Mario Odyssey
06. Super Mario 3D World
05. Super Mario 64
04. Super Mario Galaxy
03. Super Mario Galaxy 2
02. Super Mario Bros. 3
01. Super Mario World

so, a few things i wanted to shit on here. putting 64 below galaxy and galaxy 2 is unconscionable. both are legitimately poor 3D mario games and should be near the bottom of the list. sunshine is enjoyable, but massively, massively, unavoidably flawed and should be much, much lower. SMB2/USA should, under no circumstances, ever be ahead of SMB1, like… what? the mario maker games don’t even belong on this list, how can you realistically compare them to any of this other shit?

anyway just wanted to rant about this for a moment, thank you for your time.

25 Likes

Super mario run isnt that bad

3 Likes

Placing Super Mario Bros. in the dead center of a best Mario games list is a crime imo

2 Likes

smb2usa > smb1 > smb2j… alternate reality kind of shit

6 Likes

that’s the first time i’ve looked at kotaku in years and damn that’s a hideous website
someone just learned css grid and wants you to know about it

8 Likes

NSMBU > SML26GC

e368418fbfaa3cfe139ba1b61dbf6cb57264a417

6 Likes

a popular gaming website made a mareo ranking with astonishingly poor opinions? sounds like this thread could finally use a sequel!

6 Likes

14 Likes

I can’t believe how low I ranked SML26GC 6 years ago. The fuck was I thinking. Lord forgive me indeed.

5 Likes

ranking of mario’s where i don’t play as mario (s tier)

1. super mario advance
  2. super mario 2 USA
  3. super mario 3d world
  4. captain toad: treasure tracker
  5. dr. mario (distinct character)
3 Likes

mario’s rank imo

7 Likes

this suggests some kind of Dead Ringers style mischief

7 Likes

Mario galaxy 2 stinks so much compared to one wow okay I hate this list too

1 Like

i think counting super mario maker makes sense given that they think world is better than smb3, since the maker games are chock-full of levelmakers who DEFINITELY agree

2 Likes

also i’m sorry super mario land as the fourth worst mario game is bonkers, that shit rules

Super Mario RPG is the best 3D Mario.

7 Likes

There ought to be a law against this kind of thing.

1 Like

Really want someone to write a sincere justification of why smb2j appears between the two Mario maker games. Like what on earth is even the basis for comparison in this case

3 Likes

its probably about slopes

5 Likes

is bowsers fury actually good

I played a significant amount of 3D Land, 3D World, and Odyssey, to what I would characterize as politely diminishing returns, though I basically enjoyed them all and they were a massive improvement on the previous decade

1 Like