ranking of marios 2 JP (マリオ > メッリオ)

I’ve mentioned it before, but I think the Bowser’s Fury package is excellent because of the sped-up port of 3D World.

Bowser’s Fury itself is OK added value. I don’t think the sandboxiness and the pseudo day/night cycle add much, but it’s short and there’s some good runnin’ around.

2 Likes

I liked sm3dw a lot but bowser’s fury was really inscrutable to me. The open world aspect seemed overwhelming and aimless, and being interrupted by giga bowser or whatever is just frustrating

1 Like

Maybe instead of the dinosaur they should’ve connected the islands with Wave Race.

3 Likes

bowsers fury is the vore one right? it fucking rocks except for when you have to blow /yell at the mic

1 Like

that’s bowser’s inside story, bowser’s fury is some add-on that came with the rerelease of mario 3d world on the switch. i didn’t wanna pay $60 for a game i’d already played and thought was mediocre though so i dunno what its like. but i assume that anything 3d world related isn’t that good

2 Likes

Reported.

2 Likes

the biggest crime here is 3D Land which is a top 10 Mario easily, maybe top 5

5 Likes

3DLand and Odyssey are the only Mario games I liked enough to finish

1 Like

I feel like every single possible numbered Mario tier list would be an act of treason against god for 10+ posters minimum here

Here’s mine. It’s even worse than the Kotaku one

Haven’t played
Super Mario Maker
New Super Mario Bros. U
Bowser’s Fury
Super Mario 3D World

Curse of the Wii
19. Super Mario Galaxy
18. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Gimmicks can’t hide that very easy and linear Mario levels make for a boring game
17. Super Mario 3D Land
16. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

Too repulsive
15. New Super Mario Bros. 2
14. New Super Mario Bros.

Are we really going to call this a mainline entry forever, where is the Game and Watch sky blue Mario etc
13. Super Mario Run

SNES is mid, kill the past
12. Yoshi’s Island
11. Super Mario World

Every time I see a level done in New Mario style, I get the opposite of a dopamine shot
10. Super Mario Maker 2

Transcends its inherent flaws by adding multiplayer to Mario with no concessions to level design, with chaotic results
09. New Super Mario Bros. Wii

I can’t go back to Fire Mario being downgraded to Little Mario after one hit in 2023 even if it’s better for the game
08. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels)
07. Super Mario Land
06. Super Mario Bros.

Traversal heaven
05. Super Mario Sunshine
04. Super Mario Odyssey

Awkardly flying over levels as Luigi tier
03. Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)

Boring top of the list though at least World isn’t here
02. Super Mario Bros. 3
01.Super Mario 64

10 Likes

That’s kinda the whole thing with Mario rankings, isn’t it? They’re going to be one or more of boring, nonsensical, or wrong because “good Mario game” just doesn’t have that many distinct, interesting meanings. You can’t really argue about which one has the most compelling story or interesting character designs or elegant competitive balance; it’s all “Which Mario Marios hardest?”

3 Likes

Terrible opinion: because of how much the NES Marios are designed around the absence of both battery save files and passwords (warp zones/whistles, the length of levels, the very basic idea of what “secrets” should be), they shouldn’t be considered the same genre as World. Adding permanent saves changes them as dramatically as removing permadeath would change a roguelike. Marios 1-3 are arcade games; Mario World is an adventure game.

4 Likes

I like the idea of looking at it that way, but 3 is such an anomaly… possibly the most “just leave the console on for days and unhook it from the TV when you’re not playing” game ever made

9 Likes

fluud in sunshine is like adding the nose press to ssx in 3: a gift, because now i can glue together all of my movement into one continuous flow

5 Likes

These might be the only ones I’d go out of my way to sit down and play, again, along with 3, because I’m determined to have the most mainstream tastes possible.

Overall I think I greatly prefer to the 2D Mario games to the 3D ones, the inverse of my feelings on Sonic games!

4 Likes

I haven’t played much of Bowser’s Fury, but it’s not very 3D World at all. It feels more like a repurposed attempt at following up Super Mario Sunshine with some Odyssey touches. Or something.

2 Likes

a criticism i remember being thrown a lot against sml2 on ic/old sb was that it tried too hard to look like a snes game, which hurt it somehow (even though it kind of succeeded)

anyway, i’ve been playing a colourised romhack of it and it’s still fun

Super Mario Land 2 DX (Hack v1.8.1 + Sound Improvement)-0
Super Mario Land 2 DX (Hack v1.8.1 + Sound Improvement)-1

look at these enemies. the weird oval thing and the immortal skull wasp. the spiky slug thing that i thought was really cool for some reason as a kid.

13 Likes
1 Like

Yoshi’s Island does not deserve the title of Super Mario World 2 because it dumped momentum and speed for Shoot Eggs and Baby Mario Wailing; the most hideous sound effect ever produced on a Super Nintendo

3 Likes

Smw2 is the closest Nintendo ever got to making a euro style platformer and that is both good and bad. It’s kind of beyond judgement

11 Likes

game theory: Yoshi’s Island is Plok Gaiden

4 Likes