Random game names (Part 1)

There’s no need for “gatekeeping” but there’s a need for curation. And I think it makes perfect sense in theory to have a different institution/community performing curation than the distribution network. The problem is that nobody is really performing the curation function at all, because there aren’t really incentives to do the effort. I briefly followed a twitter bot listing all new Steam games and it’s totally overwhelming, it would need to be someone’s job. But e.g. videogame journalists mostly just review games that people are already interested in for whatever reason (either marketing budget or social media influencer support, as I see it).

I feel like in this arrangement, a lot of good/notable games are probably getting released without anybody noticing at all. iOS/Android has the same problem and I don’t blame Valve for it, but I’m wondering how we as an entire game community could do better.

4 Likes

I have that achievement. I bought the game and then spent 4 days working with the developer to get it running right. They pushed an update just for me!

I’ve only spent five minutes playing it though

5 Likes

I know Rock Paper Shotgun has a weekly column where they pick 5 random weekly Steam releases that seem worthwhile. It comes down to the whims of a single person, but it is a thing that I am glad exists.

1 Like
  • The Quest for the BIG KEY
  • Baby Hands
  • Wulverblade
  • Sick Coaster
  • Remothered: Tormented Fathers
  • Trianga’s Project: Battle Splash 2.0
  • Sexy Serial Killer
  • Please close the doors
  • Dog Theatre

Sick Coaster appears to be a VR rollercoaster game designed to make you nauseous which I guess aims to cater to an under-served market?

3 Likes
  • Yoltrund
  • Mhakna Gramura and Fairy Bell
  • Differently Fast
  • Lisssn
  • UAYEB
  • Shadow of Something
  • The Communist Dogifesto
  • Recreational Dreaming
  • Tears - 9, 10
  • WeakWood Throne

I gotta admit, I kinda like Lisssn. Would like it more if it was about snakes.

2 Likes

This game has a great premise and then totally fucks up. The idea is that Laika, the dog the soviets launched into space, became hyper intelligent and was even able to return to earth. They decide to create a whole space station filled with dogs to study this effect more. The dogs rebel and take over the space station.

The fucked up part is that you, as a human, have to go to the station and

shoot the dogs

NOBODY WANTS TO SHOOT DOGS OKAY???

11 Likes

First of all, this is the most non-committal title for any video game, and I really like it.

Second of all, these features all sound like they should be on a box for an early 2000’s FPS in Walmart:

• A sprawling, immersive city to explore, filled with characters controlled by the revolutionary S-LIFE artificial life simulation technology.
  • Three factions of city inhabitants to encounter.
  • Over 5 usable weapons.
  • State of the art weather systems.
  • Full day / night cycle.

And it looks like this:

8 Likes

Damn, that’s at least 6 usable weapons

5 Likes

And that’s not even getting into the unusable ones

2 Likes

I have a soft spot for Laika the space dog as I read a comic entitled The Manhattan Projects a few years back (basic concept being that the Manhattan Project was a front for all sorts of absurd sci-fi ideas, both the US and Russians were secretly allies and the team was made up of the greatest scientists from both nations) that wasn’t as great as I hoped it’d be, but I thought Yuri Gagarin and an intelligent talking Laika were perhaps the only likable characters of the bunch. No way I’m shooting Laika.

Today’s games

• Rosebaker’s Icy Treats
  • Monjarmageddon
  • Object “Cleaning”
  • Choices, The Game
  • Tekling
  • Attack On Kitten
  • Bloody Skyscraper
  • We can’t get through the zombies

I am torn over which game description I like best today. From Monjarmageddon:

vs. Choices, The Game:

I’m gonna cheat and go with Choices, The Game because of the high quality graphics

6 Likes
  • Mass O’ Kyzt
  • Not Without My Poop
  • Yet Another Research Dog
  • The Rising of the Rose Ocelot
  • Violet Cycle
  • Madness of the Architect
  • Galacatraz: Eject Equip Escape
  • Ye Fenny - Revenge of the Evil Good Shepherd
  • Sockman
  • Rage Quest: The Worst Game

I feel much shame that it took me way too long to realize that Mass O’ Kyzt is a pun.

4 Likes

Back after the weekend

• Remnants of Naezith
  • Super Army of Tentacles 3: The Search for Army of Tentacles 2: Black GOAT of the Woods Edition
  • Putin takes taxes - OST
  • Virus Petya
  • QLORB
  • Boratium Wars
  • Slime-san: Sheeple’s Sequel
  • Universe Balancing Bureau
  • Cornflakestein

The last one is apparently for those who want to kill the cutest nazis?

1 Like

Pls review. Not joking. Ping me.

• Anime girl Or Bottle?
  • President Trump The Way In Uganda
  • Super Poop
  • !4RC4N01D! 2: Retro Edition
  • Chocolate makes you happy 3
  • The Revenge of Johnny Bonasera: Episode 2
  • Creatio Ex Nihilo: Aition

Anime girl Or Bottle? is…

…yeah, pretty much that. The achievements hint at some sort of transsexual twist (mechanical or otherwise) at some point so I’m sure it will be handled in a mature manner.

This is the most Steam Community list yet, probably

1 Like
  • Primitive Shooter
  • MEANDERS
  • Fishing: Barents Sea
  • Crazy Appliances 疯狂电器
  • Bevontule
  • Death or Cress
  • Hiro’s Forest Rumble

That last one…

I kinda like a forced scrolling isometric shooter where you are a rabbit throwing carrots at various woodland creatures?

1 Like

Split Horizon

We have a few interesting ones near the end here

• Eternam
  • The Seven Districts of Sin: The Tail Makes the Fox - Episode 1
  • A Case of Distrust
  • Chamber of the Sci-Mutant Priestess
  • Bolt Riley, A Reggae Adventure
  • Cassandra’s Fabulous Foray
  • Nightwolf: Survive the Megadome

Nightwolf’s aesthetic might be approaching overdone, but I think it makes cars look rather nice.

• I Love My Brother

So yeah, incest dating game.

• Comrades and Barons: Solitaire of Bloody 1919

I support this trend of insane solitaire mash-ups.

And finally…

• Drakkhen

…Wait, Drakkhen?

Wow, Drakkhen!

7 Likes

Oh I thought we were making up names

3 Likes

This is the US name for KULT: Temple of the Flying Saucers, one of the Exxos games: