Quick Questions XIV: A Question Reasked (Part 1)

i need a dual shock 2 controller but every time i order one online its broken is there a new controller i can plug into my ps2 that 100 percent will work?

a dual shock 1 (I wish I was joking)

wait you said new

I dunno

wait those work for ps2 games? have i been lying to people on accident for years???

Yeah they just don’t have pressure sensitive face buttons, which are hardly ever used to an important degree

Pressure sensitive buttons are precisely the problem I run into with Dual Shock 2s for what it’s worth, too often they don’t register presses as reliably as the good old binary Dual Shock 1 and it’s not a gameplay problem for a majority of titles

ps1 controllers only work on some ps2 games - it’s a game-by-game basis. some will work with a standard ps1 pad, some need a dual shock 1, others will refuse to work entirely.

what’s even more interesting is that ps2 controllers usually work on ps1, with some caveats

I didn’t know this and it was never an issue for me before, but then I got my copy of FFXII in the mail today and got this screen when I went to test it

3 Likes

What on earth does ff12 need analog face buttons for, it doesn’t even need analog sticks

2 Likes

How do you play FFXII without analogue sticks?

probably a joke about gambits and how “the game plays itself”

can someone find photographic proof of the Sega Genesis bundle I got in 1992 that was Model 1(with Sonic) and Quackshot. Think it was from Sears. Remember it had a big styrofoam display around the console game and a second controller.

1 Like

Yes I suppose so.

so i thought my dualshock woes were over but the controller @BustedAstromech let me borrow doesnt have a working L1 button

gonna buy piece of shit third party controllers until i find one that works i guess. the older i get the more i hate sony controllers and how broken they always are

OH YEAH I SHOULD JUST GET THE FUCKING LOGITECH WIRELESS CONTROLLER THAT THING WORKED LIKE A DREAM

5 Likes

Oh dang forgot how nice that logitech controller was.

Wow I have no idea what happened to my logitech controller.

Wow.

Would have to search on SB1.

Wait I came here for a reason. I have been playing Picross 3D and I swear the game is telling me to make guesses as to the shape of the object as opposed to pure calculations. Am I wrong?

I definitely relied on implied symmetry to complete several puzzles, but I’m not sure if those were solvable had I tried to do them straight. With picross, I consider educated guesses about the picture itself to be a legitimate tactic as much as I hate to find that I’m wrong. It would probably feel better to guess if the game didn’t automatically ding you as soon as you make a mistake.

1 Like

I don’t remember needing to guess in Picross 3D, but some puzzles would stump me for a long while.

1 Like

Is there a nice way to emulate virtualboy games, and then play them through VR? The technology finally seems to have caught up with nintendo’s ambition…
There is an article in the latest issue of Heterotopias about Insmouse No Yakata talking about its art, and the unique “blood-and-black visuals” that’s getting me curious.

1 Like

It is a crime that one of VR experiences they included with Labo VR was a short where you put your face in a Virtual Boy to watch a bit of Mario’s Tennis VB but not being able to play it yourself.

5 Likes