Quick Questions XIV: A Question Reasked (Part 1)

how many games have had lyndon johnson in them

Final Fight Presents: Mike Haggar’s Search for LBJ’s Haggar Slacks

2 Likes

@HOBO can i commission a portrait of leisure suit lyndon?

1 Like

The works of Al Lowe are a major inspiration and I’ve read all those Robert Caro books and I regularly call people into the toilet with me to discuss serious business so this is pretty much my dream job.

3 Likes

The HD remaster of Snake Eater is very solid. However, it does the usual remaster thing where lighting effects, models, and textures have often been tweaked and changed. To varying degrees of goodness. The most problematic being the lighting. Which lacks the dreamy softness of the original (PS2 version has a blur and fake DOF effect which both seem to be gone) and contrast is pumped up so the lighting is more stark and less natural (although the contrast bump could be gamma correction or something from a capturing device. Because I’m seeing varying results on youtube).

But…you do get 60fps from the HD remaster. And the 360 version is backward compatible on Xbone with zero framerate hit. No further resolution boost, though. Even for X.

Playing it on PS3 will be kinda like PS2, in that the cutscenese are gonna dive a bit, but regular gameplay is fine. Except for a certain segment near the end, where the gameplay framerate tanks. Although PS3 is gonna be much higher framerates, overall. What with the 60fps target.

Emulating Snake Eater PS2 is still a problem. It generally runs well, nowadays. But there are still lots of issues with certain visual effects.

1 Like

Thanks. Do you know how is the Vita version?

Is there a Pokemon game that’s well written? What I’m looking for is the Pokemon game that feels like it was written by Yuji Hori. That sounds like a cool time but seems like all the games thus far have just been about the collecting of Pokemon.

Nocturne

5 Likes

There’s an entire sub-series for that called
Dragon Quest Monsters!

Alt: Revelations: The Demon Slayer (or Last Bible for GameGear)

1 Like

Vita Version has overly bright lighting. Also seems to be lacking some of the blur/depth effects. And then otherwise has lower res textures than the PS360 versions. But still generally higher res than PS2. I didn’t look at performance. But, there are a couple of vids out there.

2 Likes

if i pay someone to just code a kings field character controller/bare-ass combat system 4 me in unity do you think they would be cool with me then releasing it to the public for free? under capitalism is their labor is seriously my labor once i give them money?? am i supposed to nathan for you this or tell them upfront on fiverr or wherever unemployed programmers hang out. also where do they hang out

i cant teach myself to code because im still on a waitlist to be diagnosed with adhd

gamedev is so stupid i just wanna make dunkin donuts bathrooms and cutscenes where dads talk about how bad they fucked up over the phone

11 Likes

I have not touched my balance board in years, but it is a fun peripheral. It was that (with Wii Fit) and Boom Blox that convinced me to buy a Wii back when I did. The only other game I ever got that supports it is Kororinpa 2.

Edit: Wait, that’s not entirely accurate. I also got that Tetris game that you could play with the balance board. I appreciated that they did that, but I didn’t find it entertaining for long.

1 Like

Another couple of notes on Snake Eater:

the original version of the game had a camera setup similar to MGS2. So, top-down/isometric for general movement and sneaking. And then the first person viewing/aiming mode. Snake Eater added some extra features to mgs2’s setup. In the top down view, you could use the right stick to move the camera so that you could see a little further in any direction. So, snake was no longer centered on the camera. and you could lock it into that new position, by pressing R3. In first person mode, you could use the shoulder buttons to peak left/right, stand up on your tippy-toes to view over something, or when crawling: do sort of a pushup, to view up over the tall grass, but still be semi-hidden.

Since you cannot see far ahead, unless you are stopped and deliberately checking things out via first person view: This version of the game stresses reconnaissance a whole lot more. I found myself many times, stopping to get a lay of the land via the binoculars and mentally marking approximately where bad guys are at.

The later version MGS3: Subsistence, added the 3rd person view. I think you can switch between it and the classic view at any time, with the selectbutton. The 3rd person camera sort of glosses over some of the added features and mean you need not stop as much, for deliberate viewing of the an area. But in trade, you can be more swift and also be more like Rambo.

I generally prefer the classic view, albeit can feel a little claustrophobic, compared to the modern 3rd person camera.

Something real nice though, about that 3rd person view: Snake Eater is freaking beautiful and its way easier to see and appreciate all of the detail. I mean, for much of the game, there is an entire forest canopy which you don’t see unless you stop to deliberately look at it.

3 Likes

If I do it will you make an entire community of folks making games with it?

1 Like

You can totally ask for spec work but it should be possible to find a friend who will collaborate for shared glory.

Depending on your knowledge level, you may want to dig around the Unity asset store. Stuff like this ‘First Person All-in-One’ open-source code package might get you close to the way there if you’re comfortable poking around the edges.

If you’d like something where you just have to supply the animations, it’s probably a week of work. Thinking through features, and giving my own optimistic estimates (generally double these to account for back-and-forth and life problems):

• Character controller: (start from a Unity default or the linked asset and you get input-to-character, head bob. Then you need an arm synced to the walk anim. If you want it to be a real body (you can switch to 3rd person on the fly, or look down and see your pants – features not in King’s Field), that might be supported already or it might add an extra 4-8 hours). 2-4 hours
  • Attacks: you would provide the ‘swing’ animations. You need an interface to define the colliders and how to turn them on and off. You need an interface to define SFX/VFX on swing, on hit. You need an interface to hook it into stats: damage, stamina/MP costs. You need a ‘fail’ animation. Do characters play a recoil when hit? Is that different for the player and the NPCs? 8-16 hours
  • AI – pretty simple enemy AI; they line-of-sight to the player, then move to them, then attack. You need an interface to define attack distance. If you want pathfinding (they can navigate around corners (King’s Field did not have this)), triple this estimate. 8 hours
  • Stats – do you want the player to coordinate damage, resource costs between their level, their weapon, the enemy defenses? This needs to be thought through. 4 hours
  • UI – do you want to display health, stamina bars? 1 hour
  • States – presumably NPCs need to die. The player needs to die. Additional status effects will probably cost this, again. 2 hours

So that’s ~35 hours; probably 2 weeks if this is normal working conditions, a week if they’re in the same room and you’re working at the same time, a good weekend if you can channel game jam energy through an experienced or feelin’ it game developer.

8 Likes

yes and provide every model from the sims 4 for download and invites to cgpeers

1 Like

this perspective is so helpful thank you. im ready to become a monster. cult recruitment tactics could probably help cultivate game jam energy maybe

2 Likes

you’d be covered legally, but it’d be good to let the person you hire know that you plan to open source their work. if you’re going to a site like fiverrr to underpay someone in South Asia, consider that part of how their gig becomes livable is through building efficiencies in repetitive work. building basic character controllers etc is a pretty common unity task and if you open source it and it becomes popular, you might be cutting into their gigs. if you’re paying someone an actually-decent wage then i think you can consider the work your own with a clean conscience.

7 Likes

there’s this horror game where you work for a company that makes these vhs tapes that cause people to mutate, and there are parts where you stop by a gas station and the guy insists there’s somebody in your car with you. does anybody remember what this is called?

paratopic