Quick Questions XIV: A Question Reasked (Part 1)

Help

I think I do a thing where I start reading a thread about a game and become convinced that the game so is cool enough that I want to play it so I stop reading so that it doesn’t ruin the surprise but then I don’t ever play the game but I didn’t want to mark as read because maybe I will play it someday and

Basically they are very obtuse bookmarks

3 Likes

net%20a3674412c77b

:grinning:

For the past two weeks I’ve been diligently working to get my unread back down from like 130 since I was barely on here for the last two months. I do read like 80-90% of posts tbh. I’m now at 59 unread and 22 new

Dang, this thread making me feel like a weirdo for hitting zero unread every day.

6 Likes

I used to do that but I have had a hard time keeping up with this and the new job. I’m getting there baby

Really, it’s just because SB is my main distraction at work.

3 Likes

Anyone know of interesting ways in which games deal with running away from combat? I think Metal Gear is the classic example, and I feel like most action games since have treated it the same way, but… have any RPGs dealt w/ this in an interesting way? TTRPGs? Any action games that have dealt w/ it in a way that is not really like MGS?

1 Like

There’s a horror RPG called Bloodlust that doesn’t necessarily change the mechanics of running, but leveling up actually decreases your stats. So the more fights you win, the weaker you get. Running away becomes the main strategy, but it’s as prone to fail as any other RPG if not moreso. So it’s like…determining whether or not you should potentially trade away limited resources (health kits) for more chances at running away and not losing stats.

1 Like

So I will be starting up Planescape: Torment for the first time later this week.

I’ve never played it, and I’ve only played a select few hours of other crpgs (unless you count the Mass Effects) so I’m heading in rather blind and ignorant. In case it is relevant, all I know of DnD is… I know nothing of DnD beyond it having dice rolls at some point?

So! If there is anything any of you feel that one should know about the game/genre beforehand now would be a very welcome time to let me know! I recall hearing ages ago that armor in the game is a bit counter-intuitive and to put one’s stats into stuff that helps with dialogue (charisma, intelligence and… something else?) but that’s about it.

Guys, what’s the best version of Metal Gear Solid 3 to play today?
Is it the 3DS version? Or others?

Does it still make sense to play it today?

Wow I guess “Port Everything to Switch” started before there was even a Switch

You wanna make sure your Wisdom is completely maxed, because it gets you an xp bonus which makes it easier for you to level and makes you more powerful more quickly than if you had invested in Powerfulness stats (like Strength and Dex). It also unlocks the most stuff in terms of dialogue choices. High Charisma is also nice but really Wisdom is the thing in Torment. (Note that this is extremely weird for D&D as a tabletop system or even as it is normally depicted in videogames, it is an entirely Torment-specific oddity)

2 Likes

worth noting the 360 port of MGS HD collection is better than the PS3 port. framerate is notably better.

i’d go with that version because the 3DS version sucks and the PS2 version needs pressure sensitive buttons (so: fine on PS2, very finicky and obnoxious to emulate)

2 Likes

all true but kojipro rendering just looks wrong to me on that AMD X1900 derivative in the 360, the models are too smooth, I need that reality synthesizer to get close to the original if I’m not emulating

1 Like

the best metal gear is ghost babel, so you should probably just play that one. “ghost babel” and “black chamber” sound cool.

Sophie_N'dram

1 Like

Out of curiosity, why does the 3ds version suck?
I am asking, because I have it, shelved somewhere (but I had never played it, too much backlog). Back then, it was saluted like a good version of the game.

worst framerate, worst resolution, worst controls, 3d doesn’t add much

easily the worst version of the game

i mean, it’s still good! it’s a pretty impressive port! i just wouldn’t recommend that version if you have literally any other available means

1 Like

yeah the 3ds one runs at like 15-20fps.
i think it controls a lot better if you have a 3ds with the second nub, but i could be misremembering that.

Ok! Thanks guys. Is there also a way to play it on PS4?

The 3DS version does the one thing I wanted it to.

First person view is no longer in 3D after Snake loses an eye.

Was it worth playing just for that? Nah.

20 Likes