Quick Questions XIV: A Question Reasked (Part 1)

I did see it, and it’s Songs of Conquest. Maybe closer to a straight Heroes clone, though, which is fine too.

Do we have a homebrew thread?

If not: is it currently possible, with homebrew, to play offscreen on the Wii U (both controlling and viewing the game) gamecube games such as Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness?
I am keeping the Wii U just for this perspective…

On a totally different note: Sony is doing great offers for ps4 games, but they all are digital versions, i guess? Is it possible to get the same offers on physical discs, from them? I really don’t want to update my firmware by connecting to the store.

The games play well enough but the menu system is baffling and they made digital boxart/cartridges for all the games BUT not the actual boxart/cartridges.

But the menu has a day night cycle? It has a lot of weirdly placed effort.

When you have the oppurtunity to but Landstalker and Streets of Rage 3 I am not going to tell you no.

2 Likes

The emulation is mostly fine, with a few sound issues. Particularly sonic 2 when you finish the game with all emeralds, the ending tune is slowed down by half. The sound isn’t quite right in some games, like Comix Zone and Streets of Rage.

At launch there was a constant issue of weird hiccups that got patched out eventually. Some people have mentioned input lag but I didn’t really notice that

1 Like

PSN is Sony’s store. Those deals will only be reflected in physical sales, if other vendors decided to respond/compete with Sony’s sale.

With black friday and cyber monday already passed, you may have missed out on some deals. But, keep checking slickdeals.net. Blu-ray.com also has a decent deals section.

https://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?sortby=popularity&category=ps4

1 Like

haven’t played the ps4 version myself, but i definitely ran into a lot of input lag when i played it on pc.

1 Like

Sony started selling direct recently so you can in fact get some (all?) of these games in physical form if you buy from Sony directly.

edit-Appears to be Sony exclusive games only with a few caveats like Minecraft.

2 Likes

I think people have discovered how to do this now actually?

1 Like

We probably do have a homebrew thread but I’ll just reply here

Emphatic yes

Lemme dig up the most recent guide to this

So this assumes you’ve already hacked your Wii and installed custom firmware like Haxchi, which is what I am using. I use the method called “Individual gamecube injects” which is nice because you just (1) launch Haxchi and (2) run the Gamecube game straight from the main menu. No fiddling around with the Virtual Wii shit.

There’s a whole FAQ on getting Haxchi installed:

2 Likes

Did anyone here play the Grandia ports on Switch? Would you recommend them to someone who loves Dragon Quest / Chrono Trigger / Phantasy Star but is indifferent to Final Fantasy (except VI), SMT etc? How do they rank on the anime-o-meter?

Thank you very much. Tomorrow i will study it :smiley:
Yup, i have Haxchi installed on it.

1 Like

I don’t know about the Switch port but I’m fairly sure you’d probably at least love Grandia 1. The vibe is Hopeful 80’s anime, very Mysterious cities of gold, the towns are big rotatable PSX towns full of people with too much to say. It’s very easy, linear, with a cool battle system, and frankly too long.

Grandia 2 is embarassingly edgy anime, go look up « Melfice » on google images if you want a laugh EDIT: or just check out the next post

I like Grandia 2 a bit more than 1 because it’s less bloated, has perfect Dreamcast graphics and because cancelling an enemy attack is even more satisfying than in the first one. But the loss in atmosphere is a hard pill to swallow

4 Likes

teleports behind you

2 Likes

ive only played grandia 2. the battle system RULES and all the characters are cool ass chunky polygons BUT the walking sound gets annoying

i tried grandia 3 but the walking noise is worse in that one

2 Likes

I don’t remember much about Grandia 2.

However, at the the time of release. My best friend’s mom worked at a furniture store. And for some reason, my friend had his dreamcast setup there, in the back. So…I watched him play a lot of Grandia 2, in the back of a furniture store. We were Highschool freshmen.

And it was one of those situations where “Hey we know this is a furniture store. But, the back office…This desk is pretty good. But yeah the carpet is old and dingey and the chairs are random junk and it hasn’t been repainted since 1982…”

2 Likes

Okay I think I’m sold

I’d forgotten that I actually own the pc port of Grandia 2, found it last night while unpacking. I bought it about 15 years ago and only played about 2 hours tops. All I really remember is the bird with his goofy voice. I think I bounced on it mostly because I was a bit over jrpgs at the time, but I would probably give it more of a chance as a commute game

The collection is 30% off on switch now, if anyone else is interested. At least in my region, anyway

1 Like

Why is Potion Seller suddenly trending again?

how do i get the dog to attack in shadow dancer on genesis? i remember doing it all the time. all i can do is get the meter to fill and it beeps a bunch, but the dog never attacks enemies

did mobile format get changed just now? or am I going nuts