Quick Questions XIV: A Question Reasked (Part 1)

mgs4 was a great game to watch your roommate play

7 Likes

Iā€™ve played about 3 hours of MGS3, about 8 hours of MGS4, so Iā€™ll probably hit around 18 hours of MGSV if that pattern holds. But maybe it wonā€™t! I donā€™t give a ratā€™s ass about any of the plot tbh

1 Like

See the thing about MGSV is you can spend hours and hours just fucking around and not really caring much about the plot. They even feed you plenty of side ops you can just go and do while wandering around too.

3 Likes

MGSV is the best Metal Gear for not caring about the plot, because it doesnā€™t care about the plot that much either.

4 Likes

I am glad to hear these things

What is the earliest example of crouch-jumping in a first-person game? I heavily associate it with Half-Lifeā€™s level design, but in most other FPS games I can think of it isnā€™t as explicitly acknowledged by the design and is just something players can adopt into their style. This video from darksydephil playing Black Mesa yeaaaars ago got him a lot of flack because he simply didnā€™t know that crouch-jumping was a thing, and there is zero tutorializing it in this segment.

I watched this back then and laughed (ā€œbugged jumping mechanicā€ lol), but I think this really speaks to how crouch-jumping had shifted in the popular grammar of FPS inputs by that time.

2 Likes

Half-Life had that mechanic where you launched yourself by like running, crouching and then jumping but I always associated the basic move with Halo because sometimes you could get up to places you were supposed to be able to by crouching at the height of your jump, which would pull your legs up and allow you just clear the edge of whatever you couldnā€™t quite jump over.

1 Like

I am pretty sure that Half Life was indeed the introduction of crouch jumping.

Crouching itself was still relatively new to FPS games, having only appeared in Duke Nukem, System Shock, and Shogo before.

4 Likes

you can definitely crouch in dark forces, and i think crouch jumping might even be a thing in that game too?

3 Likes

system shock 1 has crouch mapped to the ā€˜Gā€™ key by default.

8 Likes

just thought i should mention that.

3 Likes

System Shock 1 is the one software in the world that involves more contorted finger chording than Emacs

6 Likes

g for ā€œgroundā€ :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Which games use the touchpad on the PS4 controller in an interesting way?

1 Like

is ā€œbig pause buttonā€ interesting?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s how Iā€™ve seen it used in every PS4 game I recall playing, but I understand the thing supports swiping or knowing the position you tapped it on. I have to imagine it was envisioned to be used for Nintendo DS style of shenanigans but that mostly didnā€™t happen. I noticed they kept it on the PS5 so Iā€™m wondering where it did happen to make them want to stick with it

honestly i am not entirely convinced that it even is a touch pad. i donā€™t think iā€™ve ever seen it used as anything other than a big button that lights up

ffxiv can use it as a mouse and i think diablo 3 opens different menus depending on whether you push in on the left or right half, but thatā€™s not exactly interesting or innovative

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to see the design bible for that controller to see how it was intended to be used. The most involved use of it I can remember was as the menu in Days Gone, where you had to swipe in a cardinal direction to get to one of the four menus in the game. So I guess it works great for games with exactly 4 menus?

2 Likes

In all my time playing the ps4 it has only ever been a major hindrance, making cursor fly across the screen and characters behave erratically, only because I dared to ever so slightly touch that black rectangle

So this has been interesting as the Cursed Giant Button To Avoid, I guess

8 Likes