Quick Questions XIV: A Question Reasked (Part 1)

Noticed that Days Gone is cheap now. In my mind it’s a big, dumb, MAGA biker thing that’s going to be regarded as a minor classic in the future. However, I really don’t know too much about it, is it worth it for 25$?

It has some pretty decent late-game plot twists but otherwise it’s mostly what it looks like. If you go in with low expectations you’ll probably be pleasantly surprised.

does anyone have a video clip they can share that has a good example of DLSS worminess?

I can grab one from FFXV, which has the worst example I’ve seen. Later implementations of DLSS 1.0 were fine if unimpressive; nothing else squicked me like that. DLSS 2.0 is great.

yeah, I’m trying to grab one from FFXV from youtube based on remembering you having said that. if you can get me a real low-res gross one that would be great.

I might have to re-download it. I remember noticing that something had to ship separate DLSS implementations for HDR and SDR and I think that might have been the issue in FFXV – that previews of the feature were based off the SDR build and the HDR build wasn’t configured correctly, exposing more artifacting.

let me know if it’s too much of a pain to do by the end of ~monday, I’d really appreciate it otherwise, I’m putting together a talk on changes in what’s considered tolerable video artifacting

Downloading capped at 5MB/s now.

I realized I uninstalled this 2 hours from the end after the latest patch removed the custom character creator they added for the…Souls-esque multiplayer mode? What a way to spend money

1 Like

I haven’t played it but I’m still going to be a jerk and say no, it’s just someone’s Sons of Anarchy/The Walking Dead crossover fanfic game and I won’t be persuaded otherwise

thank you!!

I spent $12 on it, and nope. Days Gone is one of those games where there’s no there there.

2 Likes

FFXV artifacting screenshots

FFXV_DLSSWorms_Asphalt.mp4

FFXV_DLSSWorms_Granite.mp4

FFXV_DLSSWorms_Soil.mp4

Let me know if the video links give you trouble; OneDrive wants to play them in a low-res encoder but you can download the 4k60 nvenc from the web player.

No low-res output unless you zoom it; DLSS only works at 4k output resolution. It’s something like 1440p internal. The artifacting appears to occur in the texel reconstruction to fill in 4k detail, so it’s pretty fine-grained. It looks like a sharpening & contrasting filter combined with the incorrect edge-connection characteristic of older neural net image reconstruction. Oblique angles appear to cause greater problems, as the DLSS reconstruction likely doesn’t have access to the underlying texture and is reconstructing from sparser, skewed texture data.

It’s just as nauseating as I remembered!

thanks!!!

i bought 25th ward: the silver case while it was cheap on steam thinking it was the first one, which isn’t cheap

do i need to play the original first???

Yeah, you really should. It’s even a sequel to another game called Flower, Sun, Rain.

Should probably play Silver Case first but you could theoretically enjoy half(?) of 25th Ward with no prior knowledge. Flower, Sun, and Rain is somewhat optional but I’d recommend it purely because it’s such an unusual game in its own right.

I thought Flower, Sun, Rain was after those two, is that not correct?

It’s in-between the two but it’s very loosely connected. It’s not even really clear it’s part of the same world until near the end of FSR. The only follow-on from it in 25th Ward is Tokio mentioning his trip abroad and Sumio reuniting with his love in a Lynchian sequence that connects to nothing else in the game. Oh and more silver eyes lore.

2 Likes

Does Siren: Blood Curse have the Sightjack mechanic that the first two do? I played that game when it came out, but I feel like playing with the mechanic in the original Siren now is freaking me out in a way like I’ve never encountered something like it before (it’s fucking nuts, the embodiment) but it also seems impossible to me that they’d make a sequel without this mechanic.

2 Likes

Yes, sight jacking is still in Blood Curse. Have fun!

2 Likes