Quick Questions XIV: A Question Reasked (Part 1)

The changes are pretty bad, I made a post about it a while ago: Boy they really fucked up Sonic Adventure huh?

The site where I was comparing them is gone now but a couple screenshots remain in the thread

However, if you only have the GameCube version, I think it’s still worth playing unless you can get the PC version with mods running.

1 Like

I guess it’s still problematic to emulate the dreamcast, is it?

Yeah, the other possibility could be to mod the steam version. I have found a Steam forum thread about it.

1 Like

I’ve never tried emulating DC honestly. Modding the steam version is pretty straightforward though. It’s literally an installer.

Dreamcast emulation is great now.

1 Like

I get the impression that Yakuza Kiwami 2 was for some reason disappointing. What went wrong with it? I haven’t played any games on the Y6 engine, but it looks pretty sleek and cool from the vids I’ve seen. Though, I know from playing Y3 that the first Yakuza games on a new engine do have their share of problems. Yakuza 2 is my favorite. I sent my friend my copy of Kiwami 1 in the mail to get him started with the series and thought, oh no, what if that game turns him off from it? And then I got to thinking that at least Kiwami 2 was much better… but is that true?

Edit: I don’t think it would be an entirely bad idea to play Kiwami, then 0 as a prequel, and then continue with Kiwami 2. I know it must just completely suck to play 0 and then move on to Kiwami…

I played and greatly enjoyed Kiwami 2 but never played the original (I started at 3). I’ve not heard what’s disappointing about it, it’s a contender for my favourite in the series.

1 Like

I found the encounter design, the combat itself, and the pacing a lot less inspired than 0 – most of the non-storytelling was comparatively padded

2 Likes

Hmm maybe it was something to do with expectations coming off Y0 then? I think I’ve heard some people criticize the combat because of the engine, but it doesn’t look that different from what I can tell.

I’m going off of very old memories from the first time I played Y2, but it felt like two stories moving in parallel that didn’t really have any narrative connection to each other. One being the “dragons of east and west”, but that was a conflict being forced upon Kiyru that he didn’t have a personal stake in. The other plotline was one Kiryu did have a personal stake in, but felt like just a bunch of sidestories and short stories that’s more of a creeping vine than a tree; too weak on its own to be a satisfying story.

3 Likes

Interesting to hear the takes. I think I overvalue Kiryu’s thread with Makoto as it felt like a potential spark of happiness for him (coming after the relatively depressing state of Kiwami and 6’s endings Kiryu-wise). I also admired what they went for with the combat in Kiwami (setting you to basics) but hated it coming off of 0’s craziness.

I also like Kiryu and Makoto, and the romance with Sayama the most for that same reason. I was pretty sad Sayama didn’t really stick around and frustrated that she just disappears at the beginning of Yakuza 3. I think I generally find the big drama of Yakuza stories as like a pretext for all the small, insignificant seeming stories to take place. I’ve never been really satisfied by the climaxes of the games, other than for what they are as a big hueg goofy brawl fest on top of a skyscraper. But at least with the climax of Y2 I think it is so ridiculous that it’s endearing: Everyone is a Korean orphan.

2 Likes

Yeah, this was surreal for me because I started Yakuza 3 like 11 years ago and was like who is this. Then I finished Yakuza Kiwami 2 having finally caught up on the whole series and was retrospectively mad but also finally got closure on the initial ‘wut’.

2 Likes

The side storys are a bit of a step down from Zero as a number of them are just taken straight from the ps2 original.

But it does have more Cabaret Club.

1 Like

Someone posted a music video of Deus Ex once that had the “it’s a bomb” line sampled set to a cool techno beat/riff and the player was running around throwing molotovs and ninja stars at cats or something? Does anyone remember this?

Kiwami 2 is a better upgrade of 2 than Kiwami 1 was of 1. Don’t expect it to be as modern as 0 or 6 and you will be fine.

It’s still definitely pretty dated in a lot of ways in terms of design, and you can tell there are some weird flags on things that wouldn’t be as apparent in the PS1 original. Otherwise, it is mostly a solid upgrade, and avoids completely screwing up Majima’s character as much as Kiwami did. For reference, Majima showing up in 2 was a surprise because the original version of 1 sure made it look like he was gone forever, so some slight zaniness was OK in 2. Even Majima jokes about “going straight” in the original 2 after you know ramming a goddamn truck into a building on fire and such in 1.

3 Likes

Do we have a jobs thread? I’m interested in QA, so if anyone works in that field, DM me cause I’d love to pick your brain if you have a moment.

i dont think this is the video you mean but it’s the closest one i know

sample is from

2 Likes

Nope that’s not it. But that is a good video!

i feel like @DJ would have a lot of words for you

1 Like

Does anyone know the illustrator for this? The other Senko work is done by Shuji Sogabe and Mizuki Takayama but vgmdb doesn’t have a credit for this. https://vgmdb.net/album/71494

3 Likes