Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

questions about the Armored Core franchise:

1. Corporate warfare & sabotage is apparently a big part of the setting/plot in most of the series, and those same corporations often design and sell AC parts, even sometimes giving them to you for clearing missions or advancing in the arena. Is this ever used against the player? Like if you take a mission from Company A to raid a lab run by Company B, and you’re rocking some sweet Company B prototypes, can they lock them down or otherwise jam you up?
    Or is there some implicit understanding that the ability of the player to experiment with any part without fear is inviolable? I know in at least some of the games, you can sell any part back for what it costs.

2. At least one of the AC games (Nexus?) comes with a second disc featuring remakes of missions from earlier games in the series. Is it the only one? Are there any remakes of full games?

3. What games/series are closest to Armored Core in…well, being like Armored Core? Like if you wanted to play AC without playing AC, and maybe with a bit less of a focus on toe-to-top customization. It doesn’t have to be full on AC-style, I guess I’m mainly looking for mech mission action. But I’m also looking for less obvious stuff, instead of just being told to play MechWarrior or Gundam Musou or whatever.

I recently acquired a Sega CD. The eBay seller claimed it was in working order. Technically, it is, however it freezes a lot and games like Sonic CD don’t have working music.

I’ve read about a lot of possible issues this thing could have, and I’m trying to diagnose them.

The big question on my mind at this second is a sound that comes from the system when it runs. Should Sega CDs make any sound at all? It doesn’t sound like the misaligned cd drive noises I’ve found online, but it definitely makes an audible sound. Is this normal?

in a dignified household Sega CDs should be seen but not heard

1 Like

and the 32x lives in the attic

1 Like

Mr “Kolibri” Rochester

1 Like

I’m flabbergasted

Not that I can recall. Most screwovers in AC the player actively deals with is just taking a mission that turns out to be a setup and fighting your way out of the ambush and such.

I think supposedly the organizations backing whatever the mercs are called for any given installment are able to push on a level of neutrality from the corps, it seems to be they have a near monoply on talent. And I’d imagine on the unseen support end of things whoever is actually doing the work on your ACs probably goes over shit with a fine toothed comb to deal with any backdoors and such.

The closest you’ll get is some missions might be much more difficult depending on your setup, but that’s purely on a practical basis, like a mission defending an offshore platform leaves you little room to move with normal legs and taking a dive is a failure, but hover legs let you move over the water freely, or a facility penetration ends up being especially long and you end up out of ammo before its over and you have to start over bringing a setup with more/higher ammo capacity guns or extended magazines. Another Age even had a mission or two unbeatable depending on setup, I remember one had massive jumps over gorges and you simply couldn’t make them without a setup with high jump capability.

In general AC just kinda ignores stuff on the player’s end for the game’s sake. Like Human+, which basically gives you cheats when you lose the game by acquiring massive debt, you get a cinematic of an operation, the implications being that you’ve sold yourself for these experiments that give you these abilities. And in many games you see the occasional company merc who story wise are implied to be modified (as opposed to ones that obviously use the cheat abilities but with no story mention are probably just meant to be harder opponents) and that’s why they’re in whatever company’s pocket, but the player can just run through as normal.

Yeah that’s Nexus, and it’s the only one.

Closest might be Front Mission Evolved. But I have never heard much good about FME, though I haven’t played it myself. Like even if someone isn’t talking bad about they aren’t really praising it, either.

1 Like

so, if I’ve only played Yakuza 0, but I’m excited about Kiwami 2 because of the new engine, do I really need to play 1 at some point?

i kind of want to make a post asking which yakuza i should play if i’ve never played anybut i’m nervous about how many times that exact post hasn’t been made so i keep putting it off

https://selectbutton.net/search?context=topic&context_id=302&q=Yakuza&skip_context=false

1 Like

yeah yeah

You could do with watching a supercut on youtube.

It looks like the time has come at last for me to buy a PS4. I definitely don’t need the pro model, so it looks like slim is the one for me. Does anyone have any hot tips on the best way for me to acquire one? My current plan is to storm into Target and wave a wad of hundred dollar bills in the air until someone gets it out of the little glass case for me.

I need to play Yakuza 0 and Bloodbourne, darn it!

2 Likes

I mean you got it. That or look for a good deal on craigslist or offerup or whatever people use in 2018.

i look at deal websites, and wait until there’s a good offer from a reputable retailer. sometimes no good deals come along tho, so that’s not especially useful if you decide you want to buy something this week.

lots of people seem to think amazon have good deals in their warehouse section (stuff thats been returned) but i worry too much about whether things are working as they should so its better for me to buy things new.

EDIT: in the uk, other retailers seem to sell (returned?) stuff off cheaper on ebay, not sure whether they do the same where you are

thing with 2 and Kiwami 2 is that the story is pretty much the most stand-alone of them all, and you’re not really missing much if you jump straight from 0 to 2.

if anything, there’s an immediate connection with two very important characters in 2 who both had a side mission in 0. plus kiwami 2 continues majima’s story from 0. plus apparently the cabaret club stuff in kiwami 2 has been rewritten to serve as continuation of the cabaret club shenanigans in 0, returning characters and all.

basically in yakuza series, it’s only starting from the 3rd and moreso from 4th entry where playing in order until 6 becomes important. in that sense, 0 and 2 might be probably the most representative slices of the series to newcomers who are not sure if they’re willing to invest their time into all the entries

1 Like

I got my PS4 as an Amazon warehouse deal for like $300 CAD checking one morning at random not really planning to buy one a month before Bloodborne came out

This was really good considering they hadn’t had a price drop yet and the CAD was just starting to fall off the several years it’d been 1:1 with the USD because of oil; it was at least 30% off, and I couldn’t actually locate anything wrong with it.

It also came with the last of us which I’d already played but hey

1 Like

get this

4 Likes

this is great news, thanks!

it’s worth its weight in gold playstation 4s

2 Likes