Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

Yeah Korra was definitely their most phoned in license that I played. I never did get to try the TMNT game, though.

And oh yeah, the Devastation soundtrack is great.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for the write up
I think the only Platinum games I have actually played are MadWorld and Nier Automata, but if it’s closer to the latter then I think I might check it out. Rescuing cats sounds cool.

1 Like

how rote is the non combat stuff?

is the level design just sort of generic combat arenas stitched together or does it share automata’s interconnected, lived in “real” feeling spaces approach.

Astral Chain has really nice-looking colors and the combat seems cool but it also seems like it could be the kind of thing that’s full of busywork and mandatory sidequests? some of NieR: Automata’s best stuff was in its sidequests, but i enjoyed never really being forced to do anything if i wasn’t in the mood. is that the vibe here?

i have too much to play, so AC is something i’ll probably postpone until it’s on sale.

Hmm, yeah I guess the only other question I’d have is whether it manages to sell the “90’s Anime / Shirow Masamune” vibe or whether the story aspect is the right kind of goofy fun, because otherwise the non-combat portions might end up feeling like tedium

Some of the side stuff can be fairly rote but there’s a good amount of variety and it makes the world feel more real. Like, you might use your Beast Legion to track the scent of a missing dog or use the rotor controls to balance a 13 scoop ice cream cone over to a crying child. The side stuff isn’t mandatory either.

It’s not open world like Nier, each chapter basically hubs out from your police station. But then again each chapter is Really Long and a lot are kind of open worlds themselves, with large areas loaded with side stuff (if you want to do it), etc. The world feels believable to me and there’s a lot of lore there if you want to appreciate it more. The parts where you go into the astral plane are more abstract and definitely are just there to solve simple puzzles or have arena fights. I’d say you spend a lot more time in the “real” world than that though.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s fair to judge beat em ups and sytlish action games in terms of level design but rather encounter design since the combination of enemies and frequency with which you fight them in a fight essentially substitutes for that but also I can’t tell people how to feel about entertainment and how they interact with it

essentially I’m trying to protect God’s most perfect genre from actual, objectively true criticism

2 Likes

do you like controller vibration

• i like controller vibration
  • i wish controller vibration was opt in instead of out
  • i hate controller vibration

0 voters

im not talking about gimmick useful stuff like tekken torture tournament vests or rez vibrator controller I just mean regular controllers vibrating

Well, you see, Devil May Cry 3.

Harder,
Better,
Faster,
Stronger

tape joycons to my groin and boot up Lumines

teledildonics is so good right now strapping a controller is worse than an electric toothbrush

1 Like

until sex toys interface directly to my Switch and let me feel the beat of Shining while I puzzle, I’m making due with what I have

and what I have is a roll of packing tape

quick question have you actually jizzed with a vibrator or are you rusing me

1 Like

god hand proves that level design is encounter design in these kinds of games

3 Likes

and replace yet another hard-working American with automation?

(I 100% realize that controller vibration is weak, the joycons moreso)

except humans use them on eachother!!! damnit i just wanted to talk about controllers but ive become the one trick horny pony once again

2 Likes

also taking this to mean that the level design is indeed boring?

that’s not being horny, that’s being experienced :ok_hand:

well, my dumb default assumption is when that point comes in that people are trying to attack man’s purest creation because “level design” gets applied to space design and not the ebb and flow of the experience as a whole, which I think is a large part of why a lot of critical consensus start going against them

but also I was talking generalities and not about AC, a thing I have not played and am salty that I don’t have the cash for currently (along with RCG)

at the same time, i get wanting to have a fully realized world instead of a more sterile set of rooms because when the game can’t elevate the experience, you start looking past the set dressing and the monotony sets in

1 Like