Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

I listened to a remix by Jump Smokers on YouTube once and got six months of nonstop nicotine patch ads following me around the Internet out of it.

which of the musou games on switch is the best one

I have only played one but it’s Zelda Musou

if you don’t already own Zelda Musou from the Wii U, don’t think, buy

1 Like

I get the opposite of this. I was watching benign mid-2000’s music videos last night and half the recommendations were things like “10 things that got censored in Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball XXX” or “6 things you never noticed in tomb raider” with an arrow pointing to boobs, or whatever. I have a very difficult time escaping my terrible nerd-universe on youtube.

The fact that we all have such different experiences says to me that nobody knows how it works.

7 Likes

i have been getting recommended this video about like 99 reasons why the sam raimi spiderman movies SUCK ASS and the thumbnail is a pic of tobey maguire screaming

its like half an hour long and i will never, ever watch it

idk i feel like youtube knows me better than i know myself

2 Likes

Yeah I mean if 99.9% of your youtube recs don’t make you picture Werner Herzog saying “You must never listen to this” then you need to tell me your secret.

6 Likes

Practically no one knows how it works. Modern machine learning algorithms are massive general-purpose pattern matching machines that try to deduce rules from a set of test data and apply it on a greater body of data. Tuning one of these algorithms is harder than most people imagine because more often than not, the only recourse you have is to feed it enough samples to veer it away from a particular unintended consequences only to cause other unintended consequences in the process.

A good example would be a spam flagging algorithm that analyses a set of sample spam messages that all coincidentally have a vowel as their third character. That rule might make sense to a general-purpose pattern matcher, but in context, it’s completely absurd because we know that has no actual bearing on whether something is spam or not.

A lot of the modern Web revolves around machine learning algorithms that can only establish correlation, not causation, but everyone runs with the data anyway because it’s close enough I guess.

Luckily, Google is one of the companies that is known to have human-facing tools to help people with actual judgment influence the algorithm via means other than just flooding the learning data set with counter-examples, but I’m afraid the scale at which they operate makes it very hard for humans to keep up with it.

(If someone knows ML better, please correct me, I just know enough to put together basic photo recognizers and shit)

1 Like

Two live symphonies for each other video.

1 Like

Of all the weird Mahjong adventure games that have been released on the Switch, which one is the weirdest and best?

has anyone tried sprint vector? It looks very much my shit

Ikaruga is 33% off on Switch, is there anything about that port that makes it a hard pass?

2 Likes

Playing shooters with the joygon direction buttons sucks.

2 Likes

I’m guessing you’re saying I should’ve gotten that Hori joycon from Bic Camera when I had the chance

I do have a Pro Controller though

1 Like

I got the Hori dpad joycon, it works great. Only issues are that it doesn’t work wireless and is kind of ugly.

1 Like

Is there a thread on good title screens? Good menus? And/or does anyone have any favorites?

the Hori joycon is only ugly if you buy the weird branded NA versions instead of the off-color blue Japanese version that idiots like me own because they imported one back in August

1 Like

Is car stereo theft still a concern? I leave my doors unlocked so if someone really wants my 12V USB adapter or generic oem dash cam they can take it without cutting open the soft top, but I was thinking about putting in a CarPlay receiver for longer trips and taking calls/texts safely. I thought about this guy who does a neat transformer trick to look like a circa-2005 single DIN head unit, which appeals to the same part of me that loves watching vending machines.

2 Likes

I went with an aftermarket Joycon shell that includes a Dpad; works great and looks good in white with black buttons. However the manufacturing tolerance isn’t perfect and while the left joycon and its Dpad are great the right sticks the buttons if I tighten the shell to seal it. I could buy another but I can’t get the right
on its own and don’t feel like gambling yet.

However, full rumble support and the colors match on the sides.

People will still steal the hell out of this thing without the screen

Warning, my advice is Baltimore-biased

2 Likes

do car stereos not have removable face plates anymore???