Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

Any of you game dev insiders know if anyone is actually doing anything with Amazon Lumberyard?

Are there any Windows PDF readers worth using that aren’t Acrobat? I got spoiled by Preview.

I’m checking out Sumatra and Nitro but they look like they’re at opposite ends of austere and Office-lite.

other than the one in chrome (which implements only the open PDF standard, not any of adobe’s additional features which you sometimes need), not really. foxit was usable back in the day but in 2018 Adobe is up there with Nvidia in terms of “companies you kind of need to have a commercial relationship with, short of just pirating everything, for Windows tools to not be dramatically inferior to those available on other platforms.”

1 Like

A’ight. Time to cough up the cash.

I honestly wouldn’t have gone back to Windows from Linux if I didn’t get Creative Cloud and GPUs from work

It seems like I should get Creative Cloud for free through work but university IT gates everything behind different majors and departments to pinch pennies. Just gotta call around and shake the license tree.

I am also too lazy to setup whatever the 2018 version of a KVM is so I can use my MBP at a desk without messing with all of my cables.

1 Like

i like mupdf a lot but it’s very austere

pdftk is great on that note

also if memory serves I got work to allow me to install creative cloud on my home machine by first getting them to buy my solid state drive because I am a genius

ironically I think the windows on here is pirated because the Microsoft licensing guy wasn’t being any fun

1 Like

What do you mean? The PS4 version just came out and it’s cross play with the PS3 and Vita versions, so the game is safe for the time being.

I guess I’m specifically curious about the health of the community? I beat the game when it came out on PS3, but I wanna get deep into doing dungeon runs this time.

as someone who uses a lot of PDFs (for RPG books mainly lol), I like Sumatra far more than any of the alternatives.

What’s a good, relatively inexpensive Xinput/Xbox360-compatible wired controller for Windows in the year 2018?

I like the Xbone pad. Either it really grew on me, or they smoothed out some of the issues in more recent vintages. The “weird” colors sometimes go on sale for a reasonable price.

1 Like

yeah, the xbone pad is worth it

besides bluetooth on windows is sane now and you need it for VR controllers anyway

if you really need wired and are concerned about cost, just get a 360 controller

1 Like

You can get 4 of these for the price of 1 XBOne controller not on sale. Also colors.

Last time I was at costco the price was $43.

These are my two go to options. Some people think the Amazon branded XB1 wired controller is good for ~$30. I won’t link it because it’s not as good as the XB360 wired ones and those dropped to $25 before they went up to $35 and then disappeared altogether.

1 Like

I’ve got an Xbone controller and just rummaged up an extra cable for the wired connection, if memory serves me. I likes it well enough

1 Like

Amazon game studios is a sinkhole out of which only horror stories escape. Nothing wrong with CryEngine per se but nobody risking their own time and money wants to rely on a partner that can’t do anything right.

I think there are a few CryEngine games still trickling out (Kingdom Come ran on it) but I don’t know of anyone willing to tie themselves to Amazon’s mast.

1 Like

i had a 360 pad that looked exactly like that blue one, but it wasn’t “just the essential components”, since it had a bunch of pointless LEDs inside it, and a button on the back to switch rtf hem on and off

1 Like

I had no idea it was the CryEngine!

Yeah, an asset they picked up as Crytek restructured a few years ago. Oddly Crytek didn’t go out of business and have continued selling/developing CryEngine in parallel, leading to…confusion.

Crytek recently sued Star Citizen’s developer for using Lumberyard (it was formerly on CryEngine), for instance: