psychedelic games

psychedelic, adjective

1. relating to or denoting drugs such as lsd that produce hallucinations and “expand consciousness”
  2. denoting or having intense, vivid colors or swirling abstract patterns
  3. denoting an apparent distortion of time and space
  4. seemingly impossible interconnectedness between all matter

i made definitions number 3 and 4 up but they would totally make a game kind of psychedelic. if a game has 3 and 4 but it doesn’t make sense to call them psychedelic then they probably aren’t psychedelic but you get it. also if a game has none of this but is still psychedelic then it is.

there’s psychedelic level design and movement that can exist without the visuals. examples of that would be stuff like bubsy 3d, sonic heroes, jet set radio future, etc. moving across superstructures with complete ease is psychedelic. or maybe im fool

NiGHTS Into Dreams (1995/2008)

LSD: Dream Emulator (1998)

Bubsy 3D (1996) (and Bubsy 3D: Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Retrospective)

Jet Set Radio Future (2002)

Zenith (2012)

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy (2011)

Sonic Heroes (2003)

Galerians Ash (2002)

Baroque (1998)

15 Likes

REZ

5 Likes

AENTITY is about never clearing image retention, playing on never clearing the draw buffer // I think the reach of the author’s statement exceeds its grasp

Mirror Drop is absolutely built on visual processing confusion in a world of infinite perfect mirrors // my review was, ‘better than Yayoi Kusama’s Infinity Rooms’

PANORAMICAL builds off a visual sense of ‘falling forward’, which always tugs against my body. It’s more a music visualizer toy than anything

LUNE is the best VR experience I’ve had, cabbibo’s illustration of the birth and death of the universe and a warm blanket. In VR it exposes the potential of fully immersive and nonrealistic rendering:

7 Likes

Thumper!

2 Likes

Psychonauts

1 Like

kula world

cannon dancer

ancient aliens

1 Like

Memory of a Broken Dimension

I hope the expanded version of this game is still in development.

Icefishing V

If you try this game and are confused about what you are supposed to do, try to find and enter enter a thing that looks like a phone booth.

And Yet It Moves

Starting about halfway through the game. In fact, that level is called “Transition.”

Death Ray Manta

If you like Jeff Minter and Eugene Jarvis games, you might like this one.

Ilamentia

I still need to revisit this and see if I can get past some of the areas where I was stuck previously.

5 Likes

anything by jeff minter

spheres of chaos

6 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Distance

1 Like

PsychoDelia

1 Like

Earthbound

Just picking all the low hanging fruit.

4 Likes

I actually played this a bit back in the day. It wasn’t bad.

one of my favorites that is just weird mind poison is LA LA LAND, its got ridiculous mid aughts manic breakdown game maker energy and i love it

it came in five files, the first was just walking through a glitch forest, but in the next four there started to be bizarre narrative

im having trouble finding part four, which was one of those mazes where you control two characters, and youre wearing a chef hat

9 Likes

ALSO DYAD OF COURSE. tim rogers told me i wrote the best review of dyad, im embarassed to post it but if someone wants to see it i can link

this level is called GIRAFFES GIRAFFES FROM OUTER SPACE its based on: jeff minter’s space giraffe, the band giraffes? giraffes! BUT ALSO (this is the one i missed until i was in shawn mcgrath’s house, holding his hedgehog and making fun of him for having a personalized liscense plate that read h4x0r) based on the childrens book giraffes? giraffes! which was the first thing he bought for his then unborn son

shawn rules and he edited the game in front of my eyes, i was like MORE COLOR and he added more color it was great

its in my favorite genre of games, RAINBOW DEATH TUBES
each level has a different goal/theme… some levels you have to reach the end, some levels you have to go as far as you can before you die, some levels you gotta collect weird power ups ETC ETC
theres also BONUS EXPERT LEVELS wher ehtey fucking take away your ability to see shit so you have to go all on sound
man i havent played this game in forever so my memory of it is kinda hazy. i dont have the ps3 i got my early copy on and my laptop doesnt run it super well… BUT IT RUNS ON MY LAPTOP? which is amazing

also the game is 1337 mb and they had to add junk to it to make the file that big

david kanaga did the music he went on to make OIKOSPIEL which is another weird dreamy game!

8 Likes

oh!!! soundself!

its a game where you go in a tiny tent and drink tea and chant and your chants make COOL VISUALS also the developer was usually on psychadelics when he showed the game

3 Likes

I wish DYAD didn’t stop the music when you got hit, it’s such a mood-killer in an otherwise incredible experience

actually I should nominate Journey in honor of Grandpa the 17-BIT developer who lived in GRANDPA’S LOUNGE and played Journey every day for two years until 3 in the morning, on psychedelics

i really like how much you get punished for fucking up, it made me good at the game

i keep thinking im done and then i come up with another game

i dunno if this counts as psychedelic, but its definitely one of the best examples of insanity in games (not like theres much competition). apparently they consulted lots of people for it
my best friend who killed herself was schitzo affective and it reminds me of her a lot

1 Like

they also made a custom midi controller that you could play with panoramical that was really fun