PREY

That and it had NOTHING to do with the original game anyway, which ironically is what people are saying about this game.

I will concede though that they should have just come out and said ā€œthis has nothing to do with the original game, Prey is just an awesome nameā€ instead of this ā€œre-imagining of the original gameā€ bobo theyā€™ve said in interviews.

1 Like

Totally. I hate the idea that this game was not going to be green-lit unless Arkane acceded to Besthesdaā€™s demands of having a predetermined title.

One thing is for sure, it bares commentary on just how much AAA game producers are out of touch with their gamership.

1 Like

Yeah, but the thing is the concept would have been cool even if the game itself as it appeared in that vid probably wouldnā€™t have been all that impressive these days. A good game with that setting would still be better than a good game in the setting that this Prey looks like it has.

Iā€™d rather play a Dishonored-style game set in a galaxy far away full of alien weirdoes than explore Space Station Science Facility that totally isnā€™t Half-Life inspired at all, we swear, and fight moving pencil scribbles

If that were delivered the way Iā€™d picture it, a cast as an overspill from the Mos Eisley cantina, heck yeah!

My bones knows itā€™d just be Mass Effect 2ā€™s mob planet strung out over a dozen levels

1 Like

Chief activity: clicking on guys with gold ?s and !s

Turns out Mick Gordon is also doing this one, in addition to Routine and I imagine the next Wolfenstein.

Strangely this track reminds me of something Iā€™d hear in a DooM WAD like Back to Saturn X or Ancient Aliens.

Mick Gordon, manā€¦

Solid track!

Did you know Chris Avellone wrote this? I didnā€™t know Chris Avellone wrote this.

Also Routine got delayed for another couple of months.

1 Like

I did :wink:

1 Like

Apart from being literally nauseating (thereā€™s something weird with the camera), I liked this demo. You have to give the shockisms the benefit of the doubt, which Iā€™m willing to do because of the cute piss-taking peppered in. It seems to be along similar territory as SOMA thematically.

I read the PS4 version has some input latency that makes it feel sluggish but the Xbox version is fine though. Havenā€™t really decided which version I will get yet and now Iā€™m waiting to see if they fix the controller latency on PS4 by release time.

Ah! That combined with a tight FOV would be bad.

Any game that opens with letting you get to know your character by exploring her comfy apartment (which is full of books) and follows it through with a chill helicopter ride through impossibly blue, cloudy skies is alright in my book

I know thatā€™s completely not what Prey is supposed to be about, but I hope it will get back to this vibe from time to time

Chillwave/vaporwave/hypnagogic pop/whatever inspired soundtrack seems late by a good few years, but itā€™s more endearing than annoying so far

(also, some people report that the Steam version replaces the original Prey on your HDD, which would be hilariously awful if true)

The thing I love about walking sims is theyā€™re this but itā€™s just a whole game of it

4 Likes

oh, the demo for this

itā€™s like Bioshock, but good

which I guess would make it System Shock

I look forward to getting it for 50% off in 3 months because the market can no longer sustain single player-only games

Just played this for a few hours. Itā€™s basically System Shock with hints of Dishonored so far which is very nice. The earlier areas are kind of art deco-ish so it reminds you of Bioshock but itā€™s moreā€¦ subdued? I guess. I really like it. I actually really like all of the art for this game.

The space station youā€™re on is broken up into big chunks separated by loading screens but each chunk is nice and swiss cheese-y, and the load times arenā€™t very long either.

Iā€™m playing it straight. Just me, my wrench and shotgun, and my wits. Iā€™ve found several weapon upgrades so my shotgun is on its way to being fully upgraded. Thereā€™s mods for your space suit! My current objective right now is to go find the propulsion system for my suit so I can explore zero g areas. I could be pushing along the main quest or finding other human survivors but souping up my space suit is taking priority.

Thereā€™s an achievement for getting though the game without taking any upgrades, either human or alien.

Arkane were also talking about how originally they were developing systems for like limb breakage, so like you could break your arm or leg, or starve if you donā€™t eat often enough but dropped it because they ran out of time. Theyā€™re saying they might put it back in as DLC lol. Super hard survival mode.

Itā€™s already difficult enough for me since itā€™s not really designed to be an FPS like Doom or Wolfenstein, which is why Iā€™m pumping points into my shotgun so I can blast through bigger enemies and donā€™t have to spend a lot of time creeping around avoiding things on my way to the next plot point.

Story impressions are positive so far. Iā€™m interested in seeing where this goes.

The left and right bumpers are exclusive lean buttons.

1 Like