Post your Unique Retroarch Problems Here

Protip: you can turn the notifications off so the text doesn’t pop up on the PS4 ever and this is the best.

1 Like

the vita build of retroarch doesnt have working snes savestates…unless youre playing cybernator, in which case they work fine

4 Likes

my main beef atm is that it is distracting me from achieving a 1st place finish on the intermediate track of virtua racing

3 Likes

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as RetroArch, is in fact, libretro/RetroArch, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, libretro plus RetroArch. RetroArch is not an emulator unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning libretro program made useful by the libretro cores, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full software system.

Many computer users run a modified version of the libretro system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of libretro which is widely used today is often called “RetroArch”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the libretro system, developed by The Libretro Team.

There really is a RetroArch, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. RetroArch is the frontend: the program in the system that provides the user access to the libretro cores. The frontend is an essential part of a software system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete software system. RetroArch is normally used in combination with the libretro API: the whole system is basically libretro with RetroArch added, or libretro/RetroArch. All the so-called “RetroArch” distributions are really distributions of libretro/RetroArch.

2 Likes

What is your solution with modern controllers?

it does an annoying white flash now when you the screenshot button too

1 Like

my solution to the C-button conundrum with modern controllers is to bury all of them and adopt the N64 controller as the new standard

it even has 6-buttons!

1 Like

please note that I will also accept someone making weird disc devices that turn the touchpads on a Steam controller into an actual usable set of dpad and buttons

How about Retroarch Nacho and Libretrortilla Godzilla

The default bindings let you hold the right bumper to switch the face button bindings to the c buttons. I know, its still pressing an entire extra button but its also the best compromise I have encountered for modern gamepads.

So display shaders are cool and neat and can these days seemingly have games look like anything you could ever want. Does Retroarch or any other emulator allow you to change game audio in similar ways? I guess most people would see no reason to have it be anything but crystal clear but what if I actually did want my Game Boy games to sound like it’s coming out of a muffled little mono speaker while I’m sitting in the back of my parents’ car going on a long road trip? Can that be done even through external tools or programs?

Honestly though I just want something that sort of slightly muffles the music when some 8-bit stuff get particularly screechy.

there are things like Equalizer APO that can apply universal effects to all your sound, that’s probably the kind of thing you’re looking for. I’m not sure what effect would muffle screechy 8-bitness. Maybe compression so the peaks aren’t so…peaky?

1 Like

A low-pass filter will dampen the screechy sounds; they recently exposed it in Retroarch’s preferred Genesis emulator because early hardware had it built in (and it really does help).

Retroarch supports plugin DSP filters that could set this up, I see some people poking around this:

2 Likes

can the loading times on psx stuff be meaningfully sped up

precaching the iso and increasing the emulated cd drive speed both speed up loading

1 Like

install new RA version for Vita

boot it up

boot a game

retroarch did not, by default, define a pad for User 1, despite defining an input device and also binds

it also likes to crash in trying to bring the menu up, once being bad enough to necessitate a full reboot

cursed program

3 Likes

I feel like I’m going crazy every time I enable a CRT or NTSC filter in retroarch and it’s like someone is shoving vaseline down my eye sockets

I don’t ever recall an actual CRT television looking that blurry

I don’t even think my current LCD set with a system running into it via composite gets that blurry (god bless you Sony for putting in a picture setting specifically for 240p systems)

has my brain just been ruined by me running my old VGA CRT with switchres

is it the 8" PVM I own, which probably has a hilarious density of TV lines

did the time I hooked up my Genesis to the 34" Trinitron at work break my eyes

do I just forget what composite actually does

5 Likes

You aren’t truly playing retro games until you can hear the audiovisual crosstalk that comes from using a console’s RF output tbqhimo

(implement this in retroarch you cowards)

3 Likes

use gtuv050, control the YIQ and Vertical resolution yourself

iirc I once matched a screenshot of your favorite game Valis to what it looked like on your 8" PVM.

I like gtuv050, it’s given me the best results in trying to make useful information out of Genesis dither patterns (well, it’s got a very heavy blur pass). It’s been my goto since crt-royale won’t stop bouncing around the screen from presumably the interlace pass

1 Like