poetry in unexpected places

so i’ve been playing front mission 2 and when i was looking through the config options, i found that you could change the color palette of the windows

and all the palettes have names and i was really smitten when i read through them all

36 Likes

also i posted this a couple of months back, but this screen that comes up when you stop playing aquanaut’s holiday

is really kind

5 Likes

any screen from boku no natsuyasumi could fit in this thread because it’s all nostalgiasoaked visual poetry, i have a copy of the first one and i need to play it soon. i wish the four boku no natsuyasumi games weren’t spread out among four different consoles

2 Likes

i love this shit! been playing zelda: oracle of seasons recently and i find the text very evocative in an email spam poetry kind of way- something about the way its segmented into 4-6 word blocks by the gameboy screen.

3 Likes

MUSIC, THE FISH
STIRS IN THE EGG
YOU ARE THERE…

THE WIND FISH IN
NAME ONLY, FOR
IT IS NEITHER.

IN SOIL SLEEPS
SECRETS, BENEATH
YOUR SOLES…

AROUND HERE,
SECRETS ARE NIGH

SECRETS ARE LIKE
WATER WHEN IT
COMES TO BRIDGES

NOW YOU NEED
LOOK FAR FOR
A SECRET…

THE WIND FISH
SLUMBERS LONG…
THE HERO’S LIFE
GONE…

SEA BEARS FOAM,
SLEEP BEARS
DREAMS. BOTH END
IN THE SAME WAY
CRASSSH!

You are near the
Eagle’s Tower.
Beware of the
bird!

14 Likes

i always wondered what sea bears were

yessss

2 Likes

i thought anodyne was full of these until I realized all of them are just references to other game / nerd things

The Indies Need To Be Killed

3 Likes

i feel that gnomic action game epilogues are a special case… from the vgmuseum archives here are Fever SOS, Blazer, DJ Boy and Mirai respectively.

and lastly a nice user-generated poem as seen in a yt playthrough of the hypercard game Kangaroo Court

9 Likes

boss warnings, but especially radiant silvergun

9 Likes

Ages does this too!

7 Likes

2 Likes

Sine Mora, courtesy old mate brandon sheffield:

There’s a really old Hungarian poem called In The Sieve Of Time, by Endre Ady, that had never been translated before and I thought, “This is a job for a PhD, not for me.” But Digital Reality were like, “Can you just give it a shot?”, so I did. So in the Attract Mode, there is Hungary’s most famous poem. Something that was only translated for the first time with machine translation and me, and it is still only published within Sine Mora. I was actually looking around through libraries and I found that a bunch of his stuff has been translated and put into English, but just not that one. But that one had to do with time and death, so it was really appropriate.

3 Likes

something about ‘ephemeral storage’

6 Likes

extremely into that hanging “don’t it?”. guess it helps coming from ghosts

1 Like

whoah, just heard a care bear on tv say ‘tender heart’ at the exact moment I read gallop 3

densha de go professional

4 Likes

Nothing gets you pumped like “Wake up or die, my beast within!”

4 Likes

It’s probably just a CMS issue, a box unchecked somewhere

I like the phrase “a box unchecked somewhere” despite its questionable grammatical structure. And yeah I wrote this, but it was not meant to be poetry nor did i consider this sentence for more than .5 seconds, so it’s unexpected.

2 Likes

I missed this thread years ago but I’m going to think about the ephemeral storage of my instances for the rest of my ephemeral instance

2 Likes