Podcast Secret Level (podcast recommendations thread)

as far as weekly leftist current affairs pods / i like death panel a lot
https://www.patreon.com/deathpanelpod

1 Like

Rude Tales of Magic makes me ugly laugh, every episode

An absolute treasure trove of Surf Music podcast

https://www.diyribbonmic.com/adayatthebeach/

1 Like

I resisted listening to “How Did This Get Played?” despite liking both Faithless and Nick Wiger a lot because I hate the “How Did This Get Made?” podcast with a rather fierce intensity. But it’s really not like that at all. I’m loving it. The guests they’ve had on the episodes I’ve listened to all really bring something of their own experience and perspective to the games. I thought this was just gonna be more of HDTGM’s rampant trashing and overblown reactions to small things, but each of these games, however ridiculous or bad, gets broken down in really interesting ways that are actually probing about game design and play experience in a way that’s satisfying to me.

The main other videogame podcast I’ve listened to is “Retronauts,” and it is wild how much better this is–that Heather, Nick, and seemingly every guest actually have way more insight and breadth of experience and diversity of opinion than the average cluster of Retronautters. And they’re all actually talented entertainers too, so they know how to be interesting on microphone! And they’ve played what they’re talking about recently! I have hate-listened to “Retronauts” a bunch and now with a good videogame podcast like this, I will never feel tempted to listen to that again, probably.

Hearing Faithless express her opinions that send me right back to SB 1.0 is a real trip.

3 Likes

I particularly like the thoroughly exasperated commercial readings

1 Like

I don’t know how they can keep reading for dick pills, I really do not know how

I don’t know either but consider it essential for the tone now

2 Likes

This podcast is very good as of episode 3. Only 4 episodes as well so very brief.

1 Like

Been having a lot of fun listening through the archives of I Learned Nothing. A comedian with a degree in philosophy attempts to educate another comedian who knows nothing and doesn’t want to learn. Every episode is a different philosopher or concept in philosophy. Mostly it’s just really funny, but I’ve been learning a little bit along the way.

1 Like

The Good Place: Reality Edition?

Oh yeah, I guess so, except they’re funnier and they don’t consider leftist political philosophy completely off limits like The Good Place does.

I’ve been listening to a lot of (formerly Deadspin) David Roth’s podcast and also Desus & Mero’s and my wife is increasingly concerned that I am having a phase that will end in moving us back to new york

1 Like

Hey, the good place is consistently anti-carceral but thats the most leftist political philosophy they hit

1 Like

That Lee makes all the difference.

despite doing one in like 2007 for two years, I’ve been too Luddite to fool with podcasts again until lately. The shit with my stamp of approval so far is:

Purple Stuff - most folks will probably hate this one. The dude who kept me entertained in the early 2000s with articles about Ecto Cooler on x-entertainment.com does more of the same but in audio format. They go hard for Halloween and Christmas, and the seasonal music episodes are highlights if you’re into that sort of thing.

Roach Koach - local folks review nu-metal albums. Despite being improv people and being friends with two exes’ especially shitty exes (who occasionally pop up in mail segments) they’re good people. They just did a 3 hour episode on that album Limp Bizkit did without Wes Borland. They hate everything in the early episodes but eventually warm up to it all.

Podcast 99 - way too many episodes dissecting Woodstock 99. These cats aren’t as insightful about the music as RK above are (they totally glossed over weird Canadian teen band Serial Joe’s slot whereas the Koach gave them a whole ep), but they track down some wild sources to get deep into exactly what was going on. For example, I learned the beverage tents also carried milk. Oh and one of the dudes sounds exactly like Zeke from
Bob’s Burgers. Exactly.

You Must Remember This - clips of PE and SY songs intercut with carefully pronounced classic Hollywood dirt. Peep the universal monster and manson seasons.

Crimetown - everyone’s been telling me I get a special thanks in like every episode of season 2 and I still haven’t checked it out. Never above self promotion though.

4 Likes

jesus

1 Like

Want to very strongly second this.

Rude Tales of Magic is a very well-done improv comedy D&D podcast. Among the cast are Dr. McNinja author/artist Christopher Hastings, and boy howdy are they funny.

I still enjoy TAZ, but this season’s been slow, and Rude Tales (and No Rangers Allowed of course) has been delivering on the goofy D&D adventure craziness I’ve been craving.

3 Likes

Have been looking for a long time for an actual play podcast other than our own that I don’t hate and this has me very excited for the commute home tonight

the best TAZ episodes are the live shows now, because they just let it all hang out and goof off like i want them to

Dadlands kicked ass

4 Likes

Started listening to this yesterday, already 4.5 episodes in and it’s pretty fun. I literally had to sit down I was laughing so hard at Pat talking about Karl Marx’s collected body of work “only being two feet tall, kinda sad when you think about it.”

But

why do they both sound like Coach McGuirk

1 Like