Please, Carcassonne Was My Father's Name: The Board Game Thread

Hey have any of you guys ever heard of a tabletop Wrestling game called [B]CHAMPIONS OF THE GALAXY[/B]? I met the creator at a local comic expo and we gossiped for a bit and he sold me on it. We’ve been playing it all week on my house and it’s pretty fun, especially when you incorporate someone as like an announcer and a ref in addition to the two players.

Never heard of it, sounds neat, but if you want absolutely the greatest Wrestling Tabletop RPG ever made, check out World Wide Wrestling

I am like 80% of the way to wanting to run it but I don’t feel like I know enough about wrestling to do so. I know I’ve sent the pdfs to @loki but I can’t imagine him being the sort to run a game online. Still, I’d love to be a player in a WWW RPG session (and even in a campaign if it lives up to how neat the design is.

Amongst the neat things, instead of a traditional ‘combat system’, combat is centered on trading ‘momentum’ and audience favor, with the winner being semi pre-scripted but the actual contents of the match being collaboratively improvised by the combatants.

Champions of the Galaxy is a bit different - there are moves on each wrestlers card for attacks and recovery, but there are rules for things like No DQ matches, Cage matches and tag team battles - as well as rule cards for things like settling disputes, being attacked by a ringside ally at a promotion and setting up a feud match four way down the road. Apparently, one of the expansions the guy made also offers Faction Rules and some Franchise Rules as well - and the same ruleset works across all of the four different versions he has (one which includes wrestlers from the ECW/WWE/Chikara/Indie Promotions as well as like some post apocalyptic inspired wrestlers.

A lot of those things are also in place in WWW RPG, I am just be oversimplifying greatly for the purpose of brevity. There are tag team moves and match stipulations, etc. One of the recently released supplement books covers non-american wrestling styles

yeah, i wouldn’t be able to run or play an online rp, sorry D:
i’ve still actually not even look through those www books D: i’m so unreliable D:D:D:

i wish there was an english version of the japanese gurps book ring dream, which specifically focussed on women’s wrestling. even the jp version has been out of print for a thousand years though

Man I want to read that book because that game sounds like an absolute joy to play. Also because I have some friends I might be able to talk into doing that. I might be kicking some money that way.

Twilight Struggle PC version is out!

1 Like

fiiiinally

Turns out I am really bad at playing Twilight Struggle! Like, I haven’t won yet against the AI bad. Granted, I’ve played 3 games total but I haven’t quite figured out what I am doing so wrong.

Which power? Early/mid/late war? Which game end?

I’ve been playing US, losing mid war, victory points, usually because I can barely keep pace with USSR in any region and lose to region scoring as soon as they have even a marginal advantage.

Never use your remove from game events so your 4 stars stay in there. Always play the USSR events so they don’t show up again.

Millennium Blades is awesome. Only managed to get in two rounds out of a full game, but it’s beautiful to finally see in motion, like Galaxy Trucker mixed with Yugioh.

1 Like

I played Tales of the Arabian Nights this weekend. It took somewhere around 5 hours for us to finish due to constant incarceration/ensorcellment/envy (and one or two cake-breaks), and there were only a handful of encounters that were particularly interesting. It might just have been bad luck, and I’m inclined to give it another shot when I’m more excited about it and I’m with a group that would put some zazz into their reading. I guess I was expecting something a little more structured, with misadventure nested in misadventure, instead of a lot of aimless wandering into the same snake sorceresses and magnetic mountains.

Honestly, the way to improve the structure of totan is to remove some of the game rules: whoever gets a 20-point total wins regardless of what kind of points they are, and the game can also end when everyone is bored. I have a fairly low opinion of totan, considering it a bit less enjoyable than the kludgier story generators like eldritch horror or robinson crusoe

TotAN is great with 3 and ok with 2, I wouldn’t play it with more than 4.

Played a bunch of train games on Monday, and by a bunch, I mean Railways of the World Europe and Poseidon. For RotW, we snake drafted objective cards, which was cool, but I probably screwed myself by not pushing hard enough on the opening turn order bid to get Moscow, which was one of my objectives (2 points per link to Moscow). Ah well, still my best performance yet in RotW, ended up tied for third out of five. Europe with five gets congested like crazy near the end, every city ended up being connected and quite a few were completely surrounded by track.

what’s the official SB consensus on deckbuilding games

I was thinking about dropping cash on that involving a maid cafe, some 80’s SHMUP Boardgame I forgot the name of, Arkham Horror or Coup

Don’t get Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror is a straight upgrade (though still not that good). If the shmup game you’re thinking of is Kemble’s Cascade, I’ve heard it’s pretty bad. Coup is great, get the Reformation expansion when you get the chance as well.

As far as “pure” deckbuilders go, there are a lot of good choices. My favorite is still Dominion, but you also have Eminent Domain, Valley of the Kings, Puzzle Strike, Baseball Highlights, Salmon Run and probably a couple of others I’m forgetting, that all fulfill somewhat different niches. Tanto Cuore is ok, but it’s almost identical to Dominion mechanically and doesn’t have Dominion’s card pool.

Is it sacrilege to say splendor is my favorite deck builder?

Race for the galaxy also comes to mind.

Xenoshyft Onslaught is what the cool kids are playing, but it didnt tickle my pickle.