Please, Carcassonne Was My Father's Name: The Board Game Thread

if tanto cuore had more cards, i’d like it more than dominion, just because it has more complicated scoring mechanics. but it doesn’t.

marvel legendary is my favourite deckbuilding game, though it’s different to dominion et al in that it’s co-op, rather than vs.

don’t get any of cryptozoic’s licensed deckbuilding games.

I played Race for the Galaxy for the first time the other night! I had fun but it is definitely one of those solitaire games and it didn’t feel like anyone else really needed to be there. Like, it was fun in the same way that SimCity or something is fun. Was also one of those games that sounds terrible when someone explains them but it turned out to be pretty simple once I started playing.

I totally swamped the competition, which is funny because usually I’m the worst at these kinds of games. Maybe I’m actually getting better at them?? Or I just got lucky with my cards. Oh, we also played with two expansions.

1 Like

Valley of the Kings is the good deckbuilder. I haven’t played Eminent Domain yet

Don’t get Arkham Horror, get Eldritch Horror instead

Coup is great. Wait two weeks to get the brazilian art edition (either from the kickstarter which is acting as a glorified pre-order form or from amazon) because its aesthetics are WAY better than boring cyberpunk shit

If you actually had fun eventually you’ll realize it’s not really a solitaire game and paying attention to what the other players do will guarantee a way more efficient victory more consistently. This depends mainly on card knowledge, however. Basically, taking advantage of correctly guessing what phases other players will play will allow you to maximize your turns and this becomes easier to figure out by looking at things like: how many cards a player has, how many resources are in their tableau, how many points/cards they can get if they play a consume phase right now, etc.

I forget if someone mentioned this already, but boite a jeux has Kanban now. Lacerda’s best game imo, and one of the few point salady games I enjoy.

I played Forbidden Stars and I really liked it, but the first-time setup for 3 players seems ludicrously broken.

OK, I just realized how I could have stopped it after typing that, but preventing the chaos player from grabbing an objective turn one demands a pretty solid understanding if the game.

Still, the map is randomized after that game so I guess it doesn’t matter too much.

Hey this is very short term but does anyone want to play a game of Codenames over Tabletop Sim in the next half hour? If not, then, we should plan for an internet game night some time in the near future.

I’m in if we get a good sized group

me too

me too

4 folks is good enough/ideal for most games but I want six so we can play codenames

I would be willing to join, but it largely depends on when it is! I’m busy maybe 50% of my nights!

yeah that’s true for me too, i’d need some heads up, particularly over the next few weeks

i’d love to do it though

I just made one of those Doodle polls for selectbutton board games. If neither of those days work, we can delay it further.

My mother in law’s in town that weekend but I can carve out some time the weekend after that, I’m sure.

Related: I did this and I feel dirty http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688160555

I’d like to do Codenames, but I’ll be out of town that weekend unfortunately.

Also in case anyone hadn’t heard, SdJ nominations were announced.
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/54372/spiel-des-jahres-nominations-2016-codenames-imhote

Continuing my theme of shameless self-promotion, Cthulhu Realms is now available on Android and should be available on iOS tomorrow.

Oh and I got in on the kickstarter for that Dark Souls board game even though I can’t imagine a scenario in which I’ll have the time to ever play it

I think I like the idea of Mysterium more than what it actually is as a game. The set-up takes too long, you got cards that are useless far too often, the final phase feels too detached from the rest of the game.

I think it’s a cool idea and I’m glad I got to play it, but I kinda want to sell it while it’s still popular. But it’s also really pretty…

the import version is actually more straightforward from what I understand (I’m not actually sure what the official localization is like but I understand it has more arbitrary rules). I love mine.