Pixel GUIs

!

3 Likes

Hereā€™re some examples from games that simulate OSs that Iā€™ve been making a list of (left out the not pixely ones and super-not interesting ones). Most of them are a bit bland.

Project Perfect Citizen

Digital: A Love Story

Front Mission always felt like this to me, even though I guess theyā€™re just pretty regular RPG text boxes.

1 Like

You donā€™t know how tempted I am to make GTK versions of everything from this thread.

4 Likes

Heck yeah Front Mission.
Canā€™t believe I forgot about it! Iā€™ve always loved it

And if Iā€™d have the time, Iā€™d be tempted to customize a desktop to use them. A lot of Openbox themes have this look because itā€™s easy to define pixel bevels + plain colors in the theme files. Too bad true pixel fonts arenā€™t very practical in high-res monitorsā€¦

The chip programming UI in Carnage Heart also has this look of ā€œobscure app that can do cool stuffā€, mouse cursor and all

The PSX games look cool

While the PSP game unfortunately goes for the bright buttons glossy look. Yuck!

Oh yeah, thatā€™d kinda ruin it : (

Mid to late 90s Linux desktops were the best. The Enlightenment window manager pretty much sold me on Linux at the time:

This was the first version of enlightenment I used:

Later versions got even more baroque (and more than a little gaudy):

2 Likes

I like looking at Enlightenment, but I hate using it.

One of the weirdest experiments in Unix-landā€™s interface design, that have been sadly abandoned are the docklets/dockapps. Square, dockable monitors/helpers that you could stack on a side of the screen. Iā€™ve had a bunch at some point running on my laptop. Mostly useless, but it makes the desktop look futuristic and cool!

2 Likes

4 Likes

Fermi Clicker, from the Fermi Jam that ended yesterday

someone on tumblr is making a really nice-looking rpg in the style of old windows, but i canā€™t remember who they are or the name of their game

thereā€™s similar in some old diskmags, at least the jukebox stuff iā€™ve been able to find.

4 Likes

the old microprose magic the gathering game had one goofy messy ui going on

2 Likes

i love those things and also enlightenment. haiku has similar dockable apps in its replicants (passed down from beos 5) and a similar menu system to enlightenment except that youā€™re literally looking at your filesystem (so clean). the major thing i wanted enlightenment to have was dynamic tiling, but it didnā€™t as of three years ago when i last tried it. haikuā€™s got that (original to haiku, but its implementation is such that iā€™m wondering how beos ever did without it) and it is Lovely. still waiting on apps, though!

this is so beautiful.

hell yes, old soundtests. donā€™t know why i didnā€™t think of this vectorā€¦ lots more material to be dug up there.

3 Likes

i found it!

14 Likes

wow

black dawn

hired guns

perihelion

3 Likes