Path of Exile!

Launched on Tuesday. It’s free to play, with hundreds of dollars in “DLC”?

If it’s like on PC then don’t worry about the DLC too much, it’s all cosmetic stuff to make your character look different. Notice how I didn’t say “cooler” because what you get in game is plenty cool. The only thing you really need, I’d say, are additional tabs for your stash. Those are quality of life additions. But for like 5 bucks or so you get what you need. So I’d say try the game out and if you’re getting deep into it throw them some change and you’re good. The stash stays the same for all the characters you create so it’s a one time only thing. It’s really, really generous.

PoE and Warframe get mentioned as the examples for F2P being able to work ethically. I’m not aware of PoE overstepping that line like Warframe does every now and then. I’m quite the fan, actually. I might have spent 10 dollars on the game and Steam says I played it for 168 hours. So that’s certainly a good deal

Is this a Diablolike?

It’s Diablo II with a giant Sphere Grid.

It’s the only Diablolike! I mean sure, Torchlight is cool but PoE is the only true successor for me. It takes the formula and evolves it. Further than D3 did and without the stupid art style change.

A lot of people like it for the flexibility of spells and attacks you can use and that’s cool but for me what draws me in every few months is how hefty the game feels to play. I just love the audio visual feedback you get when you’re tearing through hordes of enemies. It’s a joy. I’m not into loot and sphere grids much but I just love the gameplay. And the atmosphere is close to the first Diablo too. It’s got more varied environments though.

I started messing with the PS4 version and it is pretty good. My Witch sometimes generates a minor bit of slowdown with her ridiculous number of summons already (4 zombies, 5 skeletons, and some random phantoms that appear when I fry someone with a fireball) but that is OK.

I never actually played as her or used summons. I like the more direct approach of clubbing things to death or shooting my bow.

This is the build I’m currently running:

From the video you’ll probably think wtf is even going on there but keep in mind that for the early game you won’t have that many effects going off at the same time. It just ramps up to 11 as you go along and I think that’s cool

Is this anime tiddy?

Every time I look at a build guide they have pictures like that but none if them look anything like the game, so I don’t know if it’s fanart or what. It’s a pretty drab game to be honest, at least for the first few acts I’ve ever gotten through.

It’s not as difficult to understand as it first seems but character building seems pretty deep between the sphere grid for character growth, the skill gem (read: materia) system for ability growth, and all the loot and equipment modification systems. The game runs in seasons with each seasons changing out some sort of mechanic or system for a new one, so it does a good job of giving players new things to play with. It’s easy to just start over and replay a different way.

I am very sorry for that thumbnail! I actually didn’t link the one video I really based my build upon because it had even worse anime buttcheeks all up in that thumbnail. It’s just how that particular YouTuber gets views I guess… Which is unfortunate and a blemish on the PoE community

Holy shit that skill tree…

Well, looks like I’m gonna check out Path of Exile on PS4.

It’s real good. There is some like Zerg Kerrigan-level animated boob on some of the NPCs, that’s about it?

1 Like

oh Lord

is there cross play and can I be a healer / buffer?

diabloalikes are embarrassingly my shit so count me in

Oh wait is there multiplayer??

Get pumped because not only is it multiplayer, it’s online only!!!

1 Like

your hyper randomized ‘loot’ attributes are generously computed by the ‘data center’ and then ‘streamed’ to your ‘thin client’ terminal where you can interact with their properties locally

2 Likes

Multiplayer in this is hella dope, it’s really fun to coop with a friend. I only ever did two player coop with different sb people but I think it goes up to six players! Definitely try that out

Also, damn, this had to come to PS4 for y’all to hop in?? For shame

My computer is shit, please don’t shame.

Most games have to come to PS4 for me to experience them.