P.T.

Did SB ever chat about this one? I’d like to see some discussion beyond “evil Konami” and “how to redownload”. It’s such a unique piece, a AAA indie game the size of a novella. Completely terrifying, and dripping with mystery. Years later, even with all the files mined, it’s still captivated my imagination.

1 Like

hell yeah

@Father.Torque @wourme @whoever else was in the yurt

1 Like

i was there

it ruled

1 Like

I’d been wanting to try P.T. for some time, but I never guessed that it would be in the dark at 2 a.m. with SB members.

I tried to persuade @shrug to trade PS4s with me because of this game, but our bargaining became somewhat complicated and abstract. Probably for the best, because he still hasn’t seen P.T. as far as I know.

Perhaps the most disappointing part of the full game’s cancelation for me was learning that Junji Ito was involved.

Of the games inspired by this one, Layers of Fear is pretty good.

2 Likes

I will continue to own this game and never play it because it sounds scary.

same

I will never see P.T.

i have also never seen PT or played VR even though these initialisms were so accessible

I mean, I guess I’m willing to someday see P.T. so long as the P.T. I am seeing is not the P.T. that is on my own PS4.

1 Like

It’s the scariest game! It really is!

2 Likes

Like, say what you will about Kojima’s love of cutscenes, the way he writes women, his convoluted plotlines, because none of it is here.

Also, sharing this great theory on the plot from the XeNTaX forum:

1 Like

I sure would like to come across another scary video game that could get to me the way a few have in the past, such as Silent Hill 4 and Fatal Frame. It’s difficult to say whether I’m just desensitized now because there simply haven’t been any games that even try to evoke that kind of response in recent years, as far as I know. Other than P.T., I mean.

Silent Hill 4 is the only video game ever to directly give me scary dreams. It also gave me an unsettling feeling while awake at times when I was not actually playing the game. See also Aderack’s old Insert Credit review.

Fatal Frame is my scariest video game experience while I was actually playing. But that is in part because it’s tied to something that happened in real life. I was playing the game late at night in our tiny apartment when an unidentified man began pounding on our back door (which we did not use because it led straight into our bedroom) and yelling that he could see us and we’d better open the door. The night before, we’d had a vehicle stolen from right in front of said apartment for the second time. He may have had some connection to that, but I’ll never know because I did not respond to him. I had to stop playing the game for the night at that point.

6 Likes

I think it’s because, mechanically, we’re not seeing things move beyond RE mechanics, and so there’s a desensitization to the gameplay rather than just the aesthetics? If that makes sense.

Like, not having a means of attack in Haunting Ground, Penumbra BP, Amnesia, was great. Fatal Frame is genius, I can’t believe more games don’t build mechanics around confronting the fear in order to progress.

P.T. is scary to me because it lacks clear feedback. Doesn’t happen in titles because no feedback = confusion and Bad Game Design, but the game actually embraces it to keep you in a constant state of unknowing. People can’t even come up with a consistant solution to the final puzzle. It’s genius.

I love how, if you go into it with the knowledge that it’s a SH game and not some unassuming indie game like they wanted, you might notice that they take the radio, a symbol of knowledge and comfort in SH, and twist it against you.

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, there’s a loop where you can look up in the foyer and see… what was her name? the ghost just staring down at you from behind the banister on the second storey. That was my favorite moment.

That, and the Rushing Loops were rad.

1 Like

It wasn’t until a recent playthrough where I noticed that you can look up at the blood dripping from the fridge for a splatter effect. That, and the dual layering audio of “hung himself with a garden hose/umbilical cord.”

There is a Silent Hill shaped hole in my heart that can only be filled with a steady diet of misanthropic lonely mid-2000’s Japanese horror movies shot on DV.

Ring, Marebito, Suicide Club, Uzumaki, Tomie… What else am I forgetting here?

1 Like
3 Likes

Good call, Noroi is great! I actually just rewatched that a month ago and it really holds up.

i remember downloading it and playing it when it came out, but erased it because i wanted to free up more space for digital downloads, figuring i’d still play the game when it came out

still kickin myself for that one

1 Like

Not the Siren Movie!