Output Devices

Really still want to thank @BustedAstromech for whatever specific settings he put in his Launchbox dump that makes MAME about as good as CRT-be.

I am here to say Frank Cifaldi self-confesses to not playing games! He probably has never futzed with Retroarch shaders for 6 hours!!!

2 Likes

I do not like any of these games media elder statesmen. the ex-gamespotters (now of giant bomb and supergiant) are basically the best of the bunch imo. and trevor strunk taking to alex degen is like, at least listenable but still redundant with any conversation Iā€™d have here. no thanks

Iā€™m willing to fall on my sword and argue that the illustration has enough dithering to imply an attempt to make it look better for then-current consumer displays and arenā€™t entirely a byproduct of artifcating or downscaling

but also I run 3D PSX games at higher resolutions so Iā€™m a monster

1 Like

Okay no joke I just turn off the vignette and Iā€™m good to go on CRT Royale is this an exaggeration or strawman or your experience?

The whole appeal for me is that someone else made the thing.

1 Like

i have probably futzed with CRT shaders for 4-5 hours in total, partially because I always forget that RetroArch can crash and just lose all the changes I made, and partially because Iā€™m picky as hell.

this is what i landed on (apparently two years ago??)

but Iā€™ve changed it a little since then, even. I like to turn composite on and off to compare, change the other numbers (usually down), or even go into the other Retroarch settings and turn on the RF filter to get really fucking weird looking.

Love to see the ways the numbers make the screen look different.

1 Like

just wait until they implement one of these in Retroarch, weā€™ll lose dozens of hours

(this is the only context I like visual programming in but itā€™s a very very good context for it)

3 Likes

oh and iā€™ve probably tried all of the CRT shader presets in Retroarch and theyā€™re all just a little different. I just really love to see how different people interpret the idea of CRT. Is it the curvature that matters to you? The chromatic aberration? the fuzziness? Do you literally want to simulate each little red, green, and blue dot that makes up a CRT? All of them are focused slightly differently, and I think itā€™s fascinating.

1 Like

and thereā€™s no canonical CRT; just like game makers couldnā€™t decide on what aspect ratio the Super Nintendo was supposed to be, youā€™re totally free to find what you think makes the game look best

I love a fuzzy bleeding NES image but Iā€™d prefer something more like composite for my SNES, please

4 Likes

Experience. I am in there flipping off different filter constantly. Trying to find the one that looks perfect for me.

Strangely the standard of Royale has always given me big black scanlines and shimmering so I donā€™t use it. Think I use geom?

i like to use RF so that every time the fridge or air conditioner or dryer kicks on in this hundred year old house, things get that much fuzzier. really adds to it

7 Likes

I need ā€œholding magnet to glassā€ simulation and degaussing simulation for the authentic experience personally

6 Likes

Think Analog Shader Pack 3 has this setting.

20210626_170429

20 Likes

for the record my stance on CRT purism is that itā€™s totally unnecessary and shaders are fine BUT I of the emulation have basically resisted having any kind of easy-on dedicated retrogaming device for my entire adult life and itā€™s an exceptionally fun way to scratch two itches at the same time with retropie or a mister

1 Like

Iā€¦kinda love the way this looks.

10 Likes

Canā€™t wait to run retroarch with windows 11ā€™s auto-HDR on, I want WORLD 1-2 blindingly bright

9 Likes

unfortunately it needs to be whitelisted by Microsoft with a (supplied?) tonemap (itā€™s been available in the preview track since March; yes I hopped on because of my sick craving for the majesty of color and it immediately broke every DX11 injector and Iā€™ve been waiting to get off the ride since). Iā€™ve been hoping just for a list of games, let alone a way to hack into it ā€“ but since Special K can add a user-modified tonemap to any game it can inject, I think that sucks the energy out of trying to get it through Microsoftā€™s implementation.

1 Like
3 Likes

What is the Sony Profeel of this shit HD flatscreen age?

Take a time machine to 2008 and get a Pioneer Kuro

3 Likes