ocarina of time clones

like the more similarities the better, z-targeting and auto-jumps are a must have

the only two that come to my mind are:
star fox adventures
ant bully

but i bet there’s more (?)

all the other zelda games. thread over

3 Likes

I think if you drop the auto jump requirement, the list gets bigger fast. Lock on targeting and game structure were much more pervasive than the clever jumping mechanics.

Like Beyond Good and Evil has manual jumping, IIRC, but everything else about it is pretty straightforwardly smaller scale OOT with more stealth.

1 Like

Ocarina Of Time is a Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon clone.

11 Likes

Also true.

1 Like

aka “oot i did it again”

7 Likes

on the other side, Oceanhorn does auto-jumping but no lock on combat

Soul Reaver 1 and 2 and those games rule.

I actually really adore Soul Reaver (1; haven’t played sequels), and don’t really like OoT much.

I tend to think of it as the only competent 3D Castlevania game, more so than a Zelda clone.

1 Like

Resident Evil 4 is easily my favorite OoT clone.

2 Likes

Everyone said Darksiders 1 was a Zelda clone.

Ocarina of [Tim Clones]

I genuinely can’t think of any other games with auto jump AND z-targeting. Soul Reaver has a jump button, which is very important in combat. Darksiders has jump button.

Dark Souls feels like an auto jump that doesn’t work, since it feels so bad to jump in that game. But it’s not an auto jump.

Does Okami have auto jump? I never played it.

Nah, regular jump.

The plot gets dumb and confusing yet the prose is still good quality. Oddly enough Defiance turns from a Zelda/Castlevania clone to a DMC/Lament of Innocence clone.

1 Like

that actually makes me wonder what other zelda games have auto-jumps and z-targeting

majora of course
wind waker probably
twilight princess most likely
any of the ds games?
that about it?
(i haven’t really played a 3d zelda after oot exept botw)

i could’ve made an even shorter topic called mario 64 clones, because there are none. because sunshine has a fucking flutter jump, fuck that. though i guess the ground pound in 64 is also kind of bad. as is the ability to punch and kick. here’s a list of things that killed 3d platformers:

ground pounds
flutter jumps
double jumps
banjo kazooie
projectile weapons
attacks other than jumping on enemies
homing jumps (fuck 3d sonic)
but mostly banjo kazooie

2 Likes

does breath of the wild have a jump button i fucking forgot

i just watched dozens of 3d mascot platformer reviews on youtube where people spend half the runtime of their half hour videos either gushing or foaming about the fucking story

skipping towards one third or the middle of the vid is a pretty good rule of thumb to prevent brain damage imo

1 Like

Yep, it does. Apparently they did this because it was hard to make the auto-jump work with the rougher, rockier terrain.

1 Like

Mario 64 invented the ground pound, and most of your attacks are punches and kicks though.

:t_rex: