ocarina of time clones

I admit, I could be wrong about it inventing it, but it DEFINITELY has one, and it’s the earliest example of a 3d game with one I can think of.

Wario Land might have done it first?

when u are right ur right

super Mario land 3: wario land is i think the first ground pound, though it’s weird because you have to hold down. It like toggles wario to sit in the air, and if he’s sitting when he connects with the ground it’s a pound.

Yoshi’s Island was the first appearance of the ground pound you commit to by pressing down. So Mario learned it from Yoshi. Lore.

3 Likes

what about eating yellow shells in World

3 Likes

Ooh good pull, i completely forgot that they had that property

Yellow shells are one thing, but that’s a passive ability. More closely related is the Cape Dive Bomb Face First Nuclear Bomb that you can do in SMW. Just slam your face into the ground like a god damn nightmare human and murder half the stuff on screen.

But yeah, that requires explicit player input to do, so I think that’s the canonical first Mario Ground Pound even if it’s very weird and rare to actually do

5 Likes

And let’s not even get started on Super Mario Kart clones, because there’s only Mario Kart: Super Circuit.

And I don’t even know what went wrong. Mario Kart 64 went wrong maybe. Or at least kart racing’s further emphasis on weapons instead of actual racing went somewhere I didn’t want to be.

All modern kart racers are shitty racing games. I feel like it’s enough to look at the minimap of the course and compare it to Super. Those were kart racing tracks, with tight bends. Cornering demanding cornering skills. Or better yet drifting skills. Driving a modern kart racer feels like driving touring cars, or Daytona (not USA). Endlessly long bends. Drifting is almost an afterthought. You don’t need to drift to take corners, you drift on straights to build a turbo meter or whatever. It’s a travesty.

Like guard rails on rainbow road. And Sonic in a car. (The only Sonic racing game that makes sense is Sonic R. (Somewhat like the only 3D Sonic platformer that makes sense is Rodea the Sky Soldier. (And they’re both bold trainwrecks.)))

1 Like

idk sonic all-stars racing transformed is fun as hell

3 Likes

Sonic drives a car out of deference to his friends

11 Likes

Yes the canonical reason he drives a car is because he is intentionally putting himself on the same level as everyone else because on foot he could easily outrun all the cars, so it wouldn’t be fair.

It’s amazing.

3 Likes

There’s this neat thread on Sonic’s characterization in the IDW comics.

2 Likes

I have no clue about Sonic lore, but shouldn’t Tails and Knuckles be as fast as Sonic too?

But okay sports have rules, and Sonic competing against Mario in an Olympic sprint race is even weirder.

2 Likes

Canonically he’s The Fastest Thing Alive. Maybe he dials back to ensure they can keep up when they’re around?

1 Like

so batman never kills villains who endlessly terrorize gotham because of his self-imposed rules, and sonic never defeats robotnik because he’s just trying to let his boys have some fun, too?

THE POACHING EGG

sonic never defeats robotnik because they cant stay focused on anything that isn’t actively about to end the world for more than a second and cant plan ahead.

1 Like

sonic the adhd icon

2 Likes

Sonic the headcanon

1 Like

I thought someone had mentioned it already, but Fable is pretty explicitly a Zelda clone filtered through Ultima and Peter Molyneux being a tremendous weirdo.

2 Likes

Oh this is interesting, at least in Fable 2 there’s"auto jumping" which is really a prompt to jump only on certain spots, and it does have lock on. Somehow I never considered Fable to be a Zelda game. Fascinating.