non-series

so this one is a tough one to describe, but basically, games that aren’t officially part of the same series, but it’s plain to everyone capable of critical thought that they are.

the classic examples would be kid kool, psycho fox, and decap attack. (coincidentally, kid kool and decap attack are also both licensed games that got reskinned and delicensed in the west, though the two licenses were also both unrelated to each other). all three games share a lot of mechanics and quirks: heavily momentum-based movement, weird stretchy punches, those big bendy poles you can jump on, and so on.

another well-known one would be gunstar heroes, alien soldier, and gunstar super heroes. obviously, the gunstars are related, and there are a lot of similarities with alien soldier, but the thing that really links the three is the fixed/free shot, and the incremental improvment of the same:
in gunstar heroes, you pick one or the other, and you’re stuck with your choice for the entire run.
alien soldier improves on this by allowing you to change between the two at will, though this is its own action and requires the player to stop moving and shooting for a split second.
gunstar super heroes improves on it even more by having seperate fire buttons for fixed and free fire, as well as adding a third firing mode, in which the player can move around while continuously firing in one direction.

actually, due to the evolutionary nature of treasure’s game design, a lot of their games have some kind of mechanical or technical connection. like, the way the homing shots in dynamite headdy is very similar to the movement of the homing shots in the above games, for example. and the tiny toons gba game they made was essentially a shallow prototype for the excellent astro boy gba game they released a bit later

less well known to people who’ve never had to read me ramble on the topic are psychic force, psychic force 2012, and tv animation x: unmei no tatakai. unmei no tatakai isn’t just a reskin, or a game in the style of psychic force, it takes all of pf2012’s mechanics, some of its ui elements, and the basic concept in general* and again, it improves on, refines, and adds to them, just like you’d expect a sequel to.

*to be fair, though, the general concept and aesthetic of the psychic force games owes a lot to the original x/1999 manga on which the anime and game are based.

6 Likes

You forgot Final Fight’s Dogma (2013)

1 Like

all the games @alfred listed totally fit though, though i love a few of them, they’re all mostly just final fight plus that game’s particular gimmicks. they all even use the same health bars and fonts and screen layouts (except for the dnd games) !

1 Like

All dreamfactory games are basically a series, they all have similar animations and an obsession with dungeons

1 Like

i haven’t played much of sin and punishment! i should turn on my wii sometime and put more time into it. if only wii controllers were rechargable instead of using aas.

countering in some form is a really big thing is a few treasure games, too, and i think that starts in alien soldier

also yes, dreamfactory have spent a big portion of their career building upon tobal’s dungeon mode. (though i think they’ve also done a few licensed mma games along the way too. but if those mma games also have dungeon modes, then i am totally interested in that)

Soul Blazer :gotohell: Illusion of Gaia :gotohell: Terranigma :gotohell: (Debatable, Terrible) The Granstream Saga

You could probably consider Soul Blazer a “fork” of the original ActRaiser, as well, where Soul Blazer continued with some of the stuff found in ActRaiser while ActRaiser 2 eschewed it.

edit: :gotohell: >

4 Likes

the batman: arkham ____ games are the basis for shadow of mordor and mad max. arkham knight is probably the closest kin to the others.

is the warner brothers licensed action-adventure non-series a good name??

think that’s just AAA risk management/cowardice; there aren’t any shared resources or anything

What about games that are officially part of the same series, but it’s plain to everyone capable of critical thought that they aren’t?

Racing Destruction Set
Radical Psycho Machine Racing
Rock N’ Roll Racing

1 Like

Athena

athena_slime

Crystalis

crystalis_slime

Also, Narc, Smash TV, and Total Carnage.

6 Likes

all treasure games occur in the same universe imo

Castlevania > Demon’s Souls is a low hanging fruit by now because I am always saying it at all times. I’m not even sure I fully prescribe to it anymore but I gotta keep saying it because it feels cool

Those Crazy Castle games are both this and not this and exist in a bizarre state. Also I heard on Retro Pals (I think) that they were shameless ripoffs of PP Hammer and his Pneumatic Weapon, so there’s a link!

1 Like

metropolis street racer -> project gotham series

The Global A Entertainment RPGs on the DS and PSP, so:

the Dungeon Maker games
Master of the Monster Lair
My World My Way
Adventures to Go

They are all sort of different, but share the same themes of setting up an environment in a particular way as to generate the resources, money, or challenges you need. You’re either creating habitats for monsters (and then killing them) or modifying the environment to modify your own skills and attract monsters (and kill them), or you’re creating throwaway dungeons to finish quests and find specific monsters (and kill them).

It’s also an example of a budget-shared-universe, mostly due to asset re-use, although My World My Way is vaguely connected to Dungeon Maker via one character.

3 Likes

Landstalker -> Lady Stalker -> Dark Savior -> Steal Princess

6 Likes

The four genders

6 Likes

Donkey Kong 1/Jr/3 is the closest I can think of for this case.

I always mention this, but the Wonder Boy series is nuts in this regard. Some of the latter entries are consistent enough, but you go from Adventure Island to 8-bit action rpg to two different third entries, one a forced scrolling shooter the other an early metrovania.

5 Likes

Shaman King: Master of Spirits is the secret GBA Castlevania game.

Darkwing Duck is Mega Man with a duck who can duck.

2 Likes

Some ideas:
Wasteland -> Fallout
Demons’ Souls -> Dark Souls -> … -> Bloodborne?
Capcom D&D games -> Dragon’s Crown
Princess Maker -> Odin Sphere (not that familiar with Princess Maker so I could be wrong)
Radiant Silvergun -> Ikaruga
Ultima Underworld -> Arx Fatalis

1 Like