non-series

I think you mean “Princess Crown,” which is definitely the predecessor to Odin Sphere.

Medal of Honor Allied Assault > Call of Duty

3 Likes

Kirby Super Star > Smash Bros.

4 Likes

Ah, yes. Thanks!

Jet Slalom > Race the Sun

I can’t find a way to play Jet Slalom anymore, it seems completely dead, but here’s a video:

Just, uh, mute it.

Jet Slalom even has a night and day cycle, and later versions would include hand-made obstacles like very tight canyons.

1 Like

bringing princess maker back into things, how about those evangelion games where you raise asuka, shinji or rei?

Video Whizball must have inspired Videoball, right?

1 Like

Terminal Velocity and Fury3.

Friends I keep interpreting “>” as “greater than” and getting buttmad

7 Likes

fixed my post just for you

1 Like

the capcom pc engine game sonson ii is obviously a thematic sequel to sonson. but mechanically, it is a sequel to black tiger!

on a similar note, acclaim had a bunch of very mechanically-similar mega drive games all based on unrelated sci-fi action movies: stargate, demolition man, judge dredd (and maybe a couple of others i’ve forgotten about?)

3 Likes

Those all feel like they’re related to Data East’s Robocop; maybe because Robocop was successful and with a similar guns/R-rated source?

2 Likes

Update: according to a recent Kotaku video’s youtube comments, Tim says this isn’t the case.

Bemusing coincidence then.

1 Like

Captain Commando–>Battle Circuit
Pit-Fighter–>Guardians of the 'Hood
Thexder–>Gungriffon

2 Likes

how about

thexder :gotohell: alisia dragoon?

2 Likes

I so badly wanted to make Altered Beast–>Alisia Dragoon work that I missed the obvious.

1 Like

The original Dragon Warrior Monsters feels like a Dragon Warrior themed version of a Mystery Dungeon game, plus Pokemon. The main quest is to go into randomly generated dungeons and descend to the bottom in one go. It’s a war of attrition primarily, where you have to plan out how many resources you need going in (risking them in the process, as dying will make you drop all of your items), and balance exploration with progressing through the dungeon. You can bank items and money at home base to make sure you don’t lose them if you die. There are special floors that have challenges and/or rewards. It’s pretty great.

Izuna the Unemployed Ninja 1 and 2 are basically kind-of-bad versions of a Mystery Dungeon game as well. That one is pretty straightforward, nothing more to cover.

Dokapon on the GBA is also a mystery dungeon game plus Pokemon. It’s much closer to Mystery Dungeon in that your encounters are in the dungeon itself, and it shares the turn-based movement of a roguelike. However, when you encounter an enemy you go into an RPG styled battle…except it’s rock paper scissors??? Also you can catch the monsters, and also you can upgrade your weapons??? It’s a mess of a game, but honestly it’s the first “Mystery Dungeon” game I played. When I finally played Shiren, everything clicked. It was like hearing the Weird Al version of a song before you hear the original 10 years later.

(Not sure if these are in the spirit of the post, as they’re not exactly straightforward sequels, but this is probably the best place to post this anyway.)

3 Likes

Zombies ate my neighbors --> Ghoul Patrol [maybe technically an actual sequel] --> Herc’s Adventures

3 Likes

As a kid I always thought Grabbed by the Ghoulies was a Zombies Ate my Neighbors sequel :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Wreckless aka Double Steal and its Japanese-only sequel are pretty much spiritual successors to the Runabout aka Felony games, and that’s why I have to play them.

Also, let me tell you about tennis games. Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour on the SNES is a sequel to Great Courts on the Amiga, also made by Blue Byte and all.

I really like the Japanese cover too:

Grand Slam aka Jennifer Capriati Tennis on the Mega Drive / Genesis is basically a Family Tennis / Final Match Tennis spinoff. As is Boku no Tennis Jinsei aka My Tennis Life on Dreamcast, which was developed by Bimboosoft, who also did the amazing Dream Match Tennis on PC, a much more involved simulation style tennis game in the vein of Great Courts. The curious thing is that Dream Match Tennis plays exactly like an older obscure Japanese exclusive title named World Pro Tennis ‘98, which happens to be my favorite PS1 tennis game.

6 Likes