No Space for All These Memories (Hydlide 3)

Oh shit, booji is going to actually post something.

Every Monday for the past month plus, we’ve been gathering over on the Hinge Problems Discord as Rudie makes me play the Megadrive games that nobody really talks about (ask me or @Rudie if you want an invite). The thing with the Megadrive is that there is a core library that everyone knows, even if like me, you didn’t have one as a kid. You got your Sonics, your Streets of Rage, probably at least one of the Phantasy Stars, etc. But aside from STG nerds, who talks about Gaiares? And who the hell would talk about the Traveler’s Tales awful piece of garbage Puggsy? Nobody, never talk about Puggsy (do not, in any way, take this as an endorsement or even a suggestion that you should even open the Puggsy ROM; you’ve been warned).

Official Hinge Problems Message
Friends don’t let friends play Puggsy.

So of course, I thirst for more. At the same time, I’ve kept a minor eye on the EGGConsole Switch releases for any of them that might be playable. I noticed that Hydlide 3 The Space Memories was, somehow, in English. So I wanted to grab it at some point. Due largely to the aforementioned Monday Megadrive Club, I noticed that Super Hydlide was in the Megadrive library and wouldn’t you know that is just a port of Hydlide 3, so I started it up.

If you know the name Hydlide, you probably know it sucks. This is a well established Internet opinion, due largely to shit like the AVGN clowning on the NES port of the first Hydlide, a bump combat game that was hugely influential on a lot of later games (Ys, Zelda) but was also from 1984 and not released in the US until 1989, after many of the games in inspired that iterated on its systems. Super Hydlide was brought to the US the less than a year later, so that had to seem like quite the jump. Chronologically, Hydlide 3 The Space Memories was originally released in 1987 for the MSX and PC-88 (this is the version on the EGGConsole), and is definitely a big evolution over the first game.

Sidenote: How to Play Hydlide in 2024

Getting access to Hydlide is easy (the first one has an English NES game, Super Hydlide is a Megadrive game with an English release) and hard (the second one was an untranslated PC-88 game until like 2006, when a Dutch team released a localization, though I haven’t dug that up on the internet yet). Here’s a quick overview of how you can play these:

• Hydlide: Fully translated NES version. There is an EGGConsole release of the PC-88 version on Switch, but the game itself is all in Japanese, so that might be a problem. Or not. I haven’t played much Hydlide, honestly.
  • Hydlide 2: For English speakers, there is a Dutch-translated out there on the internet, somewhere. Getting it working is kinda a pain, because if you don’t have the MSX emulator perfectly configured, it won’t save your character when you create it, which means you can’t start the game. If you can read Japanese, the EGGConsole version of the PC-88 version is on the US eShop.
  • Hydlide 3 The Space Memories: Available as the Megadrive game Super Hydlide in any of the convenient places you’d find those, but also fully in (some kind of) English in its original PC-88 form on the Switch eShop.
  • Virtual Hydlide: The Saturn remake of the first game in a golf engine. Available wherever you find Saturn games, in English.

tl;dr version: Hydlide 3 The Space Memories fucking rules.

Which version you should play? Super Hydlide has an amazing Megadrive soundtrack, improved graphics, and a smoother EXP progression curve. Also some rearranged locations that make the game a bit easier, and a bank that actually works. Hydlide 3 The Space Memories has a pretty good soundtrack of its own, a lot of early PC game charm, some incredible difficulty spikes, and maybe the funniest translation possible. So in the end, you can ask yourself how much of a sicko you are. I’m just playing both.

The basic plot of the game are that you are out on a quest to save the world for some reason. I didn’t look into it much, because it doesn’t matter. Pretty quickly, some people in the first town tell you about a tower up north and how there might be a village there, so that’s the next place to go. This game is full of “here’s the next place to go” style questing, but it’s OK because those places are so regularly just batshit nuts. For instance, that tower is a 200 story tall skyscraper, and on floor 198, you can walk out on the clouds to find a whole village just chilling there.

The most important stat for your character turns out to be weight, which limits how much stuff you can carry, though it goes up with level. Your load capacity is also related to your class, with the Thief having the highest, the Cleric the lowest. Everything has a weight. Money has weight. You need to eat twice a day and food has weight. You will spend a lot of time trying to maximize your armor/weapon loadout for whatever your limit is. The weight of food makes leaving town every in-game day feel like going on a journey. There is a day/night cycle, and your little character gets sleepy (which means they lose strength, plus nighttime enemies hit harder, so you will be crashing at the inn, getting up, and leaving town each day (sleeping is also how you save). It turns into a pleasant ritual, and a nice way to divide up cycles in the game in a way that feels proto-portable game design.

Sidenote: Classes

Sidenote: Classes

Hydlide 3 has four base classes, each with their own perks and development that will significantly impact how the game goes for you.

• Warrior: Just about average in everything. Can get the first six spells, and even has enough MP to use them by the end of the game.
  • Thief: Has a ridiculously high HP and Weight stat, but starts with a really low (as in none) MF, meaning that early on, things are gonna cost a ton in the stores. Can learn the first six spells, but barely ever gets any MP growth, so
  • Cleric: Can get all the spells, has a high starting MF, but low strength/weight.
  • Monk: Can get all the spells, and has slightly above average other stats EXCEPT HP, which is non-existent.

Basically, your first run through the game is intended to be the Warrior, who is just sorta the stock character and the game seems mostly balanced around. The next run through is anyone’s call though. I’ve messed around with the Thief (ability to carry more stuff quickly outpaces the amount of money you have to buy said stuff) and the Monk (the glass cannon effect is very real).

The Plot

This game has a plot! You wouldn’t guess it from the start of the game, though. The general gist at the beginning “hey there is bad stuff out there in Fairyland, so take care of it”. After you explore the tower that the first townspeople hype up for you, and find the village in the sky, you get dropped down into a castle in the middle of a lake that you couldn’t get to before, whose king loves novelties (which is the only hint that you will get that you should bring him a dragon’s tooth from a cave that is hidden in a warehouse in the underground town that you can only get in by knowing the secret invisible wall or waiting until 8PM when the guard leaves). That’s one area where Super Hydlide is easier because someone actually tells you shit about the king wanting a dragon’s tooth.

BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE:
(keep in mind I have only gotten this far in the PC-88 version, and its translation is…spotty)There are some beings who built a castle under the lake that the dragon loving king gives you a device to summon. When you go in that castle, it is full of robots, and space suits, and a SPACE COMPASS. If you grab that space suit, you can jump down the hole in the middle of the map, which someone has told you goes to outer space.

Or in the PC-88 version: “My friend, dead of fall into crack, Told me that ge could ‘See a space’ at the bed of his death, have a dream.” How could I not love this translation?

SO for some reason or other, the beings went to outer space to get away from something bad in Fairyland (I get the feeling this is supposed to be a reference to Hydlide but it ain’t like I would know). When you get to their spaceship in space using the SPACE COMPASS, you eventually find out they made a goddamn hidden alternate dimension in Fairyland, and hid there. Maybe. PC-88 version. And if you go there, you find out that in the starting town, there is a FORBIDDEN CAVE that you need to go to and fight THE BIG BAD

Forbidden Cave

The Forbidden Cave is some bullshit. Much like the first cave in the game, you are going to need a lamp and some Super Oil here. You are also going to need some Holy Water to get access to it, which there is only one guy in the hidden city that tells you will break seals, and you might not realize there is a sealed entrance in your starting town. But it is there. Of course all of these items, including the lamp, take up more weight from your limited space, but you should be used to that by now. Depending on what class you are, that couple thousand grams can be a big deal though.

You also are going to want to get that Moral Fiber rating way up. In the PC-88 version, you must get this up. In the other versions, it’s not necessary, technically, but it will make your life much easier. Like all the way up to 100, which if you are playing the game like a normal person, it just isn’t there yet. Sometimes a good-aligned slime gets in your way and you just off it, and the penalty for killing a good monster is way more than the bonus you get for killing bad ones. The good news is that there are a lot of bad monsters in the Lost Palace and Outer Space if you feel like grinding those for EXP and MF, or you can just grind the MF from the slimes and plants in the field.

The MF rating is important because you need to find 10 (in the PC-88 version, 5 everywhere else) secret hidden spots to get blessed with the holy light, which will prevent the boss of the dungeon, who is the big bad from Hydlide, from regenerating his heath. In most version, this is optional, and you can technically beat the boss without doing it, but in the PC-88 version, You can’t even get in the room without getting all 10. The PC-88 version also has a full extra floor of the cave, so be ready for that bullshit. Also you can’t even progress without finding some hidden walls.

It’s great bullshit. I am currently stuck here, trying to get my will up to make a full run at it. It’s a lot.

So yeah, play Hydlide 3 The Space Memories or Super Hydlide. DO IT.

15 Likes

The same dude at the game store who was opining about demons to diamonds the other week was giving me shit about buying the Famicom Hydlide 3, but said he loved Ys 1 and 2 when I mentioned the influence.

5 Likes

You cannot forget about Hydlide 3’s most important aspect: these penguins that wear headphones.

There is also a patch to alleviate some of the grinding, if you are interested.

For anyone curious about Hydlide 1, a game that is much better than the internet gives it credit for, the game contains barely any text beyond the UI or the menu, which are all in English. Hideo Kojima listed it as an influence when making Metal Gear Solid V. Also I wrote a whole article about the game four years ago that you should probably check out, if only because I managed to include a special piece of tie-in merchandise that is next to impossible to find online.

12 Likes

They aren’t in the PC88 version! Sadly.

2 Likes

Also if you think the Megadrive grind is bad, the PC88 one is even worse, lol.

1 Like

To be more on-topic, Hydlide 3 is a really cool RPG that is admittedly not the most user-friendly, especially in the beginning where you have no idea where to go or which enemies give you karma (it is always the ones that attack you first). It’s one of those games you have to stick with in order to really “get it.” But once you get it, you’ll have a great time. There’s a plot that is surprisingly deep and philosophical, even when compared to other games of the era (this came out the same year as Mother and Phantasy Star II, and a year after games like XZR and Wasteland). The things that are considered “tedious,” like carry weight, morality, day/night cycles, eating, are all things that appear in modern RPGs, so I don’t know why Hydlide keeps getting shit for it while fucking Skyrim gets a pass!!

Plus, the whole taking a short trip to space aspect finally incorporates the entire Ultima influence.

It has sweet music:

It’s maybe not as much of a looker compared to what else was hitting the Mega Drive in '89. But if you’re like me and love old Japanese computer graphics, now with more color and better scrolling, that will not matter in the least.

Game owns.

13 Likes

3DHydelide_ss00s
3DHydelide_ss21s
3DHydelide_ss40s

link

ps i really liked puggsy when i was a kid

6 Likes

I feel like this is the only way someone could like Puggsy, so I get it.

2 Likes

Here’s another post about

The Differences between the Versions

Hydlide3 Don't Die

Here are the major differences I have found between the PC-88 and the Megadrive versions (aside from obvious stuff like aesthetic improvements).

Hydlide3 Dead of Fall into Crack

The Bank

This one is great, but only if you play the Megadrive version first. There is a bank in the first town (the location is different, but it is there in both). When you go in at first, the bank is closed. Now, since money has weight, this is kinda a big deal, because it would be good to store things. Also, the bank pays interest (well…) of 1 gold per day per 1000 gold in your account. It’s not a ton, but it’s cool that it is a feature.

In the MD version, in the second town you get to, the one hidden under a tombstone in the cemetery (hell yeah), there is another bank that is open, and they give you a bank book, so now you can bank at the first town as well. This is nice, and a good little bonus for finding the town.

BTW: to find the town, you have to have an intelligence stat high enough to be able to read. I love this game.

So the PC-88 version also has a bank, except I have never been able to find a way to get it to actually open. It’s just always closed. And if you try to go to the second bank’s location in the MD game, it is now a Hostess club called Number13 that if you enter, you are forced to hang with one of the girls as she gets drunk and pissed at you for not buying more.
Hydlide3 You Are Good Boy
Hydlide3 Eat Chips and Butter Corn
Hydlide3 You Cant Want To Drink
Hydlide3 I Have a Good Time

And then the owner of Number13 takes 20,000 bucks from you. If you don’t have it, he kicks your ass and takes whatever you do have.

“Goddam never!!”

The Laser Sword/Light Saber

The most powerful sword in the game, and it’s hidden hilariously in both versions.

In the PC-88 version of the game, there are actually 200 stories to the Tower of Havel. You can in fact walk through all of them (but the elevator exists to let you skip most of them if you want). To get the Laser Sword, you just have to go to floor 113, get off the elevator, get back on the elevator but tell it you don’t want to go anywhere, then inspect the floor in the elevator shaft. It’s just sitting there. As near as I can tell, nothing in the game ever tells you about this at all.

In the Megadrive version, you have to inspect the gravestones in the cemetery until one of them gives you a Silver Sword, which ways a whopping 10,000 grams, which is probably way more than you can carry at the time. Then you have to carry it all the way up to the Sky Palace, where if you look in one specific spot, there is now a Laser Sword.

I love this bullshit so much.

Oh Shit an EXTRA BOSS

In any version of the game, you need the Cloud Stone. It is what allows you to fall off the Sky Village and land in the castle that is otherwise cut off from Fairyland. In the PC-88 version, you get the Cloud Stone by investigating floor 176 of the tower enough. Someone actually gives you this hint, so it’s not as bullshit as the Laser Sword, but it’s still kinda bullshit.

In the Megadrive game, there is a whole extra boss on top of the Tower that you have to fight and beat to get the Cloud Stone. He’s not hard or anything, but it’s cool that they added him in.

Also the Cloud Stone in the PC-88 version only works when you just through the hole in the Sky Castle. Anywhere else, you are just going to die. Thankfully, you can just fall off the Sky Village wherever in the MD version.

Magic

Man, playing as a magic based character would be ROUGH in the PC-88 version. In the Megadrive version, the person who teaches you the spells that everyone can learn is just chilling in the starting town. In the PC-88 version, you can only learn spells from the second teacher, in Sky Village, which means you are going to need to get by without some real basic spells for a long time. Like healing. Or being able to warp back to town. It’s a lot!

The Grind

The PC-88 version is for pure sickos. Enemies give you half as much XP, and levels require sometimes twice as much XP. It’s real grind hours.

There are probably more differences, but those are what i got for now.

5 Likes

Oh hey I beat the PC88 Hydlide 1 today and that game was a lot of fun, though the music is somehow worse than the NES. Like way worse. So bad they just let you turn it off whenever you want with one button.

Also there is no magic in the 88 version, so whoops.

Game rules though, yeah.

1 Like

Yeah it’s one of -these- games like Drakkhen and Brandish… That I discovered via emulation and was initially repulsed by (« worst game ever » « kusoge » etc) but kept coming back to and ended up loving. Super Hydlide rules

As a former Super Hydlide hater I get it : these things were mostly flavour in Skyrim while they heavily punish the player in Super Hydlide. Also the previous games in the series are very simple bump slashers while this one seemingly inexplicably went hard on the sim elements

2 Likes

Super Hydlide has been in my backlog for years, so I should play it. It is exactly my type of game. I also have the famicom version and I may have even bought he Project Egg one on switch.

In a similar vein I need to play Sorcerian. I have a boxed pc copy as well as the mega drive version and – once again – the Project Egg release.

I need to play all these games I’ve been hoarding!

3 Likes

I want to play Sorcerian, but the EGG version is apparently not doable for a non-Japanese speaker, so I’m going to have to track down a different way to play it.

2 Likes

I haven’t played it extensively but I recommend the DOS version, which you can play in dosbox.

2 Likes

Whelp, guess who bought a Genesis and found a copy of this game? This guy.

7 Likes