Nier 2

This game is pretty generic so far.

tbf, so was Nier.

The big moment for me in original Nier wasnā€™t until starting the B ending cycle when you can start hearing the voices of the bosses as a player. Probably the strongest moment a game ever made me feel like a monster.

Before that the only stand out moments were the rules dungeon and the not RE mansion.

and the soundtrack, of course.

2 Likes

Kenichirou Yoshimura of Metal Gear: Rising fame drew this to celebrate the Japanese release.

3 Likes

Well this game starts hammering the stop the killing message way earlier than most taro games.

Now Iā€™m worried thereā€™s gonna be a huge delay for the PC releaseā€¦ apparently itā€™s not coming out on the 10th?

Now on the second loop. Hmm.

Rudie, wouldnā€™t mind fuller impressionsā€¦

It is sloppy platinum as opposed to tight platinum. If I set the difficulty to Hard i die jn two hits and that is mostly because the canera does not position itself well for me to see the battlefield.

The characters are sort of generic. A character shows up from Nier very briefly and you realize no it is just these characters that are boring.

The music is not as amazing as the stuff in Nier.

The game world is too big. You unlock fast travel but that does not carry between playthroughs.

Ending G is hilarious. It is mostly a result of the level designer not doing a great job of telling the player where to go and where not too.

I just saw something in a second time cutscene that I am really confused by.

The game has yet to show me the Nier I remember. It is definitely better than all the Drakengard games. As is it is a fine way to pass the time.

The game also does a terrible job of conveying when you will be locked in a 45 minute sequence. You have to play it like Yakuza. Do all the side shit (right after you unlock fast travel bc you are actually at the end of the game.)

If you ignored the side shit for ending A you can reach it in maybe 5 hours probably less.

All that said 2Bā€™s run cycle is really really satisfying.

1 Like

Even before the demo I wasnā€™t expecting Platinumā€™s usual constant white knuckle action and would be a more softer affair to match with the adventure RPG like structure(whatever we call 3D zelda likes). My main desire for having Platinum involved was a polished game feel and a more complete combat loop which I feel from what Iā€™ve seen and what I experience with the demo itā€™s about in line with my expectations.

yeah, Iā€™d already gotten the impression from the demo that automata might be a little too comfortable with the trappings of its production and therefore turn out like a more run-of-the-mill action RPG with not-great level design and maybe a little too much asset reuse in the bigger areas, but Iā€™d be bummed if it was that and not anywhere near the first in terms of its music or storytelling

It still looks a step above run-of the-mill to me with more distinct visuals and not being a permutation of Dark Souls or AAA combat. I canā€™t remember a big world(dunno if open world is apt but whatever you call stuff like zelda that has large overworlds containing all the game bits) game where I felt the combat was completely there. My mind is bringing up stuff like Witcher 3 and Darksiders 2 to mind as some of the better examples but W3 still felt a little AAA style and DS2 while an A for effort muddied it up with diablo drops, skill trees and puzzle powers that had little use out side of dungeon puzzles.

Iā€™m just chomping at the bit here and just want to get my hands on it. I just hope that march 10 date for steam is real or I just might get it digital on ps4 and double dip on the steam version.

Huh they really recorded at least two sets of dialog for every side-quest.

I donā€™t think the music in og nier will ever be surpassed tbh (itā€™s a once-in-a-lifetime work), so maybe i wonā€™t be disappointed.

but as taro yoko himself said about the game, we shouldnā€™t expect much.

1 Like

also yeah i tried playing the demo on hard after breezing through it on normal, and it didnā€™t hold up too well. i also might suck at video games though. the escalations were more frustrating than fun.

1 Like

going into this - not having played the game, or watching any trailer(s) since the teaser trailer ā€¦ā€¦ idk, a lot of months, maybe half a year? - so, accordingly, only skimming replies here, always quick to skip over a post as soon as it looks like it could give away something, Iā€™ll come back to this topic later on.

However, something I noticed (and please correct me if Iā€™m wrong here) when reading between the lines has been that so far, most(?) of you went into this from a Nier-centric angle, like ā€œThis is Nier 2, from Platinum Gamesā€.

Now, I am trying to approach this from an ā€œThis is Nier 2, from Platinum Gamesā€ angle.

Like, i am expecting anything but a Nier game. Or at least i try to, as hard as I can. I want to go into this expecting a new Platinum game, nothing more than that (and for the record, the last Iā€™ve properly played has been VANQUISH (wait, technically speaking, replaying Bayonetta 1, and MG-Raiden x Platinum demo, and transformers for a short bit, because it was freeā„¢)).
I want to think of this as a ā€œBayonetta x VANQUISH x this gameā€ point of view, but it remains to be seen if I can keep that up, and for how long.

However - Platinum for me has never been about ā€œdoing part 2ā€ - well, until theyā€™ve done Bayonetta 2, dā€™uh. A lack of a wiiu (and some ignorance on my side to hunt for isos/emulating), I can turn a blind eye to that, so Iā€™m kinda aware of expecting that Nier2 will not be a Nier++. It will be very interesting to see how my expectations will fare when finally playing this for the first time, and if some Taroā€™ness will crush my hopes of approaching this from a (kinda?) neutral p-o-v.

And, yeah, before I forget it - Iā€™m still on the fence which version to get, because I am no fan of DLC-special-hyper-limited editions. If I can grab them in the store, for the same price as the cheapo-edition, OK, maybe you can tempt me to buy (FFXV steelbox e.g.), but plunging down cash beforehand is a no-go. So I try to stay strong and get the cheap(est) version, letā€™s see how that pans out ā€¦ā€¦

tl;dr:
want to play this, now ~~~~

Iā€™m curious to check it out and the whole idea of a Nier sequel is kinda weird to being with. ā€œWhere do we go from here?ā€

1 Like

Update have played for 30 hours just want to keep playing. Is not weird enough yet. All the side stuff is a little too quest gated than I like. Only seen Ending A.

If I sign in on a computer I will spoiler tag how to get some of the endings.

There are still two things that have happened that are 100% what the hell???

1 Like

ā€œThe dude that designed those wasnā€™t even a mecha designer,ā€ says Yoko. He continues, jovially: ā€œHeā€™s actually a UI designer. But he just loves mechs, so we let him sit down and do it. He worked so hard he made himself illā€”but he had the biggest grin on his face the entire time.ā€ He playfully adds that the designer ā€œbeggedā€ to work on the model, clearly eager to make the sleek, transforming robot we were introduced to in the late-2016 demo.

I guess Iā€™m interested in this game now?

2 Likes