Nier 2

I need to play it longer, I’ve only played a friend’s copy briefly and need to dig into its combat systems. My perception of the reception has been that it’s over-complex, over-finicky. Not dissimilar to Platinum’s Star Fox.

no, it’s definitely that

the Wii U library was way, way better than the Wii’s, even so. even with how many of the late releases (paper mario, star fox, xenoblade, kirby) were a big ol’ puzzled “nevermind”

In happier news, we can still ride a boar as well as a moose. I hope they can drift like the other boar.

These screen shots are really scratching that urban exploration itch. I really cant wait to feel depressed over my in game actions again.

2 Likes
2 Likes

you’ve summed up my feelings on the game so far, and i suspect it’s the case. the original nier was a japanese game about a man past the age of 30 caring for his daughter. it’s amazing that game even got made. now we have an android girl with absolute territory.

the first game also was pretty bland in terms of setting, so i don’t know sparse worlds are a yoko taro signature or something?

at least it’s gonna play pretty damn well, and you can suicide by uninstalling your OS. i’m in.

(EDIT: it’s weird how i just found this thread even though it’s a month old? i still don’t have the hang of discord.)

http://pur.store.sony.jp/ps4/products/ps4_ss_original/CUH-2000AB_NA_purchase/

1 Like

it’s still wild that they have made a sequel to nier

5 Likes

Between Nier 2 and RE7 and Yakuza Zero it’s like, wait, are Japanese games good again?

MJGGA

3 Likes

Watched a playthrough of Resi 7 over the weekend, didn’t seem especially good but it did make me remember those Condemned games existed

The funny thing with this one is that it is just another iteration on the Yakuza series, and is really only marginally different from the previous games, in the iterative sense that each version slightly improves. As someone who has been playing this series for a long time though, I am heartened to see it get a lot of attention, and I hope this keeps up with the release of Kiwami and 6 later this year, early next year.

The only real problem right now for someone looking to play the whole series is that 2 is largely inaccessible in the US, as the only version released was the ps2 original and it goes for a decent amount of cash right now. All the others, especially with the release of Kiwami (which is just part 1 HD), are pretty easily accessible, though sometimes in somewhat tarnished form (see the edits to 3).

bring back the dub from 1

2 Likes

Man, if that is a bonus feature in Kiwami, I will get SOOOOO HYYYYYPE.

It will not be there, sadly. We will never get Mark Hamill as Goro Majima ever again. We were not worthy.

the dub in yakuza 1 gave me ar eally endearing connection with the game that wasn’t really present since, and I feel like if it had been in 0 it would’ve brought that connection back

1 Like

dubs are just where it’s at, especially when THAT much dialogue is thrown at you. It’s hard to feel what they are saying when it’s subtitles.
With Yakuza I think that fits, it’s less about following the story and more staying invested.

can we just take a moment to contemplate yakuza 6’s kitano cameo

1 Like

0 is on the one hand just another yakuza game BUT the general flow of combat and random battles in those games only fairly recently reached a point where it basically holds up over time, plus it has the period piece thing going for it and doesn’t require you to know anything about the other games beforehand, which makes it substantially easier to recommend.

Eh, I would say the combat has been about the same since 3 (with the except of Of the End, which is just its own thing entirely, but still has largely the structure of a Yakuza game, but then not), which is where they first stopped having combat go to a separate screen and be a random battle encounter, which was a marked improvement. Otherwise, it’s been the same “build heat, bust out a finisher” fighting for a long time, and that is just fine with me. Even that in-fight string is largely the same from the first game, but with a few added moves. The weapon system was also really developed in 3, and continues to be completely not necessary at all, which is probably one of the more endearing features of the series (in-depth subsystems that are never really required for the game).

I would actually say knowing the previous games helps a lot with 0, as so many of the characters in it, even minor bit ones (the pants stealing kid, for example) are major features of later parts of the franchise (he is the main villain in 2). Nishikiyama’s whole story with Kiryu takes on some added depth knowing the different trajectories their lives go after this game, and all the stuff about the orphanage where they grew up takes on some added weight when you know that Kiryu himself ends up doing the same thing in 3. Shit like that makes the game more compelling for me, but I think it does a decent job of being enjoyable without it. Then again, every game in the series after the first has had a convenient recap function to remind you who everyone was, and were all pretty well self contained aside from callback characters, which 0 still has a ton of.

The era is a big selling factor, I think, though honestly it seemed less and less relevant as the game went on. I would say that more important is the limited focus of the plot as a whole, being contained in the areas as opposed to about SOMETHING BIGGER. I mean, the plot of 3 eventually involved the CIA, so things kinda ballooned there a bit (note, I haven’t finished 4, of the end, or 5). The plot in 0, centering on Kamurocho and the empty lot, is comparatively scaled down and restrained.

From the Sega-owned arcade in Kabukicho (the district that just is Kamurocho):
Google Photos
Yes, we can.

Also, I now own Dojima and Majima Clan lapel pins because FUCK YEAH.

1 Like

Yeah that nationalist misogynist conspiracy theory piece of shif!