Nier 2

Cool. Thx.

Stuff on the lp archive that isn’t marked humorous is usually alright. The only drakengard lp they had up last time I checked was a Humorous Text LP by some guy that didn’t like clock tower 3 so really just want an alternative to that

the lp archive is a really good resource for annotated-screenshot LPs still, I just find every single video unwatchable

finished loop c, but still feels like there’s a lot to do, and a lot of unanswered questions.

guess i’ll start another loop tomorrow and see what happens?

1 Like

loop c made it too hard for me to continue afterward for now

it’s been a crazy long time since a game i played made me want to physically and emotionally take a break from it after playing it.

Start of the third loop is pretty hilarious.

Finally unlocked fast travel, so I guess I can spend some time getting some subquests done before going to the main plot again.

In case you’re curious where the point of no return for the first loop is, it’s when the plot sends you to check out the Flooded City. I mention this because I advanced past that point not realizing it was going to cancel a whole bunch of quests in progress that I had almost completed.

I think that’s what unlock fast travel, so I guess I’m late for some stuff. Will do what I can. This loop sure is short, I have just bought a +8 memory expansio9n and only upgraded one weapon to level 2.

Near as I can tell (only just started Loop C), all the loops are short (a few hours each if you ignore sub-quests). I only started spending more time in the world after I started messing with sub-quests, some of which are great, most of which are a bit too grind-y (though I greatly enjoy this game’s desert and forgive a lot of flaws for any opportunity the game takes to use it).

I stand by my earlier statement though: this game is weird. In a good way.

Well, none of the quests I have are cancelled so I can complete a few ones (the ones that sound interesting) before continuing with the main plot. Probably also exploring a little bit more the desert, didn’t touch that area a lot.

Yeah, without subquests, Loop 1 is only about five to six hours.

Gor"big nier fan"blax back to say I just got Ending E

There’s not much for me to say but that this was 100% as incredible as the first game

8 Likes

the first game didnt take like 20 hours to start tho

Yes it did. You had to get to new game plus to get anything interesting happening at all and by that point you just could youtube the rest of the endings and not miss anything aside from some over the top anime writing

1 Like

I just played Nier 1 in the last week after having dropped it twice in the past 5 years

It is definitely way too long before the ending (which I reached last night); I had 14 hours at that point and had seen every tiny ‘dungeon’ a dozen times over.

Obviously the intent is that the player won’t do sidequests that return to just-visited levels first time through, but, uh, that’s completely not messaged…

1 Like

nier was pretty compelling right away though? at the very latest i’d say the game gets interesting at the halfway point.

it’s not as interesting as the NG+ stuff, but it’s a lot more interesting than two boring robots mysteriously forming a bond over the course of like 10 hours and 2 sephiroths twice.

NG+ in nier is also like, doing the last four short areas again with added cutscenes that are pretty immediately interesting & that change the playthrough in an interesting way. Loop B in this game is I’m a guy with half the combat options and the ability to turn everything into a braindead twinstick shooter and at least so far it’s Nothing New, and the cutscenes so far haven’t made anything more interesting. It’s just “Wow where are we GOIN with this”. Which would be great, if any element of this world was at all compelling.

I’m going to finish loop C or at least watch a video of it, but I’m doing so purely on a combination of love for the first game & some swedish fucker telling me to.

Strongly disagree, unless you mean “Nier had a compelling soundtrack right away”

I know I’m probably an outlier on SB because I thought the only good part of Nier was that soundtrack but seriously the writing on that first game is like an idiot’s idea of deep emotional writing. It’s selectbutton’s bioshock.

5 Likes

I mean 2’s soundtrack is boring too so idk?

I find “save your daughter” a lot more compelling than “Machines are bad” though.

And yeah Yoko Taro is kind of just babby’s first existentialism but the first game presented something that was unexpected enough coming from a video game that I enjoyed it. At the very worst it was like Decent Sci-Fi.