Nier 2

the chiptune mixes in hacking made it always tolerable for me

2 Likes

yeah if you’re underleveled or playing on hard, hacking is actually a lot tighter spreadsheet-wise

1 Like

there are some enemies you can’t even kill without hacking right

I assume the weird nigh-invincible little guys that hang out with some of the giants in the ruined city must be Hacking Only, unless that’s a weird hard mode thing where otherwise you just can’t do shit to them.

yea I like that when you first encounter them you can’t do anything to them so when you see them again you go aha!

1 Like

what’s the money situation in this game btw?

should i save up for anything or am i good to just buy a million healing items constantly

there are some side quests that take a ton of money but you get a shitload from machine cores throughout the game so you should be good

any item that says it can be sold for money is safe to sell except desert roses which you need for a couple side quests.

also sell and buy prices both go up in route C so only sell when you need the money until then

I never had money trouble so feel free to buy up healing items

whoops

Chips that have a diamond after their name are the lowest possible slot cost for that chip and rank. Only fuse diamonds with other diamonds.

Being level 99 with +100% weapon atk and +100% ranged atk and the two maxed-out beast weapons is hilarious.

3 Likes

oh my goodness

in the spirit of all great Japanese games, what I imagined to be the last scene went on for a solid hour longer than expected, and it probably didn’t need to

but that was all really something. seriously, no question, the best thing to come out of square in a decade.

3 Likes

you really don’t see budgets like that applied with such a playful attitude very often

You can also fuse diamonds with non-diamonds that cost only 1 slot more, and the result will still be a diamond. Everything that’s not one of those 2 I just sell, since price is set by level (+1, +2, etc) rather than storage slot reqs.

2 Likes

Yeah, do not worry about money at all. By the end of loop B, I was regularly running around with like 40 healing items and at least 100K in the bank account.

This is a minor spoiler, but really, do not worry about finishing all the sidequests before finishing loop C.

oh shit this is super useful, thanks.

Game froze on me in the middle of the final fight. Is this one of the joke endings? I think not :confounded:

1 Like

the best part is when you start playing the game before it’s fully downloaded and you have to replay the intro cuz it won’t let you save till the whole thing is done??

2 Likes

the art direction in this is so consistently interesting and I think that’s largely down to “powerful enough console to do whatever weird geometry and camera angles the dev team wants as long as they have the budget and time to write their own engine.”

it strikes me how little that happens

1 Like

yeah, i think we’ve reached peak game graphics. just look at those AAA devs crunching for 5 years so we can have painstakingly realistic facial animations, fancy shaders and foliage, and fabric tech (only to have people still rip apart their games). we can basically do whatever we want. do anymore and you’re starting to step into endless project or cinema VFX territory.

nier proves good artistry wins. it does exactly what it needs to. this is way more impressive to me than latest watchdoug or horizon coke zero™ with all their tech. those games are full of visual noise, and i’m a little fatigued by it, but look at a frame from nier and the whole thing is very controlled. originally i wanted to call the art-direction in this sparse and dull but it’s really quite clever.

5 Likes

imo there are definitely parts of this game that are very willing to be quite dull indeed – if you spend half a dozen hours running around between the same three desaturated areas doing sidequests on your first playthrough, I could see becoming very exasperated by it, and that’s certainly there for a not-small number of players to experience, as with dying in the first mission.

1 Like

Are the sidequests necessary to get the “best” ending?