Nier 2

You can watch an LP and get largely the same experience. The combat in Nier 1 is janky as hell and grindy. The writing and general weirdness of it is great though. Feels like a game universe trying to escape game universes and I’d say it half-succeeds.

maybe reset your controls, I haven’t had any of those issues!

except the deliberate ones!

I mean I’ve kind of gotten used to using my current setup. I can switch back to the default I guess to see if it fixes the hacking minigame at least.

Add me to those never knowing that hacking has a lock-on! At this point I think it’d throw me off.

Archives/unit data/tons more can be read and viewed under “Intel” in the main/start menu.

Be sure to read up on the fish you catch. Lot of world/ecology info in their entries.

3 Likes

Drakengard is the most over the top hopeless and grimdark thing I have ever seen.
As a videogame it is a disaster, but it is so dedicated to its theme and atmosphere it is remarkable in its own way. I couldn’t put it down in the weekend I played it. It’s fairly similar to Illbleed about this.
Here is some of its music.

It’s all like this except it becomes more dissonant later.

Drakengard 2 sounds similar but is way more of a standard JRPG. The main character is Tidus from FFX. Everybody hates this game. Some say we were all trolled. I don’t know.

Drakengard 3 I haven’t played. As I understand it you’re on a mission to kill your sisters and there’s more sex innuendo. It seemed more Bad Anime than the others.

I skipped it and remember having the impression that without Yoko Taro’s involvement most of Drakengard 2 was forgettable but it was more playable and worth it if you liked Cavia’s other stuff.

Drakengard 3 is a very good game I don’t care, see my write-up on the subject if you want to know the specifics.

1 Like

it’s so Bad Anime that it is definitely interesting though, it just keeps pushing it further and further. it’s pretty brutal to actually play through but powerful and a good game i think.

1 Like

I can’t really recommend “playing” Drakengard 3 but it is definitely something to experience and I haven’t even finished the first loop.

apparently my tolerance for middling gameplay is very high when I’m enjoying other things about a game since I thought Nier 1 was pretty breezy and even fun to play

I should finally dive into the dod games I guess!

Man hack locking? Wtf??

2 Likes

I think it’s kind of funny none of us knew about hacking lock. I’m assuming this is because we saw twin stick trappings and immediately assumed the conventions of that genre. if you were less familiar with video games you’d probably immediately try locking on

2 Likes

I probably wouldn’t have figured it out either except for the fact that my game wasn’t functioning like a twin-stick shooter.

If you wanna catch yourself up
start here and watch this guys’ vids

1 Like

i’m loop b’ing but i’m starting to get a little burned out

but my desire to experience whatever loop c is kind of prods at me, but i don’t wanna rush it

then i look at my friends list and everyone is playing this game, which is real cool, but sort of makes me feel vidcon peer pressure to get back in there

aah

1 Like

I guarantee within minutes of starting loop C, your interest will be rekindled

2 Likes

I took a bit of a break but I’m slow rolling it again. I feel pressured because we’re like t-minus two weeks to persona, but how can I say no to a game filled with suicide robots

yah but also taking a break in the middle of B is a good call, the game really moves extremely quickly when you aren’t in a rut with it

the main questline is really urgent from one beat to the next, you should choose how many side quests you want to do accordingly. It’s definitely from the yakuza school of design in that respect except you have to go marginally farther out of your way for the local flavor. I think it’s a bonafide weakness but a very minor one once you get on its level.

I really enjoy hacking because it lets me opt entirely out of battling certain obnoxious enemies, especially since the levels have scaled back up to An Annoying Number Of Hits To Kill Things again.

What in the world is this Lock On thing you guys are talking about

1 Like