Nier 2

to break the combat over your knee use the crit+ sword (ancient overlord i think?) and crit+ chips

1 Like

@talbain sums it up pretty good, I think - namely that if you do not know about these chips initially (or arenā€™t having a go at combining them to chain effects to your advantage asap), it can be a bit frustrating, I guess.

Iā€™ve listened to a bit of ranting about dodging and the combat, but since thatā€™s the bit I absolutely like about the game, I cannot say if players are just being unlucky or struggling for real here. Just thinking that when s.o. used to playing beatā€™emā€™ups is saying that he has trouble determining what he has to dodge, i donā€™t feel like dismissing this or assuming that Iā€™m such a pro at gaming that I donā€™t have those problemsā„¢.

And yeah, having played quite a few shootā€™em ups also makes these bits more fun than they probably should be.

+ a thought I've had yesterday, re mem-chips: tri-Ace sure did train me well to have a feeling for the potential of chaining the effects of some mem-chips, e.g. bullet-time+continuing combo+perfect dodge bonus+damage/deadly heal sound like they could make life instantly easier than it should be. Haven't tried that combo, since I am only now trying buying all of them ā€¦ not sure if j. doe also thinks the same way here, but I just _love_ experimenting with them.

Iā€™ve been down to my last heal item against three different bosses over the course of normal difficulty, and every time itā€™s been totally accidental, like I just happened to buy or be holding enough to barely squeak through. this is thrilling! however, the encounters in this game arenā€™t really tight enough (or not-overlong enough) that I wouldnā€™t have been irritated by dying at any of those times, so itā€™s just as well that I didnā€™t.

1 Like

yeah the effect was good but I was really not in the mood for it when it came up, idk

So I started a clean, fresh play to see how fast I could get through the game with no sidequesting, and even with the chips, this makes the fights much more interesting. I havenā€™t died yet and I am almost at the end of Loop A though, so not much more challenging. Iā€™m like 5 levels below every boss I face, as opposed to several levels above them, so my damage isnā€™t quite as good, but that is OK.

2 Likes

Hoping this thing will run alright on my 960 if I just turn down the settings a bit. Guess I got Steam refund to fall back on otheriwse.

Be aware that it does like to use the default Intel display driver. I had to fiddle with it to get it to recognize my graphics card.

Is there any way to stop games from doing that completely? Only recently got a laptop that had both integrated and a dedicated GPU for the first time and it took a lot of head-scratching before I figured out that Hitman: Episodes (oh hey, thatā€™s Squeenix too!) was using the wrong one like you said (even weirder was how the names for the two seemed to be reversed in the settings menu?)

Platinum

Go to your Control Panel and look at your nVidia Control Panel, and under Manage 3D Settings
There should be an option where you force the nVidia graphics card to be used in all instances.

Basically, change the Auto-select to be ā€œhigh performanceā€ or whatever and it should force the card on. (Do the same in the Program Settings Tab to be sure). This will, Iā€™m pretty sure, turn it on in all instances.

this will use it for web browsers and kill you battery life, though.

Iā€™ve been living with this since 2010 and Iā€™ve learned to make a habit of checking for any game sub-AA.

You can also context-click on a programā€™s .exe and select ā€˜run with graphics processorā€™->

basically do not buy a laptop with switchable graphics

1 Like

yeah, almost always small laptop + desktop for games is better than trying to do both in one

I managed it back when ā€˜multimedia laptopsā€™ were still a thing but now you only see non-gamer graphics cards in Macbook Pro-alikes and I havenā€™t been that happy with my XPS 15 and it was way too expensive

particularly now that in-home streaming is pretty widely functional!

well 3D mid-budget gamedev is an edge case where my needs are met by very few laptops

I really really wish more OEMs (by which I pretty much just mean Dell since theyā€™re the only apple alternative these days who arenā€™t consistently embarrassing) would ship 28w Iris in their 13" models.

Apple only ships the 28w Iris in the touchbar 13" MBP rather than the non-touchbar version, which is even crueler. really hoping that changes after they refresh with 10nmā€¦

I use laptops mostly by necessity of living in a hole in a wall and living in-between Seattle, Austin, and New York. A desktop wasnā€™t easy to travel with but a laptop is much easier. Granted, it still mostly just sits at home, but every now and then Iā€™ll go somewhere for a while and I can justify lugging it along.

I also have a tablet but Iā€™m mostly using it for reading and not much else as of late.

I think itā€™s a perfectly fine mission.
I think the problem lies with what happens as you exit. The game just dumps random plot points and progresses past a great mission that should stand on itā€™s own.

Iā€™m at 29 hours in the middle of loop b? i keep piddling around during side-quests worried that theyā€™ll become inaccessible later.

some of the side-quests have decent rewards, like pod programs (even though bomb (charge it x3), mirage, and hammer are pretty much my staples), but the real reward of side-quests are their slightly off-center endings.

do i have to use my scanner to go rare-item hunting to get the materials to upgrade my higher level weapons and pods? i only have one pod at level 2. man i hope not.

Wouldnā€™t surprise me but most scanner items seems to be quest specific or just a touch above the usual stuff strewn about.