Nier 2

The gameā€™ll unequivocally prompt you when the time comes, no worries

and wow that prompt

1 Like

How many endings are there?

five real ones.

21 joke ones.

Did they use vowels to symbolize the five?

That is a LOT of endings though. Wow.

my wife has been watching most of this (rare for her) and after the first hour of the third loop she turned to me and said ā€œI hope you paid a lot of money for this gameā€

8 Likes

About 4 hours in on PC; it gets framey occasionally but itā€™s mostly been smooth (except the cutscenes which inexplicably run sub 30? Seems like a bug).

But goddamn this is a lovely game. The music is wonderful.

this is absolutely the best thing square has produced internally in a decade

1 Like

Nope. A through E . Also note that the joke ones are usually like two screens of text, so they are only barely an ending.

What does produced internally mean here? Because Platinum isnā€™t exactly internal Square.

But hell, I wouldnā€™t even limit it to Square. This is one of the best games I have ever played.

I donā€™t agree ā€“ there are plenty of things that donā€™t really work! itā€™s sort of grated on me to see isfet fawning over this on twitter because other than the circumstances surrounding its production (it is seriously wonderful to see taro yoko matched with a highly competent team and an adequate budget), Iā€™m not sure that itā€™s more successful overall than some of the best mid-budget indies from recent years (I love mid-budget indies (I am the aging wolf parade reunion of videogames)). for example:

• the characters are really succesfully drawn for the story thatā€™s being told, but they arenā€™t particularly three-dimensional and the dialogue is only ever good-animu
  • just because the sidequests are all wonderfully offbeat and (often) sad doesnā€™t elevate their implementation beyond busywork
  • the combat is a little bit at odds with itself in terms of heal spamming and whatnot, and the weapons and chip spec-ing will push most players in a similar direction
  • the world geometry is kind of goofy

that said, it does some really uncommon things well! the cinematography (and the palette), the tone, the playing-with-form, and the overall storytelling are all super great, and I definitely expect it to be one of my favourite games from this year. but it does bug me that certain elements of the audience seem to be sort of unduly focused on japanese console stuff (the same way that other audiences are hypothetically focused on lawnmower open world games with progression systems), to the point of only lauding certain aspects of a game being evoked well relative to the trappings of their genre relative to other (usually recent, usually overlooked!) games which have really raised the bar.

to be clear I think this game is fuckinā€™ great.

w/r/t ā€œinternal squareā€ I simply meant that a portion of the creative staff (Yoko, and didnā€™t Yoshida work on this, and there are probably others) work at Square, and probably werenā€™t entirely alone in collaborating with Platinum. that alone makes it the best thing that Squareā€™s internal teams have touched in a decade.

Did you get Ending E yet? That ending alone makes me just not even care about so much else because it was so successful for me. Iā€™m not saying there arenā€™t problems in the game, just that I donā€™t care about them. Heck, their existence almost makes it better for me in a way.

I get what you are saying on the Square thing, and I canā€™t really argue because I donā€™t even know what Square has really done internally in the past decade other than the ff13 debacle, ff14 eventually turning into a really good game, and ff15. I mean, the enix side has done some alright DQ stuff, but that doesnā€™t beat out this at all, yeah.

not yet! I think Iā€™ve got another couple days to go since my wife has wanted to watch ever since weird things started happening on a consistent basis and sheā€™s usually only up for 90 minutes at a time.

i think if the writing of the generic rpg style sidequests makes me want to do every single one of them, then it does elevate them beyond busywork. but maybe iā€™m enjoying that aspect more than you are.
i would also argue that they almost all tie into the world building of game too.

1 Like

that godawful ballad over the credits almost spoiled the endings for me

1 Like

for me theyā€™re good but theyā€™re not witcher good and not quite even yakuza good

24 hours, 42 minutes; got [A] ending, cannot wait to have a go again.

regarding the heal-spamming thing, listening to a friend of mine who is also playing this, we (as in: people playing Platinum games) seem to forget that ā€œnormalā€ people are having a steep learning curve ahead of them, and seem to cling on for dear life more often than we might think.

Iā€™ve played this on normal, and died three or four times, two times when going back to the desert and finding an opening, where I expect that robot-girl from this side mission to be ā€¦ those self-destructing guys got me too fast ~~~, once ā€¦ somewhere I donā€™t remember, and once in the factory ruins when i didnā€™t pay attention and got stamped to death, bosses though havenā€™t been a huge issue for me. So I find it quite interesting to listen to how a friend of mine, which is a Souls-nerd (so he knows his way around hard games for sure), is faring.
So, when youā€™re watching some combat you have been doing, you start to realize that there is hell going on, and a lot of the time as well ā€¦ and I start to wonder how Iā€™ve been doing this, and thatā€™s when I realize how someone coming from a RPG-background must feel when playing this.
Must feel like playing Mario Kart 1 and jumping straight to F-Zero GX, I guess ā€¦

Ah, OK, fair enough. That ending was what pushed this over into:

for me. I think my final play clock was around 34 hours or so, which seemed about right.

Iā€™ve died way more than this but Iā€™m also not really used to Nier or Platinum games (never beat Bayonetta 1/2, or any Platinum game now that I think about it - though Iā€™ve played almost all of them if the Wikipedia page is correct). Not a huge fan of difficulty levels and if there is something extremely difficult it being some form of optional content would be fine.

So far I still think this game has more visual personality in a span of 20 minutes than most games have in an entire playthrough. I agree that some of the sidequests are a mess but Iā€™m still doing them just to spend more time staring at the scenery. Gameā€™s visual storytelling is some of the best Iā€™ve ever seen in a game and reminiscent of old SNES games where you can get so much information by just looking at the environment. The 2B and Pod banter is fun too.

So.

[spoiler]i cannot remember having been Trolled by a game so hard like this game did just now. Got endin[G] and gosh, those first few minutes of run #2 are already worth having played this game. Serious GOTY contender now!

So. Good![/spoiler]

1 Like