[NIИ]

OUR SCORE FOR THE FILM BIRD BOX IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE IN HIGH-RESOLUTION HERE . THIS SAME VERSION WILL APPEAR ON STREAMING SERVICES BY JAN 25TH (OR SOONER). LIKE ALL SOUNDTRACK RECORDS WE RELEASE, WE AIM FOR THESE TO PLAY LIKE ALBUMS THAT TAKE YOU ON A JOURNEY AND CAN EXIST AS COMPANION PIECES TO THE FILMS AND AS THEIR OWN SEPARATE WORKS.

WE CREATED A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF MUSIC AND CONCEPTUAL SOUND FOR BIRD BOX, A LOT OF WHICH NEVER MADE IT TO YOUR EARS IN THE FINAL VERSION OF THE FILM. WE’VE DECIDED TO PRESENT YOU WITH THIS VERSION OF THE SOUNDTRACK RECORD THAT REPRESENTS WHAT BIRD BOX IS TO US. WE HOPE YOU ENJOY.

FOR THOSE INTERESTED, WE WILL BE RELEASING A MORE EXPANSIVE (READ: MORE SELF-INDULGENT) PHYSICAL-ONLY OFFERING THIS SPRING THAT WILL CONTAIN AN ADDITIONAL HOUR OF MUSIC AND ARTWORK THAT COLORS FURTHER OUTSIDE THE LINES… ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!

LOTS COMING IN 2019,
TRENT

1 Like

The hell? How many films are they scoring at any given time now?

1 Like

Stir a dirty memory. Watching this w/friends not quite aware of the content was uh, kind of a raw taste testing. Tracks with most stories back then but I never gathered Peter Christopherson directed it.

https://www.revolvermag.com/culture/nine-inch-nails-broken-movie-story-behind-infamous-viral-vhs-snuff-film?fbclid=IwAR0wx1jYvl5zSsXY9v6tXKa5cUC7pf5hG2cVW5_z9vyyzXhAEcQg5J15AAE

2 Likes

I really dig Hesitation Marks, it feels like a throwback to Pretty Hate Machine with all the advances in electronics that came since but has an identity of its own. That said Bad Witch is everything great about an album like The Fragile but distilled. Might be my favourite of all of them.

1 Like

I hadn’t made the PHM analogy, given all the overt throwbacks it makes to TDS, but you’re right. It’s got that same thing going on in the middle, especially, where PHM has several very similar medium-grade songs that kind of blend together. And it’s not really pushing creative boundaries like some NIN records, but rather working within a certain highly produced romantic groove, as PHM is. Sort of like Depeche Mode/Violator.

“In Two” remains absolutely one of my favorite NIN tracks. And, uh, “Everything” is well-titled as well, because it kind of is that.

1 Like

I think the TDS references hurt it, especially since it came after a lull in NIN releases–after stuff like Ghosts and Reznor’s side projects people were expecting a return to form.

Man, I love how quickly the Bird Box OST hit after Bad Witch. I know it was in development for a while, but that the duo signed on in the midst of their other work makes me think they’re feeling inspired. I wonder if we’ll get more stuff this year.

All this cross-inspired material between the NIN and soundtrack work makes me feel cheated out of several decades of sporadic Oingo Boingo releases.

2 Likes

i didn’t really like Hesitation Marks when it released, but after a few months, it grew on me. maybe it was Stockholm Syndrome, or maybe it was just my acceptance of what they were doing.

Bad Witch is the first thing i’ve heard from them in years, though, that felt like it could be an interesting new direction. not that i didn’t like the other releases, but i’m curious to see where it goes.

is the Bird Box OST actually new material, or is it just more recycling of The Social Network/Ghosts?

I am very owned.

3 Likes

I know the movie is out and I could ask Jeeves for the real situation, but if I were a mouse and were making a movie that bridges the late 80s to the present day, I guess NIN would be the most obvious choice for recognizable and still active cool band across that period? U2 ain’t gonna work.

Maybe we’ll get a cool scene in Infinity Crusade where she tells that homophobic dude that his mom’s mixtapes suck.

1 Like

He really is the son of Bowie.

Conspiracy theory, though: They wanted Foo Fighters because of its thematic relevance but couldn’t make it work for some reason.

1 Like

Trent has spent his entire career catching up to Bowie. Compare Bad Witch to Blackstar. I’d also like to hear Trent’s take on Scary Monsters.

I think I have that bootleg somewhere.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Still my favorite album.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is such a superb, earnest speech. I don’t even like the Cure that much, but I’m super motivated to go through and give them a millionth shot, in search of what I’ve missed all those other times.

2 Likes

I prefer the middle-era Cure, when they were less interested in romance as having sex with everything that moved

Does this include, like, ladybugs and mopeds?

Mm more like snakepits and motorcycles, same diff.