[NIИ]

Yea, cool thread, love The Trento.

Around 2014 in a NIN group on facebook I saw this short film made by a young film student (I was also a young film student). It was her first work and I absolutely loved the vibe and the editing, so I contacted her. We met that year, we’ve been friends since then and now we’re working in a design studio together. Anyway, here’s the thing, music is 9 Ghosts I:

2 Likes
4 Likes

1 Like

(source)

12 Likes

im STILL mad about how they recolored this cover for the 2010 re-release

5 Likes

I found this interesting, and it ends with a nice piano improv.

This has long been one of my favorite Nine Inch Nails songs, even though it falls within a period where I didn’t care as much for a lot of his output.

Edit: The person who created the above video also arranged all of The Downward Spiral for piano:

Edit 2: I’ve been listening to some of her analyses of the songs on The Downward Spiral and, although a lot of the music jargon goes over my head, I’m enjoying the commentary. She used a surround sound version of the album to isolate sounds where relevant, and I’ve never heard those elements in isolation before. For example, something I’d always thought was a voice in the background of “A Warm Place” isn’t.

4 Likes

ah shit i forgot that Right Where It Belongs always makes me cry. god damn trent

4 Likes

With Teeth always felt like NIN goes adult contemporary rock, but it actually kind of works for those last two tracks.

While I wasn’t crazy about the bulk of the album when it hit, I did like that it felt like a necessary swerve thematically lest they become a joke like Manson. And I think their evolution since has demonstrated that was the case.

6 Likes

Kind of wild they scored two comic book movies this year.

1 Like

5 Likes

Trent Reznor recorded a studio version of the March of the Pigs extended ending specifically for Fortnite.

According to a developer in a livestream:

“This is a studio recording of what they play live. It’s the only recording that exists.”

“Only to be found on [Fortnite Festival].”

“Remember the other day when I said Trent was a fan of the game?”

“[Trent Reznor] offered [to record the extended version]. He wanted to change songs for improved gameplay.”

2 Likes

I was confused and excited to check this out but man… it’s a pretty crappy version of the song. Removing “take the skin and peal it back” bit is even more censored than peak MTV would have cared to do.

6 Likes

Picking Anakin to sing it in that video was a pretty funny choice though.

3 Likes

Spending too much time looking backwards feels dangerous to me, but this day on the calendar caught my attention. Has it really been that long, old friend?
I just spent an hour listening to this time capsule of what 28 year old me had to say, and it still excites me and breaks my heart.
Be kind to yourselves. Hope to see you soon.

TR 3.8.24

9 Likes
3 Likes