new flcl !!!!!!!

!!! wow

x-posting from the cartoons thread:

[quote]In the new season of FLCL, many years have passed since Naota and Haruhara Haruko shared their adventure together. Meanwhile, the war between the two entities known as Medical Mechanica and Fraternity rages across the galaxy. Enter Hidomi, a young teenaged girl who believes there is nothing amazing to expect from her average life, until one day when a new teacher named Haruko arrives at her school. Soon enough, Medical Mechanica is attacking her town and Hidomi discovers a secret within her that could save everyone, a secret that only Haruko can unlock.

But why did Haruko return to Earth?

What happened to her Rickenbacker 4001 she left with Naota?

And where did the human-type robot ‘Canti’ go?

All of these questions and more will be answered in the new season of the series, which is set to premiere in late 2017/early 2018 on Adult Swim.[/quote]

What a miserable idea

I am primed to be disappointed

My forehead boner is confused :frowning:

of all the sequel series announcements (of which there are way too fuckin’ many) this one somehow feels the most disappointing

i wish all the same team would just make a spiritual successor or new show but nah, gotta get that name recognition, dogg

yeah…

i am cautiously curious, obv there’s a lot of room to fuck up but who knows, maybe it’ll be good

was def a big surprise to me!

you know what would be cool

if someone but up the money for Birdy Decode S3

no?

okay

:gotohell:

Can FLCL2 possibly hope to meet the bar of I-Guess-This-Is-A-Sequel set by Diebuster?

hopefully going to just be a gender-swapped version of original except for haruko

here we go, a picture that encompasses by thoughts on this

1 Like

Where does the arrow point?

:gotohell:

If this is the price I have to pay for getting another season of Majestic Prince, if this is what restores the balance of anime karma, so be it

Just don’t fuck it up too badly

1 Like

All points to this likely not being good. I hope I’m wrong this time, though.

Idk, a post-timejump FLCL with new protagonist doesn’t sound so bad. Then again, the first one was basically a tech demo for animation. They’ve already annouced they want 2 seasons of this so they probably care about having a plot arc and whatnot, defeating the entire purpose.

so, this is about to happen

well, I guess it’s kind of already happening. some parts of the US are probably watching it right now.

and also it’s the season finale (of FLCL Progressive), so I guess it’s fair to say it’s basically already happened. until it happens again.

I may have waited a bit too long on making this post.

But the episodes will air in order again starting next week. So if you do that thing with TV, but didn’t, you can. If you want to.

Maybe I should rewind a bit…

This second season of FLCL, more akin to a British ‘series’, is called FLCL Progressive and debuted in the Toonami whirlwind at the start of June. A third season, FLCL Alternative, will show in same in September. That’s also when Japan will get both, with each season being a theatrical screening (!)(?) - Progressive on the 7th, Alternative on the 28th.

Before this all started, though, some got a sneak peek of the series. On April 1st at midnight, while I was napping off a bad headache, Toonami aired the first episode of Alternative with Japanese audio and English subtitles (as they did with the other shows they ran that night). selectbutton, of course, was there to watch for me.

at first, of course, there was the usual strong enthusiasm tempered by a cautious perspective:

however, there was soon an extremely negative backlash by at least half of those who watched and commented on it, with the show being subjected to damning critical analysis:

others had a more optimistic and favorable opinion:

I’m not sure how those last quotes got in there. Probably an error.

...well, anyway. I'll be watching the finale of Progressive soon, and maybe say something about it then. I wasn't quite ready for it to be here already, because at some point I was under the heavily mistaken impression that Progressive and Alternative were each 10~12 episodes long (they're both 6, like the original). I was really hoping and looking forward to more decompression room for the new cast of weirdos. Well, it is what it is.

Other than that, I don’t have much comment to pass on the show, other than to say it’s quite strange, but a different kind of strange than the original. A strange I’m as of yet unable to adquately describe. Maybe upon further digestion.

Nobody else here seems to have talked about Progressive, although I suppose I might have missed it somehow.
It probably all happened in Discord.
Or not at all.

Oh right, if you wanted nice animation, there’s some choice stuff at the start of s2e5 (Fool on the Planet).
But if you were hoping for just pure craziness, maybe you’ll be pleased to know that Toonami runs Pop Team Epic at midnight.

Thanks for saying there are theater showings I will try to go to them!

1 Like

I watched 1 ep of each.

Didn’t get very good impressions from them. Had a couple of moments but overall it feels bland and generified. Devoid of deeper theme

I think I’m going to skip it. I can’t go back. Might have been one of the last English dubs I watched

fuck i should watch this huh