n64 - 20 years on

see i like Super Mario 64 so much more than something like B-K b/c it doesnt feel like youre just collecting all the doodads. i go into a Banjo-Kazooie level and it’s like “ok where are all the things for me to pick up,” in a SM64 level it’s more like “how do i get over there” and the answer usually involves doing some backflips and triple-jumps. It could use tighter level design and the camera is a train wreck, for sure, but its a lot more enjoyable to dip into and mess around in than its copycats.

2 Likes

Mario 64 is joyful.

2 Likes

i’ve played Jumping Flash not too long ago and disagree that it’s a better aesthetic, but hey that’s o~p~i~n~i~o~n~s

Man I also loved WCW vs NWO: World Tour I remember that game at random times

1 Like

The problem with Jumping Flash vs Mario 64 is framerate.

I say this as Jumping Flash Fan #1 Forever

1 Like

yeah that game is the prequel to no mercy for all intents and purposes

mario 64 rules no question about it

3 Likes

it’s like the pre-pre-prequel. it went World Tour > WCW Revenge > Wrestlemania 2000 > No Mercy

VPW2 is the best one though (at least that’s what the cool kids like AJ Styles say)

2 Likes

ok yeah I was thinking of wcw revenge

I entirely forgot about wrestlemania 2000

i’m pretty sure my very first experience with GameFaqs was looking up the precise ways to make CAW’s of people not featured in Wrestlemania 2000 (namely all the ECW characters i liked), and printing out huge documents and spending hours making so many people in W2000 and No Mercy

the no mercy create a wrestler mode is truly a marvel

I think I eventually bugged out my cart using it too much

2 Likes

this guy has a cool channel where he just reviews every wrestling game ever made
here’s the one of VPW2

3 Likes

I had friends who imported a bunch of videogames and loved wrestling, so I got to play VPW2 for a good bit. I can see why one would claim it is the best as it has a few little things that the WWE games didn’t (you can rip someones mask off) and I think it was the only one whose create a wrestle let you select if any strike or possibly move was capable of bloodying or KOing your opponent. Beyond that it is basically the same game.

…That game may be the best N64 game.

Ah yes, I remember playing all the wrestling games on N64 back in the day with my best friend who loved wrestling even though I had no interest in it whatsoever.
Then I let his big secret out that he liked dressing up and performing wrestling moves in his backyard and we were never friends again, and both got suspended from school when actual violence ensued.

I think that guy is an actual pro wrestler now

7 Likes

I preferred Wrestlemania 2000 to No Mercy cuz the roster was way worse. This made the Royal Rumble more fun. If you picked, like, the Rock or your cool-ass CAW and got eliminated there was a good chance you’d get stuck playing old timer Pat Patterson or Meat or Viscera, and if you won with those turds it was really funny. Or at least it was among the group I played with.

No Mercy is post-Radicalz, so you had fuckin Benoit and Guerrero and all these other legit good wrestlers in there, which was cool, but not really funny. Also I think the framerate was worse in the 4 player modes, which stunk. And it had some save bug. I lived in fear of that bug. But No Mercy was probably the better game overall.

I played both a bit a few months ago, when testing N64 games I was considering selling. Thought maybe I’d be willing to part with both of them, but no. They’re still great games. I was shocked that I still remembered all the controls. They’re some complicated shit but they’ve stuck with me 15 years later.

My Sisqo CAW was really good.

3 Likes

no mercy had kurt angle so it is automatically better

2 Likes

No Mercy’s framerate took a big hit when doing some of the big gimmick matches with more than two competitors, that was a shame.

I recall one day my friend and I were bored so we voluntarily chose to play as Patterson and Briscoe in a tag team match against two others who went with like Big Show and some other top guy. Somehow we were really on and just trounced them, I think we even took them out with a double figure four spot. We did not let them hear the end of it for a couple of weeks.

…We used the create a wrestler mainly to remake the “extra” wrestlers from WCW Revenge. Also Sid because Sid.

2 Likes

AKIMan is my favorite wrestler

2 Likes

Hey, no one mentioend Robotron 64 yet. I never got round to it till just now and it’s good!

I remembered it mostly because it’s one of the few games that has a two controller mode.

(edit: maybe peopel prefer the PlayStaion one, I haven’t tried that yet)

1 Like

So I played Second Attack for a bit and it’s poo.

There’s an annoying anime-blob sidekick and there’s no bomb pumping (maybe you unlock it later?)

Played this till level 102 or something. You have a score, but it seems more focused on just beating levels. Didn’t get actually challenging till the 80s or 90s. It has a real nice pace though. High BPM music that doesn’t stop or reset (and doesn’t seem to loop), and all the little cutscenes between levels can be skipped.

PSX version looks nicer (the score sits on the edge of the board and the graphics are more like the original), but the N64 has a camera which shows you the board at once.

1 Like