n64 - 20 years on

that piano bgm. that piano BGM.

1 Like

oh yeah i was just being silly :3

[quote=“geist, post:14, topic:2858, full:true”]
1080° snowboarding: WORK YA BODY, WORK YA BODY, WORK YA BODY WORK YA BODY WORK YA BODY WORK YA BODY, WORK YA BODY WORK YA BODY [/quote]

2 Likes

Banjo-Kazooie is not really a good game, ok bye

Had to choose between Zelda and MGS back in 98 and MGS won out so I’m just here to throw shade

Not really, I very much love Mario 64 and Blast Corps and Sin & Pun

The real reason I’m posting iz because someone mentioned Mission Impossible and memories began to flood in of all these high res renders they used to have in the monthly sheets and I would fantasize about playing these amazing looking games and then one day you plug in Zelda and it’s like quick, someone bring me grandma’s glasses, something’s wrong

its awful cute when kazooie pokes out and pecks banjo on the head and giggles though. kazooie’s ok

The promises of the N64 were totally fulfilled for me when i was a kid, and i let Mario fall asleep on the beach of Jolly Roger Bay and he started naming types of pasta in his dreams

4 Likes

i think i played every Rare 64 game EXCEPT Banjo and Kazooie, i was pretty obsessed with DK 64 in particular, i don’t remember a single damn thing from it though except for the yellow cartridge and the DK rap, obviously

i think one of my proudest moments of my 20’s is absolutely destroying a whole bunch of people at Mario Kart 64 at a videogame warehouse party in San Francisco. the game was being projected on a huge wall and i was well over the appropriate limit of coherent intoxication but for like an hour i was summoning all of the muscle memory i had formed over a decade and change playing Kart 64 and using it to publicly massacre a ton of people who probably just wanted to play a quick round before moving onto something else but instead were privy to me, a shitheel Yoshi gleefully cheering their demise. after that i played SFIV and lost every match and never showed my face at those parties again

7 Likes

blast corps rules all

still believe that it is the true ancestor of modern GTA

still incredulous that it has never had a sequel of any kind, it would work as both as a current gen game or as a low poly fetishist remix

1 Like

Yo what about Winback I think that game seems prescient in hindsight

4 Likes

Do you mean Body Harvest?

Nope!

There was a sort-of-not-really spiritual sequel in Red Faction: Guerilla. You accomplished more on foot and with a hammer than smashing vehicles through structures, however.

1 Like

so what is the best N64 game? is it blast corps? is it…sin and punishment?

it’s probably just smash bros. isn’t it

no mercy is top 5

1 Like

i actually think super mario 64 might just be the best. my list is probably:

super mario 64
blast corps
smash
majora’s mask
perfect dark

but goddamn no mercy is one of those endlessly enjoyable classics
tough to leave f-zero and goldeneye off the list as well

1 Like

It’s Pokemon Snap

1 Like

it’s super mario 64, they fuckin’ hit it out of the ballpark with the very first game (sorry pilotwings 64)

it’s a game so good it’ll be it’s own college course, at least according to someone

1 Like

i have pretty strong, somewhat illogical nostalgic ties to the game, perhaps more than any other videogame, and went through it again like half a year ago (120 stars and all) and have seen how it falters in a lot of places.

for one, the camera is flat out broken in areas and yes it feels a bit unpolished, loose and a bit “collecty” in spots, but i’m still kind of amazed at how absolutely playable it is. i like how much they did with each small level and there’s still just a wonderful feeling to running, sliding and hopping around such a somewhat unristricted 3D space. the fact that you can collect starts accidentally just through exploration and discovery via mario’s movement, none of which is super explained to you, just found out by bounding around yourself. the goals and platforming layouts aren’t as polished, but then again it felt like a massive experiment to see what you could even DO with 3D platforming at the time and the fact that it’s still so playable and that one youtube guy still has so much to say about the physics and how to manipulate them still speaks wonders as to how they assembled it.

for its platforming levels it doesn’t hold up but for the feeling of running around as mario, in an open world, it still holds up. plus it’s got this incredibly charming, lo-poly “dreamlike” aesthetic that shows they really put some thought into doing a lot with what little they had and that’s why the game still looks good and most Rare 64 platformers look like crayon barf.

2 Likes

I really disliked Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, and Castlevania 64. For me, they were part of a shift toward 3D-for-the-sake-of-3D that marked a serious step down from each game’s predecessors. I tried Castlevania 64 several times over the years, telling myself each time that I must have judged it too harshly. After all, it was Castlevania. But it really was that bad.

It was a combination of Zelda 64 and Jumping Flash 2 that made me see that decent games could be made with rough 3D graphics. And when I realized that, I finally gave R-Type Delta a chance. And that one was excellent.

Definitely one of my favorites. The sequel was decent, but fell short of the original. I guess there was another sequel after that, too.

This is a good one.