Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

And then why would you foreground it as the first thing in your trailer as if it’s good enough to be a selling point? Oof.

I’ve played some of this, and it has some neat ideas but the control for charged attacks is extremely wonky (hold the button to charge, but then you need to release the button and press it again to do the attack) and there are a couple of occasions when I’ve knocked the ball backwards off the screen, killing me, when I try to block a ball with my body instead of a slash attack. The focus is also on a “campaign” of playing lots of stages and getting hidden items for collecting purposes, rather than say, survival and score.

Oh, some of the boss fights are super tedious, too.

There’s a good game in here but it needs a re-working, I think.

From someone who’s seen them all, that is the worst spider-man costume.

Can’t wait for the game…

1 Like

but well the web slining be as good as spider-man 2

this is not a dril

2 Likes

as long as it’s better than web hook.

http://www.ioi.dk/the-future-of-ioi/

5 Likes

Good luck! A studio that size has a burn rate or 2-3 million dollars a month, hope they live long enough to reap some residuals from their own games

yeah this doesn’t seem good exactly

I thought the recent Hitmans were profitable, just not publicly-traded-conglomerate profitable?

yeah but that’s the problem, they need to be insulated from risk somehow at their size (one flop or overlong dev cycle could kill them, and it’s not clear they could even do something new-hitman-scale again on their own) but it’s apparently not lucrative enough for a big publisher to carry

2 Likes

Maybe they have Hitman season 2 stuff ready to go?

yeah that’d be the best option at this stage, I’d forgotten about that

ill-fated MMO that dies on the vine is what I think’s going to happen

I could see them doing quite well for themselves in the spirit of Machine Games.

I can think of a good number of franchises that would benefit from being handed over to IO. Then again, that exposes them to the same risk that sank GRIN.

they were bought by bethesda almost immediately after being independently incorporated

squeenix and bethesda have both been really good stewards of mid-to-large-size studios over the past few years – between them they’ve been by far the most substantial source of big-budget games that are still really interesting and uncynical and don’t lean too hard on established brands during this gen – which is why I’m sad to see that model faltering.

OK, fine, Platinum Games. No one begrudges them for their middling licensed games.

If only there was some way they could still have square do their trailers for them

I came here just to post this and @sleepysmiles

3 Likes

are we counting the part where they practice predatory shit in order to put studios in a position to get bought up

1 Like