Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

Brood War is getting a 1.18 patch this week that improves compatibility with modern operating systems, supports the Fish server natively, and makes the game free to play.

StarCraft Remastered comes out this summer and brings SC up to 4K resolutions and modern online play features.

1 Like

Ok, now for a Diablo 1 remaster!

1 Like

remaster will have real observer controls and presumably an observer UI too, should help people watch the game

You can’t buy this or Warcraft II from their classics range? Is this a rights thing?

It’s not entirely clear to me if this will support fanmade maps or even Precursor and Enslavers? If it’s just a graphical overhaul it’s likely still a feature but the omission seems odd to me.

Anyway…

1 Like

as it stands, the only games you can’t buy from Blizzard now in some fashion are WC, WCII and Diablo. SC just got delisted presumably because they’re going to start offering the OG for free. None of the “classic” stuff is available through the battle.net Blizzard app/launcher and odds are the remaster has more to do with visibility to the millions playing Hearthstone, WoW and Overwatch.

also the original and BW are going to be free

I don’t know, it’s bizarre to say the least. What I do know (if unknown by Blizzard North advocates) is that it is being remade within Diablo III. Not at all what most of us want, but perhaps adds validity to your questioning of the rights for the original game.

Who the hell knows.

I would put the original WarCraft on that list too, but I know at that point I am asking for way too much.

Frustrating beyond all else, that’s for sure.

the Diablo 1 remake thing was just an event and should have been patched out by now. even then, it wasn’t anything special since the game was still mechanically Diablo III

also, let’s be honest, Diablo II in “HD” that works completely fine on modern OSes would be the end of all of us. I can’t say the same about the original Diablo.

I’ll be honest, I want the direct opposite. Diablo II is vastly overrated compared to the original. I could speak volumes about the sheer brilliance of Diablo 1 and its use of themes that most games have barely scratched upon to this day.

I won’t, it would be a bore to most, I’m sure.

1 Like

where do you think we are, please share

I’ll concede that while I consider Diablo II a more complete and interesting game, Diablo 1 is probably a more compelling experience

1 Like

I could write a masters thesis on Diablo but I don’t have time for that shit so I’ll be a little more succinct.

I’m trying to think of some games here, perhaps Super Metroid, maybe, where the world building is thoroughly realized all the way through. Diablo might be the most thematically consistent game there is. In its own league where the essence of dread and evil never ever let up in any way shape or form. From the box art, all the way to the ending revelation that you, the player, unconsciously created through the quest of supposed courage and glory to relinquish the darkness once and for all.

I mean, the overworld is a fucking village, and yet, all the characters manage to have so much depth adding to the other world, the underworld and all its sub-levels, that reinforce the foreboding forces waiting to escape the crusted cage beneath the planet’s surface (you can find the glowing cracks off to the side away from the huts just to support my point).

The overworld represents faith; everybody looks to you, the player, for they are afraid. The underworld represents fear; pervaded and perpetrated by Diablo. Courage is one of the main active themes (governed by you, the player) with which you use to seek out and destroy Evil (symbolised as Diablo; the thematic motivator).

Everything encompasses those themes all the way through. The villagers dialogue changes with more hope as you sink lower through the sublevels (thus they endow trust revealing secrets, lore, info etc). The monsters become more vicious as you move farther. The environments become more surreal and less earthly as you move further. You, the hero become stronger (rewarded with abilities etc) by active courage (through the prism of Choice, Consequence and Chance).

The consistency is un-matched IMHO and should be study for most designers of today when designing their latest RPG project.

4 Likes

for my part I remember the “Diablo 1 was better” argument from back in like 2001 and my main problem with it then was that it was, if anything, too obvious?

like, one game is a really atmospheric dungeon crawler, the other is a totally iconic and fairly successful online multiplayer clickfest with a pretty accessible and complete-for-its-time economy and world

1 Like

Classic Brood War is getting this this week as well!

I watched a Yahoo eSports interview last night and it sounds like the remaster effort was entirely additive, as they merely patched the existing classic StarCraft engine to add extra support for modern Bnet and switchable higher resolution assets. You can still log into legacy Bnet and play there with non-remaster players if you really wanna, so I don’t see why third-party maps wouldn’t also work.

this is a good post but I want to refute pretty much all of it on the basis that everything that happened in the first diablo was pure creative chance and none of it had to be intentional on the basis of a bunch of goofy dudes in an office listening to too much heavy metal

it is Not Sufficiently Grim b/c none of it really happened on purpose; maybe it was one of the better of the Last Singleplayer Dungeon Crawls of the pre indie era

diablo 2 is a much different game than 1 in a number of ways but yeah we’ve had that conversation over and over since, uh, d2 came out really.

d1 has far more in common with the roguelites of today than d2 does, tbh. especially in single player where stuff actually stays dead.

Diablo 1 in D3 was real bad

1 Like

there’s an ys 8 demo on jpsn

2 Likes

In addition to multiplayer trial, on 3/30 it’ll have a demo with the tutorial and a single player level.

Just watching footage of DrkS3’s DLC is making me wish it only had one boss

Romancing SaGa 3 is getting iOS/Android and PS Vita ports: http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/492/1492780/

3 Likes